The History of Nicknames

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
jelco
level5
level5

The History of Nicknames

Postby jelco » Tue May 13, 2008 10:18 pm

Hehe.

Before the questions start, I currently do not intend to pick up my traditional something-along-the-lines-of-a-period-between-daily-and-yearly Poll, simply because I've found that everytime I tried it I lost interest in it again very quick. This is just an idea that popped up while my internet was out today.

Where does your nickname come from?

I realized this when Rkiver was talking to the newest Uplink player yesterday on #uplink, who had taken on the name neo. "Find a real nick, instead of one from a movie" he said, or something along the lines of that. It then occurred to me that Rkiver himself has a nick which I still find quite interesting, and never fails its apparent function as a tongue twister. :P When I thought about this again today I figured I would not ask him, but ask the whole forums. I know the interesting story of xyzyxx's interesting nick, but that's I believe the only one I've ever heard.

I'll start this off with my own story. Are you sitting?

About 7, 8, maybe even 9 years ago, when I was still quite new to computers and the internet in particular. There was a webgame available at that moment (wait, webgames could only be played when we didn't have dialup anymore, definitely fewer years ago than 9!) which asked for a name. We (me and my younger sister) had been warned about using your real name - or any personal information for that matter - on the internet. I decided at that point what name I would use which became the permanent nick for my internet travels ever since.

Jelco is the result of putting together the first parts of my real name Jelmer (I'm willing to say it after all these years, all those warnings were in vain mom and dad! :P) and the word code. Simple, but it turned out to be a nice nick, in fact a little catchy to some people. Later it turned out that it was an actual existing name, hehe.

I'm not sure where the galactaboy part comes from. I do know when I first started using it. When we got an internet connection with four e-mail adresses, and I was allowed to pick one for myself. It was a time when I was rather obsessed with anything in space and in was the time of a boy's youth when I wanted to become an astronaut :P. I knew little English by that time, but the word galaxy had gotten through to me and intrigued me. The word was quickly invented. (The reason I didn't use jelco at this point is simply because I wasn't into forums or anything like that at the time, so I doubt I even used the nick aside from that one webgame. Ever. :P)

Fast forward several years. The final grade of primary school. The whole group would be split up, going to different secondary schools. Many of them had Hotmail (and MSN Messenger) at the time, and a list was being made to make sure everyone would be getting everyone's e-mail address. I didn't have a mail account except that one galactaboy account which I barely used for anything. I made a hotmail address at the time, which became a joining of my two nicks: jelco_galactaboy@hotmail.com. (Don't try mailing to it, it's been defuct for over four years now :wink:)

There was another nick I used at the time, Quotienta. Needless to say that comes from the word quotient, which is incredibly nerdy when you think about it, but it was simply a word I picked up somewhere, sounded quite enigmatic to me and stuck. I'm not sure what I used the nick jelco for at the time really, the only real online activity at the time was Jazz Jackrabbit 2, on which I used quotienta as my nick.

Anyway, that's my story, now it's your turn!

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue May 13, 2008 10:26 pm

With me it's uterly simple: Mike is the English variant of my Russian name: Михаил/Миша, 'rus' psrt is to make it longer :P and to show the country of origin (although it doesn't help too much and everyone keeps asking me where I'm from). The capitalisation and the symbol "|" are there to make the nick look 'pretty' :P

Yea, yea, my imagination sucks, I know :)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue May 13, 2008 10:30 pm

Well, I know the xyzyxx and ynbniar ones and now jelco's too. Whee!

Anyway, mine's simple. I used to play a ton of arcade games and a bit more of Tecmo Super Bowl. I'd still play it today if I had another person willing to play regularly. :roll: Those types of games had one thing in common, three letter nicks for inputing your "name". I never could figure out one I liked other than "Ace" even though I used my initials for quite some time. And then <insert classic "descending from heavens" description here> I stumbled upon one the few reasons I am happy to call the British "family", Red Dwarf.

I was as simple as 1, 2, 3.

