Rugby

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
JESUS
level2
level2

Postby JESUS » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:21 am

world idiot wrote:having said that, it was a good game against France (hahaha, we Brits won) but SA are probably gonna win :(

Brits ?? Please don't include the welsh , scottish or irish in our glorious triumph :P

England have also got a score to settle with SA . . . . :x
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:23 am

MegaDeathKill! wrote:Edit: You think the Aussies and France are not competent opposition??? :roll:

Nah. As an Australian, I'm the first to say they were rubbish. The French are also rubbish, and the Kiwis are, apparently, chokers.

Competent teams: SA, Argentina. Maybe England (competent at boring the opposition into submission ;) ) Maybe even Fiji, they gave SA a run for their money ...
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:59 pm

JESUS wrote:
Hyperion wrote:It's basically like american football

It nothing like American football . . :x The only similarity is the shape of the ball not even the size of it . .

Lots of big angry men running at eachother trying to get a touchdown or getting points for putting the ball through the very similiar shaped 'H' goal post thing, nothing similiar at all :wink:
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:06 pm

Hyperion wrote:
JESUS wrote:

It nothing like American football . . :x The only similarity is the shape of the ball not even the size of it . .

Lots of big angry men running at eachother trying to get a touchdown or getting points for putting the ball through the very similiar shaped 'H' goal post thing, nothing similiar at all :wink:

You're evidently clueless. Else by your metric field and ice hockey are identical.

NeoThermic
JESUS
level2
level2

Postby JESUS » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:08 pm

Hyperion wrote:
JESUS wrote:

heh . . With that train of thought you could link most sports.

But the rules of rugby and american football are a world apart . . .
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:13 pm

Out of all the sports that i've ever seen or known of, Rugby and American Football have the most similiarities (IMO), i am not saying they are the exact same thing, i was giving a very brief description to Feud who said he didn't know what the sport was and had only heard it's name :P

So forgive me for not being proportionally correct, no...the rules of American Football are not the same, they share the same 'shape' playing field, they both encompass a large number of players to each team, they are both a highly aggressive and fast contact sport that require alot of accuracy and stamina, the goal of both games is to reach a 'touchdown' by physically placing the similiarly shaped ball over the goal lines at each end of the field or when given the chance to put the ball through the 'H' shaped posts.

I do not claim to know the rules to each sport :P i merely assumed Feud knew about American Football and it would be the easiest and closest example for him to relate to, next time i'll just place a wiki link.

EDIT: JESUS posted whilst i was writing.
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:35 pm

MegaDeathKill! wrote:
MikeTheWookiee wrote:We really don't have a prayer. Yes it'll be closer than 36-0, and one hellishly ugly game to watch, but I can't see England winning against competent opponents like the South Africans.

Don't be so negative! It's the Final and anything can happen. SA have weaknesses that we can exploit, just as we have weaknesses. It'll be damn close and I have a good feeling about England. Also, the boys will want to give SA some back after the defeats they've inflicted on us this year. COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!

Edit: You think the Aussies and France are not competent opposition??? :roll:

Well, Australia don't have anything resembling a proper pack, and England have one of the strongest in the world. [insert comment about them all really being league players and league being a girls' game]. England made the most of this forward dominance by keeping the play up there and stopping the Aussie backs getting it. Jonny did the rest.
If you try and play expansive back-led rugby against them, you're going to get beaten, especially if your backs are as awful as England's are. Usually the Aussies manage to taunt the opposition into trying to play such a game, but for once England rose above it and played a game which suited them.

As for France, they forgot that they weren't playing New Zealand any more. They played pretty much the exact same way as they did the week before, but should have concentrated more on their strengths; namely back play and running at the opposition out wide. Seeing how they have a competent pack, there would have been a more even contest at forward play, leading to their backs actually getting the ball.

South Africa are, on the other hand, neither tactically inept nor lightweight up front. They also have some pretty tasty backs, especially that Habana guy. They'll play in a way that won't play directly to England's strengths, and have the ammunition to do something about it once they get opportunities.

As for us, out entire strategy is to make it a massive forward fight, grinding down the opposition's resolve (and will to live) until they give away a penalty. If it's anywhere in their half, Jonny can kick it. Yes we have improved, mainly IMO from getting rid of that Farrell guy, and starting to play like I described above once Jonny returned. I really don't believe that kicking it at them and letting their backline beach itself against our (admittedly quite good now) defence is going to work with the tools they have at their disposal.
MegaDeathKill!
level2
level2

Postby MegaDeathKill! » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:23 pm

Well, it was a close game as I predicted. I'm just thankful we didn't get another three points, otherwise that unbelievably disallowed try would've cost us the Cup!

Well done, SA though, they are worthy champions.
walrus47
level4
level4

Postby walrus47 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:22 am

Was never a try, his foot hit the line before he got it up. :P :twisted:
janerose
level1
level1

Re: Rugby

Postby janerose » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:15 pm

Ohh.. I've been trying to find a good site for rugby betting, but I'm struggling to find one that offers comprehensive coverage of all the leagues, especially the lesser-known ones. I'm also looking for a site that provides insightful analysis and tips. Does anyone have recommendations for a platform that covers a wide range of rugby competitions and offers solid betting advice?
katrinyjess111111
level0

Re: Rugby

Postby katrinyjess111111 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:06 pm

Interesting! My favorite sport is rugby. You know, Rugby League's essence—power, pace, and passion—is compellingly captured in an article I read. As a fan of rugby league spirit, it resonated deeply with me. Does anyone else feel the same way about the sport, and what aspects do you love the most?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”