Animal Testing

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

Are you for or against animal testing? (For medical purposes, not cosmetic)

For animal testing
80%
Against animal testing
20%

Total votes: 30
walrus47
level4
level4

Animal Testing

Postby walrus47 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:07 pm

Ok I'm just wondering what anyones stance on animal testing for the purpose of medicine would be. I've been debating it with a few people I know recently and was wondering what other people think of it. I am talking about purely for medical research which I would consider to be different to testing for cosmetic reasons.
I've made the poll with just a for or against animal testing, as I think it can be stripped down to a yes or no question with regards to medical reasons for it.
I personally would be for animal testing, and was quite surprised to see how many people I knew that were dead against testing of any kind.
So what does anyone else think about it?
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:14 pm

If not testing on animals then what? Testing on people??
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:23 pm

Well, yes. Never short of people that desperate for some extra cash. [size=0]Spot the moral implication.[/size]
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:38 pm

Hehehe... testing cures for bubonic plague will be extremely popular with people who need money :lol: :lol:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:28 pm

Not only am I for testing animals, I think that if they score high enough they should be admitted to college. If that Koala is the best choice for a spot, then it's welcome as far as I'm concerned.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:31 pm

As rus|Mike said, if not animals, then who? I would want to be fairly certain that a medicine at least failed to kill rats, pigs, and maybe macaques before it went into human trials. Unlike cosmetics, medicines are things that should effect people's lives, and we should at least know that they aren't going to kill anyone (to the best of our knowledge) before trying them out on humans.

xander
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:19 pm

Well I don't know. I don't think we can fairly test animals until we first fix our tests. All tests are already biased to their home countries, causing even immigrants to score lower. Think how biased they are to our species. Besides, they only test inert intelligence and are therefore hardly worth our time.

wwarnick
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:25 pm

Im fine with cloning, and it depends on the kind of tests that people perform.

-$tanley
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:52 pm

wwarnick wrote:Well I don't know. I don't think we can fairly test animals until we first fix our tests. All tests are already biased to their home countries, causing even immigrants to score lower. Think how biased they are to our species. Besides, they only test inert intelligence and are therefore hardly worth our time.

wwarnick
Stop confusing me with your twisted words.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:54 pm

xyzyxx wrote:Stop confusing me with your twisted words.

So are you advocating species segregation of equally qualified individuals?
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:56 pm

I ain't advocating anything I can't pronounce.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:05 pm

Feud wrote:

I am! Dang monkeys.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:33 pm

Feud wrote:

Are you suggesting that there are monkeys as qualified as humans for all but the most menial jobs? It is a well known fact that inferior species are inferior in intelligence, articulateness, and ability to properly follow directions. It isn't their fault, but they are simply not qualified to hold most jobs. They should be looked after, and taken care of -- maybe even loved -- but they are not our equals.

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:36 pm

xander wrote:Are you suggesting that there are monkeys as qualified as humans for all but the most menial jobs? It is a well known fact that inferior species are inferior in intelligence, articulateness, and ability to properly follow directions. It isn't their fault, but they are simply not qualified to hold most jobs. They should be looked after, and taken care of -- maybe even loved -- but they are not our equals.

xander

I'm suggesting as my first post stated:

Feud wrote:Not only am I for testing animals, I think that if they score high enough they should be admitted to college. If that Koala is the best choice for a spot, then it's welcome as far as I'm concerned.

I think that if any animal is smart enough to pass the entrance exam to a given college that they should be treated on par with their human counter parts. That isn't to say that all animals of a given species are as smart as humans, but if one comes about I think it should be allowed access to higher learning. :D
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:50 pm

test have proved that animals are inferior beings that want to infiltrate our species and overthrow us. Therefor we must rid the world of those filthy unterspecies to protects our own uberspecies !!!
Gas the animals

Return to “Introversion Lounge”