3D?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:50 pm

xander wrote:To the people that these symbols represent, these distinctions are important.
To them yes, not to me or anyone else seemingly. Just as the majority on places on Earth have a difficult time forcing people to only use that particular name, it's fairly likely that the beholder will format the names how he sees fit depending on his own language and literacy. I've spoken to Korean people who have formatted my name into Hangul; I find it hard to believe that someone could try to claim that something is so steadfast, like there is some ultimately 'right' way to do something.

Frankly the whole debacle sounds suspiciously like the Derek Nippl-e sketch.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:25 pm

BrianBlessed wrote:
xander wrote:To the people that these symbols represent, these distinctions are important.
To them yes, not to me or anyone else seemingly. Just as the majority on places on Earth have a difficult time forcing people to only use that particular name, it's fairly likely that the beholder will format the names how he sees fit depending on his own language and literacy. I've spoken to Korean people who have formatted my name into Hangul; I find it hard to believe that someone could try to claim that something is so steadfast, like there is some ultimately 'right' way to do something.

Frankly the whole debacle sounds suspiciously like the Derek Nippl-e sketch.

Look, xander is my name. Not Xander, not x4nd3r, not ><4|\||)3r. Xander is not my name, any more than Henry or Dirk is. You can either respect that, and use "xander," or you can be an ass, and intentionally misspell it. That is up to you.

xander
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:45 pm

I'm not misspelling it, making the assumption that you are using the Roman alphabet as it would normally be used then the capital X is still an x. Personally I think if you want to remove any link between your name and conventional lettering standards you'd be better off just having some form of drawing. Anyway if you want to dictate how is 'the correct way' to spell/pronounce/interpret through dance your name that's your own agenda, however i'll continue to flaunt that dictation and deride you in a similar way as I would mental Christians or any people that believe in unsubjective facts.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:49 pm

BrianBlessed wrote:I'm not misspelling it, making the assumption that you are using the Roman alphabet as it would normally be used then the capital X is still an x.

Yes, you are. xander is my name. It is how I choose to represent myself. If you spell it with a capital letter, you are not spelling it correctly. Your assumption that it adheres to the normal conventions of English capitalization is incorrect. On an internet where there are literally thousands of "Xanders," it is a way that I can distinguish myself from the rest. Again, would you capitalize e.e. cummings' name, so that it would better fit with convention?

BrianBlessed wrote:Personally I think if you want to remove any link between your name and conventional lettering standards you'd be better off just having some form of drawing.

You are entitled to your opinion.

BrianBlessed wrote:Anyway if you want to dictate how is 'the correct way' to spell/pronounce/interpret through dance your name that's your own agenda, however i'll continue to flaunt that dictation and deride you in a similar way as I would mental Christians or any people that believe in unsubjective facts.

Do what you think you must. If it makes any difference to you, my wife thinks that you are a fuckwit. I am not inclined to go quite that far, but you are certainly an ass.

xander
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:10 am

xander wrote:Again, would you capitalize e.e. cummings' name, so that it would better fit with convention?

E.E. Cummings' name is often capitalized. . . even by Cummings himself. In fact many feel it is proper to render the name conventionally and leave the play of case to the poet himself.

xander wrote:Do what you think you must. If it makes any difference to you, my wife thinks that you are a fuckwit. I am not inclined to go quite that far, but you are certainly an ass.

An odd statement give your almost identical argument in the discussion over the use of "irregardless". Does your wife consider you a "fuckwit" as well? (I would assume not)

In any event I see capitalization as a stylistic choice and don't see how much meaning can be attached to it. On the internet capitalization is often forced upon text (using style sheets or what-not), so I don't feel relying on a certain capitalization in general is very safe. That said I try to use whatever capitalization the user uses when I can. Personally very few people actually use my username when referring to me (generally it is abbreviated in some manner). I think that is perfectly acceptable even though in real life I dislike being referred to as Dave (my name is David).
Last edited by Stewsburntmonkey on Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:14 am

xander wrote:Again, would you capitalize e.e. cummings' name, so that it would better fit with convention?

Not being someone studying English or in any position where I am writing formal literature about him, I would probably not formally name him anyway I would just called him Cummings naturally capitalising his name.

xander wrote:Do what you think you must. If it makes any difference to you, my wife thinks that you are a fuckwit. I am not inclined to go quite that far, but you are certainly an ass.

