Board games

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

Do you play board games?

Never
No votes
Sometimes
57%
Often
13%
Special occasions only
30%
Puzzles only
No votes
Different, please specify
No votes

Total votes: 30
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:03 pm

I keep meaning to teach my girlfriend to play it too!
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:16 pm

Rkiver wrote:Edit: Quite, quiet. Meh.

Quite quiet indeed. :P

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:34 am

You've excelled yourself this week, jelco.
Nakatomi is coming
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:05 am

On special occasions only. If everybody liked the same games I did, maybe I'd play more often, but alas. I'm not much for competitive games, especially if they require strategy. That means Settlers of Catan, Chess, Risk, Stratego, Acquire, etc. They stress me out. Maybe I should work on that. Anyway, I like games that are about the social interaction. Cranium, Apples to Apples, Sniglets, Scattegories, etc. Apples to Apples especially. That is, when you're playing with people that won't be offended by something politically incorrect, such as family. The best games are games that make you laugh.

wwarnick
Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 am

Mmm. Party games can be really fun, but cluster enough people around the board and any game can be a party game. Back in my high school drama club, I brought Pirateer to play backstage between scenes. People really seemed to enjoy it because you needed skill and luck to win. Often the favorite to win would fall behind someone else because he couldn't roll the right numbers.
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:51 am

Grandstone wrote: Often the favorite to win would fall behind someone else because he couldn't roll the right numbers.

Same with Risk I love that board game. I can play that game anytime anywhere. Actually I just finished a Risk game with myself. The greens won.

But like Grandstone said, its all about the right numbers. I was totally losing a Risk game when I was playing with a couple people, but I came back by rolling sixes and fives, and boom, I won. Entertaining game...

-$tanley
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:20 am

With 2 commonweath and 2 swedish housemates, we regularly sit down (when we're all at home) to play the Swedish national game of Fia / Ludo / Parcheesi I think you call it across the pond. We even have a cute little set with Santa gnomes...
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:45 pm

All American Mobster wrote: Same with Risk I love that board game. I can play that game anytime anywhere. Actually I just finished a Risk game with myself. The greens won.

But like Grandstone said, its all about the right numbers. I was totally losing a Risk game when I was playing with a couple people, but I came back by rolling sixes and fives, and boom, I won. Entertaining game...

-$tanley

Actually, I'd argue that while having the right numbers can certainly make things easier, unless you just have consistently horrible numbers, Risk is all about strategy. :wink:
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:52 pm

wwarnick wrote:Apples to Apples especially. That is, when you're playing with people that won't be offended by something politically incorrect, such as family.
No one ever lets you get away with playing "Schoolgirls" on "Succulent" without first wanting to see just how bad the rest of your hand was.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:06 pm

coolsi wrote:You've excelled yourself this week, jelco.

I'm afraid this is sarcastic.

EDIT: If it's not, I appreciate the compliment.

Jelco
Last edited by jelco on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:28 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
All American Mobster wrote: Same with Risk I love that board game. I can play that game anytime anywhere. Actually I just finished a Risk game with myself. The greens won.

-$tanley

Actually, I'd argue that while having the right numbers can certainly make things easier, unless you just have consistently horrible numbers, Risk is all about strategy. :wink:

Well, (I think I'm going to contradict myself here...) the roll of the dice does play a part, but like Rimmer said, stratagy is #1.

-$tanley
Chimaera
level2
level2

Postby Chimaera » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:19 am

Axis and Allies for ever! except not very often, because it takes so long. I play chess occasionly, and sometimes monopoly (after explaining to my 15 year old brother that no, he can't borrow £2000 from the bank and build a chain of hotels) but I like stuff like Risk and Carcassone.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:08 am

Mas Tnega wrote:No one ever lets you get away with playing "Schoolgirls" on "Succulent" without first wanting to see just how bad the rest of your hand was.

Or "Anne Frank" on "Funny".

wwarnick
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:44 am

like apparently quite a lot of other people I love risk, unfortunately since either me or my grandad almost always wins no one wants to play with us, and two player risk isn't so fun :P
(Also, while turtling in risk is possible you can't do it if you want to get those risk cards :wink: )

Actually, since several people quite like risk would anyone sign up for a forum game of risk if I organised one?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:19 pm

wwarnick wrote:
Mas Tnega wrote:No one ever lets you get away with playing "Schoolgirls" on "Succulent" without first wanting to see just how bad the rest of your hand was.

Or "Anne Frank" on "Funny".

wwarnick
OK, you win.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”