Oh boy!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:06 pm

Oh sweet baby ray, I may have just found an amazing deal on a Sig P226! They were normally out of my price range, but this is easily inside of it (only $500!). I'm going to have to consult a few of my sources on the matter, but we may have a winner...
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:07 pm

Feud wrote:Oh sweet baby ray, I may have just found an amazing deal on a Sig P226! They were normally out of my price range, but this is easily inside of it (only $500!). I'm going to have to consult a few of my sources on the matter, but we may have a winner...

I looked the gun up on google and i doesn't look that cool to me.
Just another handgun
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:12 pm

zjoere wrote:I looked the gun up on google and i doesn't look that cool to me.
Just another handgun

They look nice enough, but more importantly they are one of the highest rated handguns in the world (reliability, durability, etc.). Saying it's just another handgun is like saying that a Ferrari is just another car!
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:15 pm

Feud wrote:
Just another handgun

They look nice enough, but more importantly they are one of the highest rated handguns in the world (reliability, durability, etc.). Saying it's just another handgun is like saying that a Ferrari is just another car!

Most people can appreciate a nice car. Not many appreciate a device designed for the express reason to kill.

Here's a thought, rather then waste the money on something you don't need, why not give it to those in New Orleans who are STILL homeless after Katrina? Prove you are better then those who you remind me of (Bush and his gun toting ilk of religious nuts), and put your so called religion into practice, and help the needy.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:25 pm

Feud wrote:
Just another handgun

A ferrari looks very different then other cars. While I personally think this gun looks like any other handgun. So it's more like a regular with the engine of a ferrari in it :wink:
Could be just me because i don't know shit about guns.
still i think you should get the sawn-off shotgun or the tommy gun or if you want to stick with handguns a luger
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:44 pm

Rkiver wrote:
Most people can appreciate a nice car. Not many appreciate a device designed for the express reason to kill.

Here's a thought, rather then waste the money on something you don't need, why not give it to those in New Orleans who are STILL homeless after Katrina? Prove you are better then those who you remind me of (Bush and his gun toting ilk of religious nuts), and put your so called religion into practice, and help the needy.

You have no idea how much time and money I contribute to charitable causes, but thanks for judging me anyway!

You just talked about most people appreciating a nice car, well the people who buy/lease/rent nice cars could easily get by in a simpler vehicle, with thousands more than I have ever spent on guns being freed up for charity. There are lots of things that people "waste" money on, such as video games (this entire website is run by and for the benefit of products that none of us need), soda, candy, air fresheners, and fabric softener, none of which is vital to their needs. I just choose to spend my money in a lump sum rather than a few bucks at a time.

Tell me, do you feel the same way every time you see someone "waste" money on a pack of gum? Five billion dollars was spent on candy in 2006 for Halloween, it seems that the candy eaters could easily solve the problem if they would stop wasting their money on things they don't need, and with heart disease the leading killer in America it seems that far more lives could be saved if they were the target rather than guns.

I'm not asking you to like my hobby, nor to agree with it, but I am going to ask that we are civil in our discussion of it, and comparing me to "religious nuts" is not the best way to maintain civil discourse.

zjoere wrote:still i think you should get the sawn-off shotgun or the tommy gun or if you want to stick with handguns a luger

Sawn-off and machine guns are heavily regulated, and require special licensing to purchase (which I can't afford, I'm not positive you can buy sawn-offs at all).
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:30 am

Feud wrote:
Rkiver wrote:

You have no idea how much time and money I contribute to charitable causes, but thanks for judging me anyway!

You just talked about most people appreciating a nice car, well the people who buy/lease/rent nice cars could easily get by in a simpler vehicle, with thousands more than I have ever spent on guns being freed up for charity. There are lots of things that people "waste" money on, such as video games (this entire website is run by and for the benefit of products that none of us need), soda, candy, air fresheners, and fabric softener, none of which is vital to their needs. I just choose to spend my money in a lump sum rather than a few bucks at a time.

Tell me, do you feel the same way every time you see someone "waste" money on a pack of gum? Five billion dollars was spent on candy in 2006 for Halloween, it seems that the candy eaters could easily solve the problem if they would stop wasting their money on things they don't need, and with heart disease the leading killer in America it seems that far more lives could be saved if they were the target rather than guns.

I'm not asking you to like my hobby, nor to agree with it, but I am going to ask that we are civil in our discussion of it, and comparing me to "religious nuts" is not the best way to maintain civil discourse.

