old topics being bumped *question*

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
gosox
level1
level1

old topics being bumped *question*

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:41 am

why is it that every veteran on this forums flammes people for bumping old topic
really one time is enough
and hey, if the topic is bumped, maybe the currently active users may find the topic interesting where as the old users didn't
or if they have a important peice of information they would like to add
i've been going through "the future" thread, and i want to say "good idea", or "that'll be in my game" but no, because the veterans will flame, and we can't have that

OR
the topic will eventually die, like it has before and no one sees it again
so stop the flamming
craig is the man
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:01 am

Let me try to explain it simply:

gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:43 am

i see, but there are many posts in the future section, that are very worth while, for a game creator like myself, i have read EVERY post in the future section, and i have to say, that the older topics, have more, greater topics then any of the newer topics can offer, and the fact that if someone has a usefull piece of information about that topic, shouldn't make a new one, or even get flammed for it, but welcomed, and if they are posting BS then point them in the right direction, not flamming
craig is the man
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:02 am

The issue in Uplink's particular case is the abundance of people restating things which have been known or suggested for aeons, and the reluctance of those people to actually search and discover that that ground has been trodden thousands of times before. And replies stating "good idea", or the equivalent "I agree" on Pox's wonderful graph, add absolutely nothing to the discussion. This is what it boils down to: forums - particularly quiet ones, such as Uplink's - are for discussion, not idle chatter, and so if you're not adding anything, you shouldn't be posting. And, having been around for over 6 years, in Uplink's case the likelihood of you adding anything is minute.

Someone asking for help is a different matter; if they've posted only recently, they'll probably be interested in (informed) replies. 'Helping' someone who posted 6 years ago is not helping, and neither is unfounded conjecture about the right way to do things.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 am

i can see how, yes, a very annoying post of what do i do here, or i agree can not help at all, but in the aspect of bumping a topic, gets more views, would mean, if the topic is anywhere interesting or has anything good in it, it may die like the others, and maybe that information/conversation, should be put infront of everyone, so they can see, i know about setting an example, and making sure that people do search, and flamming people to help them learn
but i think it's best to allow them to post a few "i agree"s' only because it helps bring up information that wouldn't normally be seen and it also allows the mods/admins decide more effeciently which topics is delete, because if a topic named "billybob" dies 6 times within a mont/year, then it's most likely not full of massive incredible bits of information about the game
so it's worthy of being deleted, where-as, the topic dies maybe once or twice a year, then it's worthy of staying around alittle longer
craig is the man
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:52 am

These forums are fairly anarchic... we, shall we say, self-moderate: the only thing the admins touch is spam, which gets locked and replaced with amusing python references fairly quickly. Useless, stupid or plain trolly posts tend to sink to the bottom after people lose interest: and if someone is persistent in being a nutjob, they usually receive a good berating from (ahem) someone and leave for good.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:53 am

Things don't need to be bumped to be brought to people's attention; that's what searching is for.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:53 am

Topics only get locked or deleted if they are nothing more then worthless crap, ie spam. If they actually do contain worthwhile information, or are just harmless "How do I do this" or "Idea for Uplink 2" then they are left alone (bar the flaming). The admins take a very much hands off approach to the forums, and leave it pretty much as is. Those that just constantly bump aged topics tend to get flamed till they learn to stop. Sort of self policing in a way.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:07 am

but in a way the flamer is bumping the old topic as well
even if the topic is midway to dying once again
i've seen it
i may be a newb on the forums
but i've watched the forums
and i always laugh, and say to myself when reading this "never bump old topics, let them die" i say to myself "well that goes for you too buddy"
craig is the man
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:10 am

Well if the person saying "don't bump" is posting days later, then yes you'd be right on that. But if they are posting say within 24 hours, not so much.

We like the way the forums go, some of us have been posting here for years, we like it, the admins like. If someone new comes along and wants to change it, well that's not going to happen. Just how it is.

Regardless you made a good topic about it alright, so more power to you for starting an interesting discussion on it.
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:17 am

i'm not looking to change anything
just opening the discussion and opening you as a community, as a forum, to alternitive thinking
and if its how everyone likes it, then good, but i'm sure either A you have lost people who in the future, could have made a intelligent post, or B made yourself look like an ass(curse word?)
craig is the man
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:19 am

You can swear on here, it's fine, and yes I'm one of the forums complete bastards/assholes.

Here's a thought, give this a read: http://sw.deri.org/~matteo/welcome.php

I think it'll explain it somewhat.
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:31 am

ahh, yes, it explains greatly, i've been on the internet for many years, and i've came across many ways of dealing with people on forums, some ban, some flame, and do both, i like how uplink deals with the unruley, but i just think that there are more effecient ways of getting information across, then saying that the person is worthless and so on
i think that a person who has say, - 15 posts should be told that it's not good to bump old topics, and people who are 15+ posts should be udderly flammed to a point of embarresment
but ehh
it's all in the same line of work as you do
and i have seen you around
you can be a hard-ass at times, but mehh you seem to be an ok individual
craig is the man
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:09 pm

Don't give me that sir! You couldn't smuggle a piece of grease proof paper, yet alone clocks!

NeoThermic
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:22 pm

Post Deledited
Last edited by xyzyxx on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”