It's good to hear she's got her priorities right anyway, while the world is such a constantly horrific place it's good to know people are pointlessly standing up for arbitrary personal naming conventions. I'm fairly happy supposedly being a fuckwit as i've not neccessarily spoken out of turn, just responding to your rather abrasive and repetitive commandeering of the use of your name.

I would be inclined to say the two of you would be the fuckwits, but I generally only ever make incredibly derogatory statements for comic effect.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:15 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:An odd statement give your almost identical argument in the discussion over the use of "irregardless". Does your wife consider you a "fuckwit" as well? (I would assume not)

There is a difference between a name, which is a very personal symbol, and the language at large.

xander
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:23 am

xander wrote:There is a difference between a name, which is a very personal symbol, and the language at large.

Perhaps there is, but I think the difference isn't nearly as big as some would make it out to be.

It it interesting however, that those closest to a person are generally the least likely to use his proper name. Most husbands and wives have pet names or terms of affection for each other and friends often have alternative names for each other. Clearly the personal nature of a name is more dependent on the context than the characters or form of the name.
GAMER1992
level1
level1

Postby GAMER1992 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:32 am

This is giving me a headache. :?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:52 am

Regardless (irregardless? ;)) of what happens elsewhere, in the unremitting sea of anonymity that is the internet, individuality is hard to find. Is there any need to begrudge xander of that minor indulgence?
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:11 pm

If someone were to call me Wwarnick, I wouldn't mind. I call myself wwarnick merely because that is what I call myself. You can call me Steve if you like as long as it's obvious that you are referring to me. Whoops, I misspelled it. I meant steve. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I must have confused you. A name is a method of identification. Though there are thousands of Xanders, how many are on the IV forums and how many have a red and white biplane as an avatar? On these forums, someone could say XANdr and there'd be no mistaking who he meant. Does the case tell us something about a person's personality? Does it have any significance at all other than for identification? Is it truly a symbol of individuality? Personally, I think a username is too trivial to worry about.

Anyway, is the 3DSMAX->Darwinia tool a plugin, or is it just a utility that converts 3DSMAX files to the Darwinia format? If the latter, then Gmax should work fine.

steve
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:59 pm

wwarnick wrote:Anyway, is the 3DSMAX->Darwinia tool a plugin, or is it just a utility that converts 3DSMAX files to the Darwinia format? If the latter, then Gmax should work fine.

It is a plugin for 3DSM 5. It will only work with 3DSM 5.

xander
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Hey! My real name is Steve. But I give people the choice to call me Stephen as well, if it suits them. Call me Stevie, though, and I punch them ;) The thing about being called Stephen is that nearly everyone in the world tends to write "Steven" which is utterly incorrect, and very, very annoying for me. I am not called Steven. I am called Stephen, and I consider it distinct, even though it sounds precisely the same as Steven. It similarly annoys me when I correct somebody and they say "Oh, I though Steven was the proper spelling." I've just told you it's Stephen. It's my name. So if my forum username was Stephen, and people still called me Steven (strangely enough, even people who've only ever seen my name in writing can still get it wrong), what then?

I understand this is a totally different beast to the tricky nature of capitalisation - but as most people drop the capitalisation of the word "I" and its derivatives when writing on the Internet, I think it would be safe to say that it's kind of a moot point.

If xander asks you not to misspell his name, for all that you bitch about it, why not just be a dear and oblige him? You may not give a shit, but he clearly does. I tend not to change people's names when I type them, as they tend to be quite attached to them, and I don't like to piss people off for no reason.

A lot of people call me Shiny or Gerbil (or even ShinyGerbil) and I don't really mind, but if I did then I'd say so and expect them to use the correct spelling in future. If they didn't oblige, I'd probably just ignore them, as they're clearly just being deliberately antagonistic.

--

As for the tool, I believe it is a plugin, although I do remember some people claiming to offer conversion services for thse without 3DSMax, and I think there may even have been a browser-based editor for Darwinia's .shp files somewhere, but I don't remember where.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:26 pm

xander wrote:It is a plugin for 3DSM 5. It will only work with 3DSM 5.

At least I tried.

shinygerbil wrote:If xander asks you not to misspell his name, for all that you bitch about it, why not just be a dear and oblige him? You may not give a shit, but he clearly does. I tend not to change people's names when I type them, as they tend to be quite attached to them, and I don't like to piss people off for no reason.

I agree. No matter how we feel about it, if someone wants their name typed a certain way, there's no reason not to respect them. xander it is.

wwarnick

Return to “Introversion Lounge”