Subversion

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:58 pm

skull13 wrote:Oh, never mind.

I feel that this topic has been officially derailed, someone lock please.

Or not, I don't care.

If you go through the archives of the forums, you will notice that there are almost no locked topics, and that most of those are spam. There is no reason to lock this topic, as it will be off the front page soon enough.

xander
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:44 pm

Unless it's kept alive!!
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:49 pm

Or its dug up from the ground.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:54 pm

mibias wrote:Unless it's kept alive!!

That could certainly happen, but I would be willing to be that, a year from now, no one remembers this topic, let alone bumps it (of course, I have just encouraged someone to bump this topic a year from today -- my money is on prophile).

xander
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:45 am

/me sets calendar alert in Lotus Notes.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Gaweg
level0

Postby Gaweg » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:24 pm

I find it sorry that this topic is gone so off topic, if that makes any sense. Anyway finally I found a though about what subversion would be like, and it isn't even in this topic:(. So I have copied it to hear, I hope the author wound mind.
here it is:

"Okay, so ignoring for a moment the above, I'm going to take a stab at where this is headed.
From the very name "subversion" it is clear that this is not trying to be a city simulator. From the shots we've had earlier of interior spaces, and the continuing work on them, we know that Subversion is headed toward a large scope, but with very fine granularity. Now we're seeing visual representations of completely extraneous control circutry, unless the user will interact with the basic infrastructure controls. The scripting extension means that objects can be programed in some way.
We also know that Introversion is about comprimising computer systems (both in Darwinia and Uplink), as well as all-out large-scale warfare. Why do the buildings have generated structural members, unless we can interact with them?

I'm getting the feeling that Subversion is trying to be a game about the covert intrusion (and possible comprimise) of urban infrastructure and landscape. It will be about how an attacker can enter and conquer a city, perhaps without being seen. It will be about how the fine details can be leveraged to accomplish far-reaching goals. Observing and hacking into elevator controls is only the begining. Air conditioning? Traffic lights? Setting up snipers to control whole square miles of city? Setting demolition charges and bringing down whole skyscrapers? The detail level at this point is immense, and only appears to be increasing, which makes no sense unless the user interacts with the enviroment at all of these levels.

But really, the only thing we know for sure is that I am mistaken."

All I know is that I think this game will be really great, and I hope for some estimates on the release date. AND more BLOGS.
AND I hope someone else has some cool ideas too.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:32 pm

Please. It is dead. You can't ride it, and kicking it isn't going to help anyone. Let it rot in peace.

xander
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:17 am

Gaweg wrote:But really, the only thing we know for sure is that I am mistaken.

QFT.

and NOW the thread can die.
KBAegis
level0

Postby KBAegis » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:57 am

xander wrote:Please. It is dead. You can't ride it, and kicking it isn't going to help anyone. Let it rot in peace.

xander

If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.
MrDictionary
level2
level2

Postby MrDictionary » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:56 pm

It's all about Fibonacci sequences.
Unofficial official Introversion Devil's Advocate.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:20 am

MrDictionary wrote:It's all about Fibonacci sequences.

Indeed, it is.

Stab. Stab. Stab Stab. Stab Stab Stab. Stab Stab Stab Stab Stab.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:53 pm

Stab Stab Stab Stab Stab Stab Stab Stab.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:33 am

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Be careful, you might end up being sued by xander for copyright infringement. :P

Jelco

Nay, brainstab is copyleft, surely.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:53 pm

It is public domain, as far as I am concerned.

xander
RagingLion
level1
level1

Postby RagingLion » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:16 pm

Gaweg wrote:I find it sorry that this topic is gone so off topic, if that makes any sense. Anyway finally I found a though about what subversion would be like, and it isn't even in this topic:(. So I have copied it to hear, I hope the author wound mind.
here it is:

"Okay, so ignoring for a moment the above, I'm going to take a stab at where this is headed.
From the very name "subversion" it is clear that this is not trying to be a city simulator. From the shots we've had earlier of interior spaces, and the continuing work on them, we know that Subversion is headed toward a large scope, but with very fine granularity. Now we're seeing visual representations of completely extraneous control circutry, unless the user will interact with the basic infrastructure controls. The scripting extension means that objects can be programed in some way.
We also know that Introversion is about comprimising computer systems (both in Darwinia and Uplink), as well as all-out large-scale warfare. Why do the buildings have generated structural members, unless we can interact with them?

I'm getting the feeling that Subversion is trying to be a game about the covert intrusion (and possible comprimise) of urban infrastructure and landscape. It will be about how an attacker can enter and conquer a city, perhaps without being seen. It will be about how the fine details can be leveraged to accomplish far-reaching goals. Observing and hacking into elevator controls is only the begining. Air conditioning? Traffic lights? Setting up snipers to control whole square miles of city? Setting demolition charges and bringing down whole skyscrapers? The detail level at this point is immense, and only appears to be increasing, which makes no sense unless the user interacts with the enviroment at all of these levels.

But really, the only thing we know for sure is that I am mistaken."

All I know is that I think this game will be really great, and I hope for some estimates on the release date. AND more BLOGS.
AND I hope someone else has some cool ideas too.

I'm surprised that I can't find any other threads out there dealing with rampant speculation about what Subversion might be about. So hopefully this debate can be reignited/started here especially considering the recent new tech demo for Subversion.

This suggestion above seems very feasible to me and sounds about right. I recently just posted an idea for what Subversion might be elsewhere on the web:

"A game in which the aim is to gradually spread through different cities in an insudious way - this could be as a virus or even something as abstract as spreading subversive (see what I did there) political ideas to people throughout the city. How to spread whatever it is as quickly as possible through the cities will require you to utilise the street and building layout in the most effective way."

I like the idea above better than mine, though really it is just a more specific possibility of what I'm suggesting. I'm intrigued by the comment about "visuals of extraneous control circuitry" - where have these been seen? A lot about the game will be decided from what perspective the user will have in the game. With Introversion's history it is hardly likely to be first-person - having to walk to a specific place to set off a bomb for instance and walking into a building to use control panels. But then as the poster above says - how will the high level of detail that Subversion might graphically have, be useful and aid gameplay if, for example (using the ideas in the post above), you just click on a government office building which gives you options to control traffic lights or to try to set off an explosive device in the building - why would you then, for example, need to see individual cubicles in the office. What we don't yet know is what level of detail Subversion's world will have - how detailed will those buildings get and since that also might reveal quite a bit about the nature of the game.

Don't know if I really made myself clear there. What are other people thinking? We need more speculation, people.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”