Arthur C. Clarke Dead at 90

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
xander
level5
level5

Arthur C. Clarke Dead at 90

Postby xander » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:44 am

from the LA Times:
ir Arthur C. Clarke, who peered into the heavens with a homemade telescope as a boy and grew up to become a visionary titan of science fiction best-known for collaborating with director Stanley Kubrick in writing the landmark film "2001: A Space Odyssey," has died. He was 90.

The British-born Clarke, who lived in Colombo, Sri Lanka, for decades, died early Wednesday after experiencing breathing problems, an aide, Rohan De Silva, told the Associated Press.

Clarke, a former farm boy who was knighted for his contributions to literature, wrote more than 80 fiction and nonfiction books (some in collaboration) and more than 100 short stories -- as well as hundreds of articles and essays.

Among his best-known science-fiction novels are "Childhood's End," "Rendezvous With Rama," "Imperial Earth" and, most famously, "2001: A Space Odyssey."

"It's better to be recognized for one thing, especially something of which I'm quite proud, than not to be recognized at all," Clarke told The Times in 1982.

Although he never intended to write a sequel to "2001," he wrote three: "2010: Odyssey Two," "2061: Odyssey Three" and "3001: The Final Odyssey."

Clarke, who was named a Grand Master by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America in 1986, won innumerable international awards for his fiction and scientific writing.

"Rendezvous with Rama," his 1973 novel about a space probe sent to explore an enormous celestial object speeding through the solar system that turns out to be a mysterious alien spacecraft, was one of Clarke's greatest critical successes. It won the prestigious Nebula, Hugo and John W. Campbell awards for best novel, as well as the British Science Fiction Associate Award, the Locus Award and the Jupiter Award.

Clarke was not only known as one of the 20th century's most prolific science-fiction writers but one of the best-grounded scientifically, with a remarkable record of foreseeing future technologies.

Indeed, he was known as "the godfather of the telecommunications satellite."

A radar pioneer in the Royal Air Force during World War II, Clarke wrote a 1945 article in Wireless World magazine in which he outlined a worldwide communications network based on fixed satellites orbiting Earth at an altitude of 22,300 miles -- an orbital area now often referred to as the Clarke Orbit.

Clarke's seminal article, for which he received $40, was published two decades before Syncom II became the world's first communications satellite put into geosynchronous orbit in 1963.

For pioneering the concept of communications satellites, Clarke received a number of honors, including the 1982 Marconi International Fellowship and the Charles A. Lindbergh Award.

Deemed a scientific visionary, Clarke also foretold an array of technological notions in his works such as space stations, moon landings using a mother ship and a landing pod, cellular phones and the Internet.

"Nobody has done more in the way of enlightened prediction," science fiction author Isaac Asimov once wrote.

"I'd say he was the major hard science fiction writer -- that is the writer of science fiction that is scientifically scrupulous -- in the second half of the 20th century," UC Irvine physics professor Gregory Benford, an award-winning science fiction author who collaborated with Clarke on the 1990 science-fiction novel "Beyond the Fall of Night," told The Times in 2005.

xander :'(
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:01 am

:'( Indeed, many will be sad to see him go....
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:25 am

:( RIP

We need more good sci-fi authors. Not a step in the right direction.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:37 am

:(

That is really a pity. I loved his books and he predicted quite a few things in the modern age.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:10 pm

:'( indeed. Very sad.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
jaysc
level4
level4

Postby jaysc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:38 pm

I remember watching the movie. :(
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:14 pm

And to think I still haven't read any of his books...

:(
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:44 pm

I must admit to not reading any of his work, mainly because I'm not keen on reading a story I've first seen as a movie but also because science fiction isn't my favourite genre.

I do still enjoy watching the Odyssey movies.

I also remember watching his Mysterious World TV showwhen I was a kid - I remember it being fascinating and scary in equal measure.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:05 pm

with Gary Gygax and Arthur C Clarke gone us geeks aren't doing well this year are we? :'(
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Lastof
level2
level2

Postby Lastof » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:29 pm

martin wrote:with Gary Gygax and Arthur C Clarke gone us geeks aren't doing well this year are we? :'(

And Pratchett was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in December, so last year didn't end all that well either.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:04 pm

Indeed, I'd forgotten that, what a terrible few months :(
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Phrage
level3
level3
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave

Postby Phrage » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:26 pm

Yeh we are being deprived. His books are awesome i must read more! Reading 2001 is really helpful if you've seen the film as it makes way more sense. The book and film were released together so I think are equally good in their medium.
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^
(delete as appropriate)
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:02 pm

Hugo Claus ,a very famous belgian writer, also passed away today
He had alzheimer and asked for euthanesia
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:14 pm

Phrage wrote:Yeh we are being deprived. His books are awesome i must read more! Reading 2001 is really helpful if you've seen the film as it makes way more sense. The book and film were released together so I think are equally good in their medium.

It should also be pointed out that Kubrick and Clarke collaborated on both the film and the book. So neither the film nor the book should be seen as purely the work of one or the other. However, Clarke did write The Sentinal, which is the short story upon which the film and book were based.

xander
Derekristow
level1
level1

Postby Derekristow » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:25 am

He was one of the greats who predicted the modern age, and now that its here his works are still amazing. There aren't going to be any advances like the ones he saw, and there won't be any as grand to tell about them. He will be sorely missed. :cry:

Derekristow

Return to “Introversion Lounge”