Religion

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What is your religion?

Christianity
35%
Islam
2%
Judaism
No votes
Hinduism
No votes
Buddhism
3%
Chinese
2%
Asian Tribal
No votes
Other Asian
No votes
African Tribal
No votes
Spiritism
No votes
Philosophical
2%
Modern
No votes
None
5%
Other
3%
Agnostic
12%
Atheist
37%

Total votes: 60
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:01 pm

From what I understand between the collective rabid foam and rhetoric:
To the deist, a god is everything beyond human comprehension, personified.
To the atheist, a god is everything beyond human comprehension, personified.

If two polar opposites agree on what a god is, then something stupid's going on and I think I'll wait until they resolve that before taking sides.

Being sceptical and all, I ignore the other stuff too. Some of it is quite silly, some of it is outright stupid, and some even self-defines as meaningless in and of itself.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:11 pm

I would have to say 'Christianity'. However, most of modern Christianity is really just Churchianity and I'm going to point out that Webster defines Christianity as "the religion derived from Jesus Christ, based on the Bible as sacred scripture, and professed by Eastern, Roman Catholic, and Protestant bodies". While I believe I'm a follower of Christ, I don't have the same beliefs as Eastern, Roman Catholic, or Protestant 'bodies'. :wink: I.e., don't celebrate or believe in Christmas or Easter and other such so-called 'Christian' practices.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:28 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:I know, and I mentioned this in my post. But I think these options will show a general outline what forms of religion are more common among the people in this community. After all, that is the goal of this series of polls: to get an idea of other people's interests, and to get the conversations started on these subjects.

Jelco
If that was entirely directed at me, I was the Agnostic.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:39 pm

Agnostic for me :)
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:02 pm

Atheism here. Although I try not to be one of the mad shouty ones always criticising others' religions. Taking the piss when the people make rather odd / stupid claims (from my point of view) is, on the other hand, completely justified...
Yes it does get you in trouble, but there's no fun without the arguments about silly things. Arguing about the big stuff is just not going to get anyone anywhere, but the little things are fair game.
Feud
level5
level5

Re: Religion

Postby Feud » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:24 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:
Note that I simply don't have the space to list all subreligions (like Mormonism, which I've seen mentioned quite a few times around here).

Don't worry about it, we are perfectly happy (and prefer) to be classed under Christianity.

As the above makes clear, my vote goes Christianity, even though, like Ace, I don't fall under the Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant category (depending on who you ask).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:44 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:To the deist, a god is everything beyond human comprehension, personified.
To the atheist, a god is everything beyond human comprehension, personified.

The deist says: "Ah, there are things that we do not understand. It must be god[s|es|esses]."
The atheist says: "Ah, there are things that we do not understand. We should investigate them, and hope that we might understand them someday."

Atheists generally do not define what god is, as it is damn near impossible to define something that doesn't exist. So, I would disagree with your statement that atheists and deists agree on how to define god.

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:06 pm

I have to say christianity because I've been bought up like like, but I'm swaying more to agnostic.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:36 pm

I wondered how long it would be till this came up. I would've done it myself, but i wasnt in for criticism :wink: But I say Christian. Why is it some people say 'im this, but im swaying more towards this'? Just curious. Nobody has to answer that by the way.

-$tanley
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:39 pm

I believe that there is a god, and that he made the universe to be completely self-sustaining, following its own laws with everything having a logical cause and effect.
I believe this because God (by defenition) is perfect, and so his large creation would be also perfect, and a self-sustaining universe (i.e. doesn't need maintainance or upkeep) is the most perfect way to make one.

Thus, I believe that there is a god, and if there is something I don't understand, it came from God, but "we should investigate them, and hope that we might understand them someday."

Just to prove that xander's two examples aren't mutually exclusive. :P

Shwart!!
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:46 am

I'm definitely in the 'athiesm' crowd, and I confess to enjoying poking holes in christianity and islam (is that the noun? I've gone blank) - although I do try not to be offensive. I know many religious people who I'm very good friends with, but I do get annoyed when someone tries to push it on me... and then I have to pull out the Heirophant's Proselytizer Questionnaire. ;)
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:57 am

Cargo cult. Hail the great metal beast.

All American Mobster wrote:Why is it some people say 'im this, but im swaying more towards this'?

Because they believe the former, but have doubts about it.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:49 am

Oooo.

-$tanley
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:31 am

xander wrote:The deist says: "Ah, there are things that we do not understand. It must be god[s|es|esses]."
The atheist says: "Ah, there are things that we do not understand. We should investigate them, and hope that we might understand them someday."
The atheist's statement is not unique to the atheist.
The deist may say: "What did god[s|ess|esses] cause to happen to lead up to this?"

The only thing I see wrong with my statements is that I deliberately neglected significant emphasis. I neglected it because I don't think much of the difference it makes.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:49 am

Pox wrote:I'm definitely in the 'athiesm' crowd, and I confess to enjoying poking holes in christianity and islam (is that the noun? I've gone blank) - although I do try not to be offensive. I know many religious people who I'm very good friends with, but I do get annoyed when someone tries to push it on me... and then I have to pull out the Heirophant's Proselytizer Questionnaire. ;)

For the sake of your appearance when "poking holes" I hope that you use something better then the questionnaire, that thing was just down right silly.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”