Towel Day!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
jelco
level5
level5

Towel Day!

Postby jelco » Sun May 25, 2008 12:02 pm

Sorry Montyphy. :wink:

Today is the day DNA fans all over the globe celebrate his works, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" in particular. After Douglas Adams died on May 11th 2001, the day two weeks after was chosen as the international date to remember him and his works and celebrate the immense universe he has created.

Why Towel Day? Let's see...

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy wrote:A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very, very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

So, as a DNA fan, it is your duty to keep your towel with you for the entire day, to remember what a genius this man was and celebrate the masterpieces he has created.

So long Douglas, and thanks for all the fish!

"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams, March 11th 1952 - May 11th 2001

Jelco
snwcrsh
level2
level2

Postby snwcrsh » Sun May 25, 2008 2:12 pm

Happy Towel Day!
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun May 25, 2008 3:50 pm

A towel is a very useful thing to have.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun May 25, 2008 3:51 pm

Happy Bowel, err I mean Towel day.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun May 25, 2008 5:07 pm

Happy Trowel Day!

Time to go dig something up!

xander
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Sun May 25, 2008 9:44 pm

Happy Towel Day everyone!

Rest in peace Doug.
Phrage
level3
level3
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave

Postby Phrage » Mon May 26, 2008 9:42 am

gah, i found out about this too late! Now I've missed the date carrying around a towel would just be weird!
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^
(delete as appropriate)

Return to “Introversion Lounge”