The New Game

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What catagory would your game be?

Real Time Strategy
43%
First Person Shooter
10%
Role-Playing
14%
Massively Multiplayer of any kind
14%
Puzzle
5%
Adventure
14%

Total votes: 21
Shwart!!
level5
level5

The New Game

Postby Shwart!! » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:23 am

If you were going to create an entirely new game (meaning not a sequel to something), disregarding difficulty of creation, what would it be?
Please post and elaborate. The poll is merely to show what catagories people would make predominantly.

Yes, this is meant as a placeholder for Jelco. It is no doubt of less quality than his, and is intended to encourage him.

Shwart!!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:16 am

You stole my idea, except I couldn't think of a decent poll. Since you left simulator off, I picked MMORPG.
Probably some sort of fighter squadron where you have to have wingmen and team leaders and such. Fly multi player skirmishes, to go it alone would mean certain death.

Have entire squadrons of fighters launched from carriers just off shore of the enemy territory. You'd have to work as a team and gain rank. Something like that.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:01 am

I'm still waiting for someone to do a remake of Red Storm Rising and/or M1 Tank Platoon.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:32 am

Well I chose FPS because you didn't include 3PS, however me and my programmer friend are thinking of making some kind of Crime game where you have a small area of a city (procedurally generated I might add :) ) and have to break into a certain building etc
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:44 am

I demand the option "All the above and a few others"
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:53 am

Actually speaking of making games, I had a brilliant idea for a Metal Slug/Midnight Resistance/Sunset Riders/Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle Street Fight 2006 inspired run and gun game which also included an earlier rather comedic idea I had. Unfortunately due to the fact I can't program and also give up on something after two days work, just left me with an uncompleted level background and a few sketches.

I'm not telling you the name though, because that was the best bit and none of you bastards are having it. NONE OF YOU!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:57 am

My dream game is this meets this. So technically, my pick will have to be a MMO of any kind.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:09 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:There would be ranks, and you're promoted when your achievement are better than those of your commander. The higher your rank is, the more men you control.

The highest commanders can plan missions, choosing divisions etc. The point is to create a very realistic war game, using a chain of command and the ability to issue orders. Because, for example, a Commander-in-Chief can order specific divisions to enter some area using certain waypoints, but the commanders of those divisions have to give orders on the battlefield, sending out men to different key points etc.

This is the way mine would work as well. Except you would be part of a current worlds air force. There would be a set number of spots for any given country so you wouldn't have everybody joining the RAF for example.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Akatosh
level2
level2

Postby Akatosh » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:26 pm

Well, I'm already developing adventures, so I guess it's obvious.
This is not a signature.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:40 pm

I'd like an old-school adventure-style game. :D
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:43 pm

If I were to create a game, my first focus would be on the gameplay and mechanics. I would not attempt to have it fit into a pre-defined genre. Make the game first, then let other people figure out what it is.

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:11 pm

xander wrote:If I were to create a game, my first focus would be on the gameplay and mechanics. I would not attempt to have it fit into a pre-defined genre. Make the game first, then let other people figure out what it is.

xander

you know I think that's an attitude a lot of the industry should adopt.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:25 pm

By the way, Shwart!!, what you do mean by titling this topic "The New Game"?

xander
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:47 pm

I have loads of game ideas rattling around, but there's only really one I'm seriously considering sitting down and making. I've done a bit of basic design (proper, computer sciency type design!) and might start working on it this summer. I voted 'puzzle', because out of all of them it best fits in there, but it's not nessecarily possible to put it in a genre, since it's essentially a series of minigames (but cohesivly linked).

Now, as for the idea, it's a little tricky to explain (and I don't have a 100% clear idea of where I'm going with it yet, so don't want to say too much), but try to imagine a cross between Darwinia, Rez, WarioWare, quite a few little addictive flash games that have given me inspiration, and a salvia trip. Yes, there will be chimneys :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:03 pm

Darksun wrote:Now, as for the idea, it's a little tricky to explain (and I don't have a 100% clear idea of where I'm going with it yet, so don't want to say too much), but try to imagine a cross between Darwinia, Rez, WarioWare, quite a few little addictive flash games that have given me inspiration, and a salvia trip. Yes, there will be chimneys :P

And you will be porting it to Mac OS X, right?

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”