Subversion City Builder Release?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Buceph
level0

Subversion City Builder Release?

Postby Buceph » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:51 am

I dunno where else to ask this...

Is there any chance Introversion will be releasing some form of their city builder? It doesn't have to have anywhere near the level of usability they'd be developing it for but it'd come in useful for quite a lot of people. I'm looking for something of it's ilk for my own pen and paper RPG. Something where I can set up a city with certain parameters and let a computer work something realistic out for me. Then I fill in the important parts by hand. It could be released with loads of conditions, like it's not used on a commercial basis or in anything that could compete with Introversion, even if it's non-commercial and it'd still find use by a good few people.

Has anyone heard of anything like this being said?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:07 am

Since Subversion is supposed to be IV's magnum opus, I doubt that they will be releasing the code out side of beta tests prior to the game's actual release.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:53 am

The whole point of Subversion so far is procedural generation... so I'd be surprised if there is any kind of custom "map" toolkit released, as that would really defeat the purpose. ;)
Buceph
level0

Postby Buceph » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:23 am

Pox wrote:The whole point of Subversion so far is procedural generation... so I'd be surprised if there is any kind of custom "map" toolkit released, as that would really defeat the purpose. ;)

I would hope that they wouldn't just build such a powerful tool, build the city themselves, and then leave the piece of kit in a shed. Like I said, if they crippled it, and just released something that would give you streets and buildings from a 3d perspective it would be amazing. Obviously this would be the lowest of low priorities, but there would be a use for it outside of computer games.

Actually, I don't know what you're saying there. Are you saying that they'll be using it as their own piece of middleware, or that it's going to be part of the final product where every player can have a different map?
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 am

Buceph wrote:
Pox wrote:The whole point of Subversion so far is procedural generation... so I'd be surprised if there is any kind of custom "map" toolkit released, as that would really defeat the purpose. ;)

I would hope that they wouldn't just build such a powerful tool, build the city themselves, and then leave the piece of kit in a shed. Like I said, if they crippled it, and just released something that would give you streets and buildings from a 3d perspective it would be amazing. Obviously this would be the lowest of low priorities, but there would be a use for it outside of computer games.

Actually, I don't know what you're saying there. Are you saying that they'll be using it as their own piece of middleware, or that it's going to be part of the final product where every player can have a different map?

From what I understand, they won't be building a city themselves and releasing it - the game they distribute will procedurally generate the city, meaning there is no "tool" - the screenshots so far have had a bunch of control sliders for population density, etc, and the software has designed the city around that on the fly. So yes, it is very likely that each instance of the game will have a unique city.
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:46 am

Of cause, it could be per-use software, $5 USD for every city it puts out. :D *And a neat API to include in your MMORPG so users can pay for you.*

Kidding.
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"
"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."
"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."
"Sure you will."
"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:00 am

I think he knows it's procedurally generated.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”