Ever wait in line for a game? =]

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon May 19, 2008 11:29 pm

My first console (that my parents actually bought) was an Atari 2600. I was so jealous when my cousin got a 5200. :shock:

The oldest game I ever played though was on a friends Tandy 1000, Sopwith. *waits for inevitable older games/consoles being mentioned

I've owned a regular Nintendo, Sega Saturn, original Playstation, PS1, and now only have a PSP. Lost the PS1 in a move somehow. D'oh!

Most importantly though, I had a friend that bought a 3DO (after I insisted on him getting a PlayStation). Wing Commander 3 was pretty fun, especially after it became apparent that was the only (decent) game he'd ever get to play on his console. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue May 20, 2008 1:11 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:*waits for inevitable older games/consoles being mentioned
Atari 800 XL. Although, it was actually my dad's. Used to love watching my dad play classics like Alternate Reality, although it scared me shitless as a kid. :lol: Also, Rescue on Fractalus, another scary game :)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue May 20, 2008 7:08 am

I have to admit I got Doom 3 on the day of release. In the morning. But no waiting involved, and it sort of was a spontaneous decision that day, I'm usually more patient.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue May 20, 2008 8:50 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:My first console (that my parents actually bought) was an Atari 2600. I was so jealous when my cousin got a 5200. :shock:

The oldest game I ever played though was on a friends Tandy 1000, Sopwith. *waits for inevitable older games/consoles being mentioned

I've owned a regular Nintendo, Sega Saturn, original Playstation, PS1, and now only have a PSP. Lost the PS1 in a move somehow. D'oh!

Most importantly though, I had a friend that bought a 3DO (after I insisted on him getting a PlayStation). Wing Commander 3 was pretty fun, especially after it became apparent that was the only (decent) game he'd ever get to play on his console. :P

WC3 on PC was the awesomest thing ever. Well, close. :P
/EDIT: W3 being wing commander, not warcraft. Blast those acronym-stealing blizzard bastards. :P

And on-topic: I've never waited in line for a game, nor even bought on release day... it's only in recent years I've stopped pirating every game I play that I don't pick up at a garage sale for 50 cents (was an awesome deal for freelancer :P).
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Tue May 20, 2008 12:15 pm

Let me think.

I think the first time I studied enough magazines to actually know when a game I wanted came out (I must have been 10 at the time) - was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the N64. We drove for an hour and a half just to get to the store that sold it on release (as this was a rarity for stores in Denmark in 1998) - and went on to stand in line for another hour.

I still remember that dark game box, the sweet scent of a freshly printed instruction manual - and the 1½ hours I had to read it before getting home. And of course, the subsequent week where a friend and I did nothing but play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time.

Did I mention that the game has latest been widely considered as the best game ever?
Although GTA:IV seems to be topping it, if one is to believe Metacritic - Actually, I just checked, and OoT is still at 99, while IV is just at 98.

---

After that, I believe there has been a whole range of PC games - and lately, I waited in line on release for;

Nintendo GameCube
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Worms: Armageddon
Worms World Party

-and that's about all I can remember for now.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue May 20, 2008 12:24 pm

Worthy titles all... *remembers OOT*

One of my friends had it when I was about 7... I never played further than the first couple of hours in the time I managed to snatch on it, but I think I got the gist. *rummages through grass for money*
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Tue May 20, 2008 6:53 pm

zanzer7 wrote:I still remember that dark game box, the sweet scent of a freshly printed instruction manual - and the 1½ hours I had to read it before getting home. .

Ahhh yes...a truelly wonderful moment...opening a brand new game with a brand new fresh instruction manual full of details and tiny sprites to read on the journey home *starts daydreaming*.
W31RD0
level3
level3

Postby W31RD0 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 pm

zanzer7 wrote:I still remember that dark game box, the sweet scent of a freshly printed instruction manual

Just to meddle in...
That one sentence, made me all nostalgic. There's just something special about a good, old-fashioned box, and a standard manual, with small quotes from the developers and "hidden" hints here and there.
Ahh... *Searches through games, to find old manual*

On-topic: I've never waited in line for games -- back when I had the time to keep an eye out for new games, I'd usually just get a pirated copy instead. Cheaper and faster. Now, I pick a game up once in a while, if I'm lucky enough to run across one.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...
Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed May 21, 2008 1:32 am

jelco the galactaboy wrote:
zanzer7 wrote:while IV is just at 98.

If only that were true. :wink:

Truth.

And oh. I just got what you meant, now.
Curiously, both Darwinia and Defcon come in at 84 - which is pretty darn impressive in and of it self, not even considering the indie nature of those games.

Well spotted though. I find myself using IV to describe both GTA IV and Introversion - which is terrible yet understandable, since both are highly relevant.
StarCraft/SimCity had the same problem.
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Wed May 21, 2008 1:36 am

I'm still really unimpressed with GTAIV. It's.....dull as hell. Seriously.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
wesgould
level2
level2

GAME CONSOLE

Postby wesgould » Wed May 21, 2008 2:11 am

The other day I pulled out an atari systems with loads of games and in the box there was a donkey long jr. mini and a pacman mini arcade system..

The days where you dreamed and the today's of dual core's and of course lets not forget coleco vision had one of those too..
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Wed May 21, 2008 3:03 am

shinygerbil wrote:I'm still really unimpressed with GTAIV. It's.....dull as hell. Seriously.

Not just dull, but dull and ridiculously violent!
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed May 21, 2008 6:45 am

shinygerbil wrote:I'm still really unimpressed with GTAIV. It's.....dull as hell. Seriously.

What were you expecting? It's GTA3, again. Sure, the graphics are (arguably) better, and you can drive more ridiculous vehicles, but it's still just a running-people-over sandbox with a story duct-taped to it.
Cnl_Death
level2
level2

Postby Cnl_Death » Wed May 21, 2008 8:29 am

Can't believe it took people this long to figure that out....... :roll:
War Is Hell But Peace Is Boring
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Wed May 21, 2008 1:35 pm

I never liked GTA3, either. What are you on about?
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”