More guns, no guns, gun control? *BANG! BANG!!*

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What is your stance on gun proliferation?

I own a gun. I DON'T TRUST MY DAMN NEIGHBOUR!!!
2%
I own several guns, I'm a hitman .(shhhh don't tell anyone)
4%
Change the constitution. Outlaw guns once and for all!
16%
GIMME A FLAMETHROWER!
2%
Nukes for everyone!
8%
I don't own one right now, but I seek to acquire some soon as I'm planning a massacre.
2%
I'm a hippie. WADDUA THINK I MEAN?? *punches you in the face*
No votes
I don't like guns. When I kill people I use a dildo.
6%
mmmmmmmmmmmmy Glock.
1%
Strict gun control is the way to go.
21%
If everyone had guns, less violence would be the result.
13%
I'm in a gun club, I only shoot for pleasure.
2%
I'm in a gun club, I train for home defense.
4%
I like bananas.
7%
OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4%
Militias is our only hope.
7%

Total votes: 85
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Feud wrote:The Executive Orders.

I don't have any immediate disagreements with the EOs signed. Contrary to VP Biden's suggestions over the last week, they are mainly directing the Federal government to do the job they are already supposed to be doing.

I have no problem with enforcement of existing gun laws, I strongly am in favor of them in fact.
This is the only thing that's struck me throughout this particular round of this same old debate.

For a nation that has the cultural history it has with guns, the US federal-level laws that have had extensive attention and work on them for years now, through painful compromise. Yet like so much law, it's effectiveness has been hamstrung by the willingness (or lack thereof) to enforce it properly. The US has been long overdue a serious campaign that forces an attitude shift amongst politicians and enforcement bodies where such laws are not merely showing that something is being done but actually doing something.

If there's any kind of outcry from the pro-gun lot at thse EOs it will only serve to highlight the existing problem with these fedral laws; that for too long they've been placations not actions.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:11 pm

By the way, here's a cool interactive thing concerning state gun laws in the US.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interac ... ted-states

And a very interesting op-ed from a DC prosecutor and gun control advocate, about how thirty years of the nation's toughest and most restrictive gun laws impacted crime and society.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Strange that only IL doesn't allow concealed carry (besides D.C., which doesn't count).
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:33 pm

I have a question that is mostly directed at Feud but others can feel free to answer: how do you see the link between the right to ownership and the right to carry? Is the right to carry guns in public a part of your right to own them or can this be limited more than the actual owning part? Should guns be allowed in public places, schools, airplanes?
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Feud wrote:And a very interesting op-ed from a DC prosecutor and gun control advocate, about how thirty years of the nation's toughest and most restrictive gun laws impacted crime and society.

That must be one of the worst possible ways to conduct that kind of law I can imagine.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 pm

What would you suggest?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:45 am

Feud wrote:What would you suggest?

For starters, not to act like a paranoid conducting a witch hunt while ignoring the social and cultural conditions of the place you're enacting the law in.

And there's actually one point that we did fail to discuss which is pretty relevant here: for gun control to work you're not supposed to take the guns away, you need to convince the people to give them away.
This actually ties back to my "refuse to try" point, in country where about half the population owns guns and see that ownership as a right, you cannot enact a law that removes that up to, and including, the right to own them for self defense while guns are not only still very common, but pathetically easy to get.

That said, there is something very very wrong with DC.

DC has a population of ~630.000, Portugal has over 10 million, of all the murder numbers stated only one was lower than the amount of murders we had last year.
I'll repeat that, DC has more murders than a country nearly 20 times it's size.

By that point the problem extends way past the amount of guns.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:47 am

I think you're forgetting the super concentrated culture in D.C. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:25 am

Whilst gun crime and laws are being debated, peace can be found that the other, nasty crimes are being sorted by the unelected Library of Congress. Which has made Unlocking your smartphone a crime punishable by imprisonment.

<3 the DMCA
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
ryacko
level1
level1

Postby ryacko » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 am

We should legalize the import of assault weapons like the AK to reduce the glut of AKs in Africa. Something like $50 for a gun in Africa, cheap enough to form a rebel army with.

To be fair, we exported enough assault weapons already.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:31 pm

Cooper42 wrote:Whilst gun crime and laws are being debated, peace can be found that the other, nasty crimes are being sorted by the unelected Library of Congress. Which has made Unlocking your smartphone a crime punishable by imprisonment.

<3 the DMCA

Annoying when that happens, huh? The BATFE aren't loved for that same reason.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:58 pm

Guns do lead to some funny youtube videos
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:57 pm

zjoere wrote:I have a question that is mostly directed at Feud but others can feel free to answer: how do you see the link between the right to ownership and the right to carry? Is the right to carry guns in public a part of your right to own them or can this be limited more than the actual owning part? Should guns be allowed in public places, schools, airplanes?

I forgot to address this, sorry!

I think that if someone is able to own a gun, they should be able to transport it with minimal hassle. But, transport isn't always the same as carrying an arm like what I think you mean, bearing it (in a holster, on a sling, etc).

If a state wants to make some regulation on this, then I'm not necessarily opposed. I think in rural areas that such should largely be relaxed, but if in more urban areas they wanted to require licenses then I think that they may, and I might not oppose it (depends on if it were shall issue or may issue, among other things). That being said, I come from a place where you can generally carry, openly or concealed, without any license. It works for us just fine, and I have no desire to change it.

As for schools, I guess that depends on who and where we're talking about. College and University level? I don't see the need to prohibit them generally, though if they wanted to limit them to concealed then so be it. I don't think minors or students in primary or secondary education should be carrying them, and I'm fine with limiting such. As for parents, like say for a parent just swinging by to pick up their child, I don't see the need to prohibit them, though again, I can understand and wouldn't oppose a requirement to conceal them.

Public places generally, again, I'm fine with it. Planes, I can understand them prohibiting them there for various reasons.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:09 am

Good article in Washington Post about what guns mean to some people:

Article
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Call of duty causes light PTSD symptoms in his grandfather (at least that's how I like to imagine it).

Return to “Introversion Lounge”