I think the point Rkiver was trying to make is, rather than provide funding for instruments designed to kill people, how about you spend your money on something else, especially when your religion is against killing people and you believe enough in said religion to not drink alcohol because it forbids/discourages it. Sure, YOU may not plan to use the weapon to kill someone but the object itself was designed and built for that purpose and you buying it will only encourage the production and research of such things. Candy on the other hand, despite what current media may lead you to believe, was designed not to get little children obese and steal money from parents but was meant to be a pleasurable, harmless treat to be consumed in moderation. And if you ask me, in this situation, comparing candy to a gun is like comparing Barney the Dinosaur to 9/11.

Feud wrote:
zjoere wrote:still i think you should get the sawn-off shotgun or the tommy gun or if you want to stick with handguns a luger

Sawn-off and machine guns are heavily regulated, and require special licensing to purchase (which I can't afford, I'm not positive you can buy sawn-offs at all).

Er... you 'make' your own sawn-off...
Last edited by Montyphy on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:50 am

Even if you do make your own sawn-off, that doesn't necessarily exempt it from regulation. You can buy sawn offs, though, and that's a detail I wouldn't quibble with a gun aficionado about :P
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:56 am

KingAl wrote:Even if you do make your own sawn-off, that doesn't necessarily exempt it from regulation. You can buy sawn offs, though, and that's a detail I wouldn't quibble with a gun aficionado about :P

Sorry, it wasn't the regulation part I was mocking (since I know little about them/it), just the not being able to buy part. Guess I should have slipped in an 'in that case'
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:12 am

Montyphy wrote:
I think the point Rkiver was trying to make is, rather than provide funding for instruments designed to kill people, how about you spend your money on something else, especially when your religion is against killing people and you believe enough in said religion to not drink alcohol because it forbids/discourages it. Sure, YOU may not plan to use the weapon to kill someone but the object itself was designed and built for that purpose and you buying it will only encourage the production and research of such things. Candy on the other hand, despite what current media may lead you to believe, was designed not to get little children obese and steal money from parents but was meant to be a pleasurable, harmless treat to be consumed in moderation. And if you ask me, in this situation, comparing candy to a gun is like comparing Barney the Dinosaur to 9/11.

My religion has no moral qualms with firearms that I am aware of (John Browning was a member), just their unethical use. As for candy, I think that if he is going to take a moral high ground against wasteful spending than he should be prepared to address waste in every case, not just those he finds convenient. Certainly candy and a gun are different, but if he is going to criticize me for wasting money on things I don't need, I think that I have every right to insist that he holds everyone to the same standard.

In any case the deal looks like an no go due to some questionable business issues.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:26 am

You have every right to insist whatever you like, but you've nevertheless kinda sidestepped the point there, regarding guns being designed for killing and their purchase encouraging their production and thus availability.

Anyway, questionable business issues?

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:54 am

KingAl wrote:You have every right to insist whatever you like, but you've nevertheless kinda sidestepped the point there, regarding guns being designed for killing and their purchase encouraging their production and thus availability.

I am fully supportive of laws that keep dangerous things out of the hands of dangerous criminals, and I make an effort to purchase from companies with outstanding records for obeying such laws. The guns that I purchase are not the kind that are normally used in crimes, and so I do not feel that my hobby encourages unethical violence of any kind.

KingAl wrote:Anyway, questionable business issues?

After checking with some people I know who have more experience in the matter I had some concerns with the way the company does business, which though not illegal brings the condition of the gun into question, and so I am backing off.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:39 am

Feud wrote:My religion has no moral qualms with firearms that I am aware of

Please allow me to use your Holy Bible in my proof.

Matthew 26:52, "'Put your sword back in its place,' Jesus said to him, 'for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.'"

Now, as I see it, this passage indicates that those who use a weapon will die by the same weapon. Thus by buying guns, you're condemning yourself to dying at the hand of one. If that sits aright with you, then continue.

NeoThermic
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:49 am

Of course, that could be interpreted as more about aggression than weaponry - like all passages in the Bible you can interpret and/or ignore it as you see fit :P

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:57 am

KingAl wrote:Of course, that could be interpreted as more about aggression than weaponry - like all passages in the Bible you can interpret and/or ignore it as you see fit :P

But even then, if Feud keeps these weapons within reach to use against an intruder, the passage still holds that he will die by the same weapon that he chooses to use.

NeoThermic

Return to “Introversion Lounge”