And don't feel bad rus|Mike, I bet .jp gets the same treatment. :P
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue May 13, 2008 10:37 pm

Hmmmm... similar story to Jelco here, I needed a moniker for forums (on which i thorougly insisted I was over 12 :P), and ended up coming up with AMDPOX (I was just getting into being a hardware nerd at that point, and it was the pentium-4-intel-sucks period). From there I basically dropped the AMD anywhere where the name "Pox" wasn't taken, but it still annoys me that my name is not unique. :/
walrus47
level4
level4

Postby walrus47 » Tue May 13, 2008 10:43 pm

My name just comes about from a combination of an animal I like with my favorite number, coupled with the fact that no matter where I try and sign up you can be fairly sure it won't be taken. Pretty boring but it works for me.
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Tue May 13, 2008 10:43 pm

I had never needed to register for something 'till i wanted to play runescape when i was around 10. Me (Michael) and my friend Tobias merged our names together and created mibias. I've used that nick ever since.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue May 13, 2008 10:46 pm

For some reason I get the feeling I've explained mine before, actually. Maybe on another forum :P

I used to do a little tabletop gaming (not much mind - no full-blown Warhammer/40K but the odd bit here and there) and I had this unpainted model in a game of Necromunda. Man, I loved Necromunda, but that's another story :)

So anyway, this shiny metallic unpainted model became Shiny Bill, and I then kept up the habit of always having a Shiny Bill character whatever game I was playing; roleplay, tabletop, computer game, etc. (My Steam ID is Shiny Bill to this day :P)

Meanwhile, entirely separately, my friends and I were going to make a clan in TFC, called Psychotic Hamsters. We would all take the names of different rodents...and I came up with SchizoGerbil. (With a lot of added capitalisation and random punctuation thrown in for good measure.) The clan never took off, but the names stuck.

So, we have Shiny Bill, and SchizoGerbil, and so I decided to combine them, drop the capitals, and I was happy with the result :D

Oh, and would the fucker who has 'shinygerbil' on XBOX LIVE kindly stop using that name. :evil: I used to think I was unique.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue May 13, 2008 10:50 pm

I honestly do not think I have an interesting story behind my nick. It was probably around the time I was having Philosophy in high school and was looking for an internet nickname (that must have been some 9-10 years ago)

So yeah, Socrates - S + X = Xocrates :P
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue May 13, 2008 10:50 pm

For years I went about as "Falloutboy", a homage to the Pipboy from Fallout and the sidekick of Radioactive Man on the Simpsons.

Well I graduated from High School, served a two year mission for my Church, and came back to discover that while I was gone a rather annoying band had showed up that also used the name. I was faced with the disheartening choice of either changing my nick, or having everyone assume that I was some obsessed fan. So I decided to cut my loses and flee with what dignity I had left.

After that I bounced around a few names, with nothing really feeling right. I think I finally arrived at Feud when I was playing GalCiv2 (early 2006), don't really remember how or why but once I settled on it the name stuck.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue May 13, 2008 10:53 pm

It was first thing I came up with when playing Uplink. I figured using it on the forums was somehow relevant.

I have to admit I like the Tnega bit less and less each day. I just looks stupid, and probably has the ugliest pronunciation key ever.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue May 13, 2008 10:55 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:It was first thing I came up with when playing Uplink. I figured using it on the forums was somehow relevant.

I have to admit I like the Tnega bit less and less each day. I just looks stupid, and probably has the ugliest pronunciation key ever.
You know, it took me a long while to figure out where the name came from :/
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Tue May 13, 2008 10:57 pm

I'm mostly Alastair nowadays nick-wise, which needs no explanation (It's my name, lawl!) but 'prophile' has a very boring story. I was signing up for a forum, was asked for a nick, saw the word 'profile' and substituted in a 'ph'.
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Tue May 13, 2008 10:57 pm

For some reason i didn't read it as your real nick, shinygerbil. Always thought it was shiyngerbill (pronounced Danish... Can't quite explain it)
Also, saw it as Mas Tnenga for quite some time
Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Tue May 13, 2008 11:07 pm

Mine is a strange combination of 'Dirty Harry' and 'Harry Potter' (hence the Harry Potter avatar with a Magnum). Name originated from me looking somewhat like Harry Potter on the Danish covers when I was younger, and the day me and my brother was thinking for a nick for me a Dirty Harry movie was shown on TV that evening.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 13, 2008 11:44 pm

My name is Alexander. Cut out the ale, and you get xander. Very simple. I am darwinian on the ASW boards, because some one else has xander there, and I signed onto those boards only to comment on Darwinia related stuff (after lurking for ages -- I may have an older account there, but I don't remember what it might be). On Slashdot, I am the phantom, which is an old name from when I was young and naive, but it has a moderately low UID, so I keep it around. That, and there is probably not anything else on Slashdot that isn't taken.

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”