Not Happy

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Not Happy

Postby ynbniar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:57 pm

So I exceeded my 8BG download limit last month and got a nice reassuring email from BT saying I was a bit naughty and if I did again they would charge me 30p a GB or I could switch over to unlimited.

"Don't worry" they cooed, "we won't take any action this time."

Except they did.

They throttled my line down from up to 8MB to 2MB. Now I never ever got 8MB obviously, averaged about 4MB a bit higher for certain sites (STEAM funnily enough was fastest at more than 6MB at times).

Not only did they throttle my speed they didn't bother telling me even while they were taking my cash for a BT Vision box. (Which eats up 1.6MB for ON Demand programs).

Now I don't have a problem being penalised for going over my limit but it would be nice to be told and told when (if) I'll ever be in the good books again.

Of course I've complained but this is not straightforward with BT...the help desk like to answer questions just not the one's you ask.

Anyway, I won't bring you down or bore you anymore. Just so annoying... :!:
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Just got annoying news myself, apparently today is supposed to be the most depressing day of the year :?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:09 pm

Ah how nice it is to be in the U.S.A. and free of such limits. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:12 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Ah how nice it is to be in the U.S.A. and free of such limits. :P

Aren't you having a recession there? O_o *waves his sterling notes around* :roll:
Last edited by Hyperion on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:14 pm

Hyperion wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:Ah how nice it is to be in the U.S.A. and free of such limits. :P

Aren't you have a recession there? O_o *waves his sterling notes around* :roll:

Uh, recession? Hehe, doesn't matter when you're always broke anyway... :wink:
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:19 pm

Ah yes, the US...free. Erm no.

I however am. 8meg line, no contention ever, always downloads at the maximum speed that where I am downloading from can provide. No limit either, at least no pratical limit. 500gig a month isn't a limit really now is it?

That being said if I lose this apartment due to lack of a job I wont have it anymore obviously.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:21 pm

But I bet you pay for that 500gb a month... :P
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:23 pm

Hyperion wrote:Just got annoying news myself, apparently today is supposed to be the most depressing day of the year :?

This is what we need... FUN
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:29 pm

Many if not most US ISPs throttle their connections constantly. The idea of a connection being throttled to 2Mbs is rather laughable in the US where the actual speed of residential broadband connections rarely hits 2Mbs to begin with.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:34 pm

Well, before I moved here (Atlanta), I was on a 6mb line and it was never throttled. They did cap it once (in error, which I got removed) because the wonderful customer service thought they were doing me a favor when I had a problem with their modem. :shock: The three years I was on that line it was as rkiver stated, whatever the other end could handle...
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Well, before I moved here (Atlanta), I was on a 6mb line and it was never throttled. They did cap it once (in error, which I got removed) because the wonderful customer service thought they were doing me a favor when I had a problem with their modem. :shock: The three years I was on that line it was as rkiver stated, whatever the other end could handle...

The thing is that you don't know if they are throttling or not. US ISPs are quite sneaky about it. They will throttle known video sites or bit torrent traffic for instance, which just appears like the server is slow.

I'm supposedly on a 8Mbps line, but I rarely get more than 2Mbps.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:41 pm

Well then, perhaps I never visited any such sites as I can tell you I would have complained very loudly had I noticed a drop in speed.

Perhaps the line you're on can only handle 2Mbps and you're paying extra for something you can't even use. :?:
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:But I bet you pay for that 500gb a month... :P

Not much to be honest. Free landline phone calls anywhere within Ireland or Northern Ireland, 200 odd TV channels, including the Discovery and NatGeo group (best lot in my opinion) and an 8meg line with zero contention and essentially limitless cap.

For all that it's 80 Euro a month, so about £50, or in US dollars right now about 4000000 (yay for your stock market crashing, again) :P
Try to get that with other companies in Ireland and you'd be up around the 200 Euro mark. Yes it could be cheaper, look at South Korea, $15 for a 20meg line.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:47 pm

I thought most services offer you:

"up to <X>MB Super-quick Awesome Broadband!!!"

for any given value of <X>, which really allows them to freely give you:

"up to (<X>/2) MB Super-quick Awesome Broadband!!!"
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:49 pm

Well, they can't guarantee a speed as many factors affect the true speed you'll get.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”