The History of Nicknames

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed May 14, 2008 12:27 am

I believe shinygerbil was free on Slashdot :P I don't really use it though.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed May 14, 2008 1:20 am

Not to speak for anyone else, but Rkiver has said in a previous iteration of this topic that his nick is based on the word "archiver". The spelling is just a bit of a laugh.

Mine was born of the common reference to people being silly as being "monkeys". My surname is "Stewart" which sometimes leads me to be called "Stew". Thus "Stew's Monkey", but I though it needed an adjective, so I picked burnt. Thus "Stewsburntmonkey". The hope was that something so out there would be unlikely to already be taken. It's worked out pretty well so far.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed May 14, 2008 4:42 am

This thread made me feel special ^_^

Here's the link for anyone who hasn't seen.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed May 14, 2008 7:24 am

Mine is rather dull actually.

I lived in Leeds in 1998 and watched from afar the unfolding drama of the football season in Scotland. Glasgow Rangers were trying to win their 10th league championship title in a row, a feat that would wipe Glasgow Celtic's record of 9 in a row from the record books.

For those of you who do not know the rivalry between Celtic and Rangers is quite intense for many good and many bad reasons that I won't go into here.

As it turned out Celtic stopped their rivals from winning 10 in a row on the last day of the league season, thanks to a win over St Johnstone in a nervy match. Celtic legend Henrik Larsson scored early to settle some nerves but it wasn't until the much maligned Harold Brattbak scored later in the game that Celtic were safe.

My nickname comes from an old song sung by Celtic fans to the tune of "Magic" by Pilot

"It's magic, you know, You'll Never Beat Nine In A Row..."

And another thing...
Come on the Zenit :!: :!:
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed May 14, 2008 7:45 am

ynbniar wrote:Mine is rather dull actually.....
Not at all. :P I think I speak for everyone on the forums when I say: Finally! I've been wondering what it meant for ever! :D
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed May 14, 2008 8:08 am

Great fun to pronounce, too! *chokes on tongue*
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed May 14, 2008 8:25 am

I've had mine for well over a decade now.

Rkiver, the corrupted spelling of Archiver (both pronounced as archiver), for one who archives. I tend to remember daft things that have little to no use at times. I am a corrupted archiver.

That's it really.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Wed May 14, 2008 10:09 am

Came up with it when I was 8 or something, I had some random story about people from Vanarbulax called Vanarbulaxian because it was one of the most random names I could come up with. I used it in a couple things and it stuck and I've been using it ever since because I have yet to find a time when someone else had used it and I didn't want to be Aw3sumC4k3s23 like most other people were.

It's also great since it has a similar unpronounceable affect on some people, like the time on TF2 over the mike "Vanur.. vanarbu.. vanubula.. vanubulax your sentry is under attack!" (Obviously by that time it was already destroyed.) Also it can be shortened fairly easily without confusion Vanar (pronounce the motor vehicle followed by the pirate exclamation) is fairly easy to say.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Wed May 14, 2008 10:26 am

xander wrote:Cut out the ale, and you get xander.

Why would you want to cut out the ale? :(
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Wed May 14, 2008 10:52 am

is lifted directly from a (now defunct, damn hotmail) webmail address I set up when I went world travelling for the first time. Before the account died, I used it for signing up to a few forums and maillist games (anyone ever played Nomics) so it kinda stuck as a forum name.

I don't use it for Defcon though because it doesn't sound appropriate.

Gunboat Democrat, of course, is a play on Gunboat Diplomat (<-gunboat diplomacy) which I thought seemed a little bit too obvious. Also, when I started I'd choose a different name depending which continent I was. SA = Banana Republican and Russia = War Czar. For NA and EU, the opposite of a Banana Republican is a Gunboat Democrat. Obviously. And I eventually got tired of changing names al the time ... Never came up with satisfying names for Asia and Africa though (Idiot Admin was the best of a bad lot)

Cheers, Tripper
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Wed May 14, 2008 2:34 pm

Mine is nothing special. I used to be "Bruce" & "Commander" back when Runescape was just starting but it was taken by someone else, so I had to come up with a new one. And at that time I was reading a Hungarian fantasy novel which had three brothers in it, one of them named "Hmuda". It looked like a name that is never going to be used by anyone else...and all these years, I never encountered this name ever being used by someone else.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed May 14, 2008 3:20 pm

mibias wrote:Also, saw it as Mas Tnenga for quite some time

I still do, even though I know better. :roll:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 14, 2008 4:44 pm

prophile wrote:

Because I prefer single malt scotch over the age of consent?

xander
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Wed May 14, 2008 5:43 pm

xander wrote:
prophile wrote:

Because I prefer single malt scotch over the age of consent?

xander

The age of consent in which country?
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Wed May 14, 2008 9:12 pm

some friends of me came up with it when i was around 14 i think. It comes from my real name (joeri) combined with my accent

Return to “Introversion Lounge”