What are your goals in life? What keeps you going?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
torig
level5
level5

What are your goals in life? What keeps you going?

Postby torig » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:17 am

Simple. What are your dreams, visions, things you've accomplished or still would like to accomplish?

Mine:
Previous goals/dreams (that have been accomplished):

1/ Build up a carreer I can proudly look back on and that I enjoyed building, without sacrificing my integrity (for money).
2/ Learn to _really_ ride a supersports motorcycle.

Some new-found goals:

1/ Maintain a "professional" status-quo (salary-wise). I can't see my income going up any more in "conventional" ways. Being an independent consultant has propelled me to a new level (which is perhaps why most independents are 30-35+ ?) . I *can* see ways to raise my income even further (invest, start a few other companies in different professions, whatever..) but I can't see *why* I'd bother. (Being the next multi-multi millionaire doesn't appeal to me. I love my job so an early retirement would probably suck too ;) And short of the house/apartment, yacht or such things for the ultra-rich I don't have the feeling I cannot afford what I need or want).
2/ Concentrate more on my hobbies -motorcycle racing, gaming, movies- and pick up new ones -skydiving, learn to speak 2 new languages (Russian & another to be decided)
3/ Less work, more play. The past years I've _slaved_ away at work and while that has gotten me far, it's also cost me. It's only now that I've "popped out of that shell" that I realise how much I've been missing out on the smaller things in life, that can be experienced with friends, family or even by yourself.
4/ Content myself easier. After accomplishing a goal I shouldn't immediately aim higher, want more, ...
5/ Let shallow and materialistic people affect me less.

There's a "special reason" I came up with this thread, but if the discussion doesn't get started (or doesn't veer in that direction) there's no point in mentioning it really ;)[/i]
Rising Thunder MVP
level2
level2

Postby Rising Thunder MVP » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:18 am

my goals are to list points in point numbers and not to read other's threads, BIT LIKE URSELF
Last edited by Rising Thunder MVP on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:20 am

You say you want to take up skydiving. Why? Why the hell would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Why don't you take up areobatics, instead? Areobatics are better.

xander
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:28 am

xander wrote:You say you want to take up skydiving. Why? Why the hell would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Why don't you take up areobatics, instead? Areobatics are better.

xander

I immediately assumed you saw my reaction to RC in his thread about his tattoo, and that you were jokingly refering back to that. To my joy areobatics wasn't a typo either (just something I hadn't heard off).
Frankly, I want to *try* it. See what sensation it gives. It should have been pretty clear by now (if you bumped into the right threads) that I'm a speed junkie. 0-250km/h in what..3-4 seconds? It appeals to me and that's it. Additionally, I'd like to combine travelling with skydiving; and ultimately, BASEjumping (that is, if I didn't wet my pants the first time I tried skydiving ;) ).

Oh, I forgot to add it to my list:

I want to jump off the Petronas Twin towers in Malaysia. That is an objective in and on itself ;) (It's only legally allowed once a year, you have to have enough proven experience, ...).

Oh and for skydiving, it's also a purely economic reason. Racing 1 day at Spa-Francorchamps costs 190EUR. Add food, transportation, tire usage (a brand new tire is completely gone after some 500-1500kms of riding, as opposed to some 8000-10000km during street "normal" use.), unstable and unpredictabl weather conditions and the fact you only ride 4x 25/30 minutes (to 6x 25/30 minutes with another organisation, but mostly it's 4x30 on Francorchamps which is relatively close to me and a highspeed track). I could pop up at the dropzone if the weather looked good, rent some gear (buy it over time) and just have a (few) go(es). Cheap, easy to plan, and said to be a thrill ;)
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:48 am

xander wrote:You say you want to take up skydiving. Why? Why the hell would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Why don't you take up areobatics, instead? Areobatics are better.

xander

It's actually a lot of fun, I got into it a few years back (ditched school the day after my 18th birthday to go my first time). My current student budget has hampered my opportunities to go lately, but in a few years when I am working full time I'd like to get back into it.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:05 am

I honestly feel that anyone that would strap a parachute to their backs and jump out of a plane / off of a cliff is fucking nuts. I like to fly airplanes, not jump out of them. But, hey, if plummeting to your death sounds like fun to you, I won't stop you. ;)

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:11 am

I've met most of my goals, but have fallen short on a few.

The most annoying one that I will soon miss is my goal to make it through my under grad work without any debt (law school will require substantial loans, so I wanted to make it that far). I almost made it, but an unexpected wedding came up, and as a result I'm going to fall short of my goal. Oh well, I made it to my senior year.

I've got several goals in life, with smaller goals strung out along the path of the bigger ones, so I'll just condense my main ones:

*Get married and raise a family in our faith. This one isn't one that can or should be planned out like the others, but it is the most important in my mind.

*Get a job that provides enough money for my family to be financially sound, while allowing me time to be with my family. Actual amount isn't important, so long as we can afford a good home, and have enough to provide for our needs then I'm happy.

*Endure to the end. When I die I want to leave behind unfinished business. Nothing important or vital, but I want it to be said of me that I never gave up or quit working. I think it is said when the elderly are no longer engaged in life, whether due to disease (like Alzheimer's) or choice (those who willingly give up on life). My grandpa is 86 this year, and he is constantly building things, remodeling things, and tinkering or tweaking stuff in his workshop. He may be slower then he was, but his mind is sharp, his body is active, and he is more spiritual now then ever. I want to be the same way.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:13 am

xander wrote:I honestly feel that anyone that would strap a parachute to their backs and jump out of a plane / off of a cliff is fucking nuts. I like to fly airplanes, not jump out of them. But, hey, if plummeting to your death sounds like fun to you, I won't stop you. ;)

xander

You gotta go somehow! :D
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:15 am

xander wrote:I honestly feel that anyone that would strap a parachute to their backs and jump out of a plane / off of a cliff is fucking nuts. I like to fly airplanes, not jump out of them. But, hey, if plummeting to your death sounds like fun to you, I won't stop you. ;)

xander

Most people will honestly feel like that.
For some perspective, my motorcycle has the _exact_ acceleration in first two gears as the Kawasaki GP motorcycle. The first gear goes to 170 (long one), second to 210-215. There are 4 gears left. Is that more, or less, insane? And is it more, or less, safe?

Ironically, I've sworn I will never try skying, as I think the risks are too high :oops:

Feud, those are nice goals. I wish you all the best in achieving them!!

xander wrote: I like to fly airplanes

But since you brought it up, just wondering if you perform areobatics then?
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:26 am

xander

You'll be kicking yourself if your plane suffers engine failure and you're forced to ditch a few thousand feet up and you don't know how to safely open/land your parachute :wink:
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:31 am

Something'll always bite you in the ass. :D
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:40 am

I have a dream about running my own business in Dublin. At the moment I am actually working on the business plan for it, working out costs etc, and if it is feasible, I will then go for it.

As for my goals. My main goal at the moment is to continue just living and enjoying my life with my wife.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:55 am

Rkiver wrote:I have a dream about running my own business in Dublin. At the moment I am actually working on the business plan for it, working out costs etc, and if it is feasible, I will then go for it.

As for my goals. My main goal at the moment is to continue just living and enjoying my life with my wife.

Keeping it simple, couldn't agree with you more :)
Pathy
level2
level2

Postby Pathy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:21 am

Kill all humans.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:23 am

Pathy wrote:Kill all humans.

Nihilist? :P

Return to “Introversion Lounge”