Grind House... freaking awesome? or super cheese?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What did you think of Grind House?

Loved It
25%
Pretty good
No votes
meh...mildly entertained
No votes
Too cheesy for me
No votes
Haven't seen it...but will
25%
Haven't seen it...but wont
50%

Total votes: 12
Trident
level2
level2

Grind House... freaking awesome? or super cheese?

Postby Trident » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Did anyone see the new Tarintino / Rodriguez double feature Grind House? It is a homage to low budget B horror movies of the 70s. Contains two short films back to back, with some hilarious fake trailes in between. It's extemely gory and requires a sick sense of humor to really enjoy. The first short film is everything a movie should be, non-stop action and entertainment. The second slowed things down a little and had some scenes with dialog that was quite pointless, but i still enjoyed it, expecially the ending. This is totally a guy movie, so when a group of friends and I saw it (sans girlfriends) most of us loved it, but not all.
If you haven't seen it, i'd strongly recommend you do. The premis seems a little cheesy, and it's supposed to be, but give it a chance and you wont be dissapointed.

If your gonna' vote, please comment.

::EDIT::
video_review_by_AVGN
Last edited by Trident on Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:47 pm

in europe they are actually going to split it up

i'm so disappointed but i still look forward to it

zombies and a chick with a machine gun instead of a leg, i have to see that movie/those two movies here
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:34 pm

zjoere wrote:in europe they are actually going to split it up

i'm so disappointed but i still look forward to it

zombies and a chick with a machine gun instead of a leg, i have to see that movie/those two movies here

thats quite lame, i guess they can get more money that way. Hope they keep the fake trailers in between, like i said there freaking hilarious. I'm not a big fan of going to the movie theatre, i'd just assume watch most films in the comfort of own home, but this is an event definatly worth seeing on the big screen. There are so many little things that really re-create what it must of been like to attend these cheap movie nights back in the 70s.

don't forget to vote.
Player7
level1
level1

Postby Player7 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:49 pm

I qute liked it. the second half was a little boring though.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:31 am

Not out in the UK yet. I hope they show it back to back, but I've heard they going to make it two seperate shows, that'd suck
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:03 pm

I was pretty sure they were doing it as a double feature. It's listed on the lovely sheet I have at work as just a single film, 'GrindHouse', and the trailers we're running for it say it's a double feature. I could be wrong, though. I also have the impression that each film comes separately anyway - each film is 6 reels, and most projectors can't handle much more than 10-reel mosters! (for reference, each LOTR film was 9 reels)

And from what I've heard, most of the fake "projector problems" are completely unrealistic, which would ruin it for me entirely. ;P
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:50 pm

I didn't realize before posting this topic that it hadn't been released in Europe. Being from North America i can tell you that both films are shown back to back as there intended to be, and there is no real intermission in between. As for whether that'll be changed for the Europe release i don't know, but i believe the whole premise of the 'grind house' cinema night was always a double feature, splitting them up would definatly take from the experience.

Having been born at the end of the era, I can't really relate to whether or not the projection problems are realistic. Although from what I have heard of, these where not big budget features and mostly shown in cheaper low class movie theaters. The reels where often mishandled and some where even missing. Realistic or not I think the so called projection problems and 'missing' reels are used to great nostalgic and sometimes comedic effect, in my opinion an excellent addition to the film.
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:00 pm

Ah but you see I'm a projectionist. So while from an aesthetic point of view they may be very enjoyable indeed, from a technical point of view they are apparently wrong.

some guy on a projectionists' forum wrote:Only the basic "positive dirt" looked realistic. Everything else was fake, fake, fake. When there is a splice resulting in a jump cut...the audio changes at the same time. The film jumping the sprockets was ridiculous...we shouldn't see BOTH edges of the sprockets on screen (along with no soundtrack) and it shouldn't just drop right back onto the track and keep running either. When the film burns in the gate it shouldn't have made all sort of burning noise through the sound system. The scratches shouldn't magically disappear or change positions at camera changes. Even the splice lines should've had 4 slightly crooked lines running across the middle of the frame, not one perfectly level every time. After all we are seeing 4 splicing tape edges per splice.

All of those seem like basic errors to me, and they're ones that I would notice and, being the pedantic bastard that I am, whinge to all and sundry about how they could have done it better. I'd probably enjoy the film, but I can't say for definite whether I'll see it or not. Usually I can just go and watch a bit of a film while I'm working, and decide whether to see it based on that. :D
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:13 pm

Well not being a projectionist (or a perfectionist) I can say that i liked all of that stuff because i wasn't pulling it apart and judging it constantly, i guess ignorance is bliss as they say. I'm not going to give it away but the missing reel section is quite funny. Anyways most of those effects where confined to the first film while the second, although grainy as it was, was less over the top.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:44 am

shinygerbil wrote:Ah but you see I'm a projectionist.

For a SU cinema or a 'proper'/professional cinema?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:34 am

well after a couple days the results of the poll are pretty much what i'd expected. Either you saw the film and liked it, haven't seen it but are into that sort of thing, or it's just completely not your taste.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:20 am

Trident wrote:well after a couple days the results of the poll are pretty much what i'd expected. Either you saw the film and liked it, haven't seen it but are into that sort of thing, or it's just completely not your taste.

Yes, but your sample size is far to small to make any kind of inference. That, and the fact that your poll is going to be highly influenced by responder bias errors. But, other than that, good on ya! ;)

xander
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:42 am

xander wrote:Yes, but your sample size is far to small to make any kind of inference. That, and the fact that your poll is going to be highly influenced by responder bias errors. But, other than that, good on ya! ;)

xander

remember i said after two days? I'm aware of the small number of votes,thanks for explaining the intricacies of consensus to me. Did you really think you had to post something like that? I guess you really showed me, didn't ya! ;)
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:03 pm

Montyphy wrote:
shinygerbil wrote:Ah but you see I'm a projectionist.

For a SU cinema or a 'proper'/professional cinema?

A 'reel' cinema. Oho, I know, I'm so funny. :D It's the Cineworld in Wandsworth, it's one of those big nasty 14-screen multiplexes, but it's a cinema, and it's fun to work in (projection, at least.) :)
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:25 pm

shinygerbil wrote:A 'reel' cinema.

"My eyes! The goggles do nothing!"

shinygerbil wrote:It's the Cineworld in Wandsworth, it's one of those big nasty 14-screen multiplexes, but it's a cinema, and it's fun to work in (projection, at least.) :)

Cool. How did you find out about the job?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”