The New Game

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What catagory would your game be?

Real Time Strategy
9
43%
First Person Shooter
2
10%
Role-Playing
3
14%
Massively Multiplayer of any kind
3
14%
Puzzle
1
5%
Adventure
3
14%
 
Total votes: 21
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:03 pm

Darksun wrote:Now, as for the idea, it's a little tricky to explain (and I don't have a 100% clear idea of where I'm going with it yet, so don't want to say too much), but try to imagine a cross between Darwinia, Rez, WarioWare, quite a few little addictive flash games that have given me inspiration, and a salvia trip. Yes, there will be chimneys :P

And you will be porting it to Mac OS X, right?

xander
User avatar
wwarnick
level5
level5
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: Rexburg, ID

Postby wwarnick » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:53 pm

Nope.

I'd make an RTS because I am making an RTS (technically). It's an extremely simple concept, much simpler than defcon. The computer player at the moment does nothing. At the moment, I'm thinking of ways to implement fog of war, and I have no experience at all with such stuff. I'm thinking of using a 3-color bitmap to show which areas are unexplored, explored, or currently visible. It shouldn't be too bad.

wwarnick
Darksun
level5
level5
Posts: 6461
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:08 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Postby Darksun » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:02 am

xander wrote:
Darksun wrote:Now, as for the idea, it's a little tricky to explain (and I don't have a 100% clear idea of where I'm going with it yet, so don't want to say too much), but try to imagine a cross between Darwinia, Rez, WarioWare, quite a few little addictive flash games that have given me inspiration, and a salvia trip. Yes, there will be chimneys :P

And you will be porting it to Mac OS X, right?

xander


Well, actually, I was planning on using C#/XNA/DX, so porting it to non-windows systems might be a bit tricky :/

Of course, you could stop being such a god damn hippy and accept Microsoft as your lord and master!
User avatar
KingAl
level5
level5
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:42 am

Postby KingAl » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:23 am

xander wrote:If I were to create a game, my first focus would be on the gameplay and mechanics. I would not attempt to have it fit into a pre-defined genre. Make the game first, then let other people figure out what it is.

xander


While that's all good and well, people have a natural tendency towards generalisations and current 'paradigms'. While ideally you work devoid of external influences, it isn't really possible - you probably already have preconceptions of what an 'undefined' game is like. I nevertheless agree that the ideal should still be striven for.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:52 am

KingAl wrote:
xander wrote:If I were to create a game, my first focus would be on the gameplay and mechanics. I would not attempt to have it fit into a pre-defined genre. Make the game first, then let other people figure out what it is.

xander

While that's all good and well, people have a natural tendency towards generalisations and current 'paradigms'. While ideally you work devoid of external influences, it isn't really possible - you probably already have preconceptions of what an 'undefined' game is like. I nevertheless agree that the ideal should still be striven for.

Oh, I don't imagine that I would be able to come up with anything truly unique or original. But, as I don't even design games, I figured I would post the ideal, i.e. come up with something original. Certainly, there will be influences from other sources -- standing on the shoulders of giants, and all that, but that doesn't mean that you can't combine old ideas in new ways, and come up with something novel. I think that IV have done this with all of their games. They have taken old concepts, but combined them in novel ways, to create novel games.

xander
Crusader Scott
level2
level2
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:24 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Postby Crusader Scott » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:04 am

I would vote for Other because I would make a turn-based game.

I am very old-fashioned in that regard. I think turn-based games, be they I Go - U Go or We-Go, allow the deepest gameplay. RTS games are fun, and clearly the dominating format for strategy games, but they just don't allow you enough time to think and strategize. Furthermore, RTS games, by their nature, exclude PBEM gaming. Young people don't really care for PBEM gaming; but once you get older and don't have as much free time as you used to, PBEM gaming quickly becomes a lifeline! LOL! :D

Just my two cents.
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Postby Montyphy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:16 am

Crusader Scott wrote:<-SNIP->


This has been mentioned before but is your avatar meant to be the hosted by Tripod image? The name suggests otherwise...
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Crusader Scott
level2
level2
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:24 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Postby Crusader Scott » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:17 am

Montyphy wrote:
This has been mentioned before but is your avatar meant to be the hosted by Tripod image? The name suggests otherwise...



Hmm...one upon a time it was a nuclear explosion. Oh well, time to delete it.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests