GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:35 am

NeoThermic wrote:Anyway, back on topic. This is the year of the Anaheim Ducks. First in their division, and currently winning their quaterfinals series 1 - 0 with a game tonight. If I were a betting person, this would be my choice :)

NeoThermic

Anaheim is doing well, but i'd put my money on Nashville.

DueAccident wrote:I'm not even entirely sure what sport they appear to have won.

Also I think Rugby has got to be one of the most demanding sports, as it is American football practically, but without protection.
And football or soccer as you call it, is the king of sports :P Definatley the most popular sport in the UK, if not in Europe. Then I'd guess Rugby. Both good sports, though I prefer football as there isn't a set rhythm like there is to Rugby, as it tends to do the same thing until there is a mistake.
I find football to be faster and more spectacular, but eh, just my opinion. :wink:

Actually i think football (or soccer) is the most popular sport in the world, so there must be something about it that captivates people, just not for me. As for fast and spectacular, in my opinion nothing beats hockey.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:01 am

NeoThermic wrote:

Hmm. Islanders fan?

Anyway, back on topic. This is the year of the Anaheim Ducks. First in their division, and currently winning their quaterfinals series 1 - 0 with a game tonight. If I were a betting person, this would be my choice :)

NeoThermic

I've never adopted any of the New York teams (except the Yankees). I grew up in Nashville, TN so I'm a Predators and Titans fan. My school actually had a partnership with the arena where the Preds play so I could get free or really cheap tickets fairly regularly for a couple years there. I'm hoping they are going to make me proud this year.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:33 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:(except the Yankees)

You, sir, have just lost four respect points. Yankees... blargh!

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:45 pm

wwarnick wrote:Actually, skydiving is the fastest.

And in my opinion the most fun.

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:I've never adopted any of the New York teams (except the Yankees).

Pffff... Arizona kicked their butts in World Series 2001. The Yankees are nothing but a bunch of over paid prima donnas.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:53 pm

I always have been, and always shall be, and Oakland A's fan. We even had tickets for game 4 of the 1989 World Series. Unfortunately, it was delayed due to earthquake, and we had to get home to Tempe before it was actually played. I still have the tickets somewhere, probably within one of many boxes of baseball cards, which are probably at my parents house somewhere.

xander
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:19 pm

xander wrote:I always have been, and always shall be, and Oakland A's fan. We even had tickets for game 4 of the 1989 World Series. Unfortunately, it was delayed due to earthquake, and we had to get home to Tempe before it was actually played. I still have the tickets somewhere, probably within one of many boxes of baseball cards, which are probably at my parents house somewhere.

xander

Haha, the A's are actually my other team. I like the Yankees for historic reasons (there is a lot of baseball history surrounding that team). I was an A's fan as a kid though. I remember the days of Rickey Henderson (who was also a Yankee for a few years between stints with the A's). The A's also had David (Dave) Stewart, which is also my name. I thought that was neat. Ahh. . . the good old days. Since the strike however I haven't followed baseball any thing like the way I did as a kid.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:26 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Haha, the A's are actually my other team. I like the Yankees for historic reasons (there is a lot of baseball history surrounding that team). I was an A's fan as a kid though. I remember the days of Rickey Henderson (who was also a Yankee for a few years between stints with the A's). The A's also had David (Dave) Stewart, which is also my name. I thought that was neat. Ahh. . . the good old days. Since the strike however I haven't followed baseball any thing like the way I did as a kid.

Okay, you have earned back three of the four respect points that you lost.

As to the actual content of what you said, those are the days that I remember most fondly. Like you, I stopped paying as much attention after the strike, though I have found myself watching more baseball in the last couple of years. As a kid, I thought it was cool that Ricky Henderson and I shared a last name. :)

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:46 pm

I'm a fan of the Diamond Backs (rooting for the hometown team), but I also back the Indians. Lately I've also been getting into Minor League stuff, rooting for the Mobile Bay Bears, and the Visalia Oaks.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:01 pm

Feud wrote:I'm a fan of the Diamond Backs (rooting for the hometown team), but I also back the Indians. Lately I've also been getting into Minor League stuff, rooting for the Mobile Bay Bears, and the Visalia Oaks.

I grew up in Tempe, but we left before the expansion that created the D-Backs. As long as they are not playing the A's, they have a special place in my heart, as I came from that part of the country, but I don't really have any strong feelings one way or the other. On the other hand, if we a moving on to the minor leagues, I went to a ton of Firebirds games in the late 80s. I even have an autographed Willie Mays ball from an evening when he was signing after such a game. Good times.

xander
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:02 pm

I have always been and always will be a Braves fan.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:26 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I have always been and always will be a Braves fan.

My mom's side of the family is from Atlanta, so they are die hard Braves fans, which causes some contention when Arizona plays them (mainly between my dad and my grandma). It can get pretty funny to watch them argue over it.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:33 pm

Feud wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:I have always been and always will be a Braves fan.

My mom's side of the family is from Atlanta, so they are die hard Braves fans, which causes some contention when Arizona plays them (mainly between my dad and my grandma). It can get pretty funny to watch them argue over it.

I was born and raised in Texas. Just recently moved here for my wifes family.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:07 am

can we talk about hockey again
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:17 am

Trident wrote:can we talk about hockey again

No. Be quiet. ;)

If you want to talk about hockey, you could try to steer the conversation back on topic by actually posting something pertinent, rather than just saying, "Hey, you guys! Talk about what I want to talk about!"

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:09 am

Trident wrote:can we talk about hockey again

A while ago you posted this (I have edited out the sentences that do not apply to my point):

Trident wrote:If posting this topic has proved to me one thing, it is how devoid this community is of hockey fans, sports fans, and Canadians...

The moral of the story is, you all need to get out more. There is some worderfull experiences to be had in that big scary place called 'the outdoors'.

We are demonstrating that this community has sports fans who have not only seen "the outdoors", but who get out fairly often. Just because we all aren't chest beating hockey fans doesn't mean we don't like sports, nor does it mean that we hide in our parent's basement all day, yearning to one day glimpse the fabled glow of natural sunlight.

You started a sports based thread, then insulted those who disagreed with your sports opinions. Like xander said, if you want it back on topic, it's up to you to bring it there.
Last edited by Feud on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”