Movie Thread

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:12 pm

Babylon5 wrote:Back on track, I bought a French film I've been wanting to see for a while called Angel-A, directed by Luc Besson, the guy who did The Fifth Element.

Been meaning to watch that but kept getting distracted by Jamel Debbouze's right arm.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:59 am

Is Luc Besson any good? I saw a movie he produced (Banlieue 13) to practice French and came out thinking the action fine and the story preachy. Are the movies he directed any better?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:01 am

Didn't he direct Leon? That's pretty good. :)

The Fifth Element is also pretty good!
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:17 am

He also wrote Taxi. But yeah, I really like Fifth Element.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:31 pm

I think he did Run, Lola, Run! too, but I'm not sure.

Anything I've ever seen by him was fantastic.

I also highly recommend a German film called Das Experiment.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Krell
level2
level2

Postby Krell » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:11 pm

Pox wrote:
Hyperion wrote:I had the perfect cinema experience last night...i haven't seen Blade Runner in years and had been contemplating buying it of recent times until i checked my local cinema listings and they were showing the new Final Cut....so off i went to book my ticket during my lunch break and straight after work made my way across town to the cinema...it was practically full and with appreciative people who sat mostly silent and at the end shared enjoyment and the awesomeness (not of my vocabulary) of the film...a very fine evening indeed :) ...

...since we're sharing :roll:

They've done ANOTHER cut of Blade Runner? I thought the 90's director's cut was the awesomage, original theatrical was rubbish. Yay for Ridley Scott. Alien > Blade Runner though.

The Final Cut, which is the new one released, was completly controlled by Ridley Scott. Seems the "Director's Cut" was done without much Ridley involvement at all. So if you want a REAL Director's Cut, get The Final Cut.
InterNIC: Created to save agents everywhere
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Montyphy wrote:
Babylon5 wrote:Back on track, I bought a French film I've been wanting to see for a while called Angel-A, directed by Luc Besson, the guy who did The Fifth Element.

Been meaning to watch that but kept getting distracted by Jamel Debbouze's right arm.

I watched that in the cinema, i liked it but it's a mixed film artsy/romantic/tragic-comedy, plus it's all black and white too...if memory serves correctly O_o bit of a marmite film :roll:
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:21 pm

Yes, it is all in b&w, but it's done well, particularly the bit at the end.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:55 pm

Went out with a bunch of friends to see "Cloverfield" today (the movie wasn't the purpose of the excursion btw) and was stunned with how bad it was - think AvP, but less original.

Seriously. Nauseating hand-held "pocketcam" shooting, a plot of "monster suddenly appears in manhattan, people run", characters with no personality and baby monsters looking exactly like the offspring of a face-hugger and an antlion.

Also, a boring 15-minute introduction serving no purpose to the rest of the film, and an abrupt ending after just 70 minutes. The whole film seemed like what should be an introduction to a much bigger story: it could have easily been shown in 15 minutes without the senseless padding.

Goes to show that no amount of stunning CGI can make a good film when the CGI artist appears to be writing the plot.

If you're planning to see it: IMHO, don't bother.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:57 pm

AvP2, Requim, whatever.

Well it's better then the first one, but that wouldn't be hard considering the first one was written for children.

That being said it's not great, though the kid and father being facehuggered was well done imho.

Wait for the DVD, or just torrent it. Not worth the ticket price.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:38 pm

watched "Y tu mamá también" yesterday and thought it was pretty good.
It's a mexican road movie
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:43 pm

Saw St Trinian's this Tuesday.

I enjoyed it, and not because girls in short skirts with psychopathic tendencies are my role models. That's just what she says.

OK, so what if it was?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:19 am

Mas Tnega wrote:Saw St Trinian's this Tuesday.

I enjoyed it, and not because girls in short skirts with psychopathic tendencies are my role models. That's just what she says.

OK, so what if it was?

Yeah, that one turned out to be surprisingly watchable.

Recently I saw Lust, Caution and I highly recommend it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even the sex scenes could *almost* be non-gratuitous. ;)

Also, Charlie Wilson's War isn't bad either :)
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:21 am

Just saw Cloverfield today, and I must disagree with Pox. I personally thought the movie was great, certainly not the high water mark of cinema but easily one of the better movies I've seen in quite a while.

Looking at his comments, I find it kinda funny that the things he didn't like were the things that I felt made the movie more then just another monster flick. What he describes as "padding" I thought were vital for the atmosphere they were going for, it gave it an authentic "caught in the middle" feel to things. To each their own I guess.

If you are going to see it: wait until the end of the credits and listen closely. :wink:
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:45 am

Feud wrote:Just saw Cloverfield today, and I must disagree with Pox. I personally thought the movie was great, certainly not the high water mark of cinema but easily one of the better movies I've seen in quite a while.

Looking at his comments, I find it kinda funny that the things he didn't like were the things that I felt made the movie more then just another monster flick. What he describes as "padding" I thought were vital for the atmosphere they were going for, it gave it an authentic "caught in the middle" feel to things. To each their own I guess.

If you are going to see it: wait until the end of the credits and listen closely. :wink:

Different tastes, it happens :P

Also, I left at the start of the credits... what was there?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”