GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:34 am

Right, back on track. What were we talking about again? Gerbils?
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:46 am

Anyhooo... it's getting late and as usual this thread has gone way off topic so i might choose to ignore it until after tomorrow night when the VANCOUVER CANUCKS PLAY THE DALLAS STARS IN GAME TWO OF THE STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS!!!!!
i'll keep you posted as i'm sure your all just dying to know who wins
GO CANUCKS GO!!
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:55 am

So Trident, you want to cut and paste my post to fit your little paradigm do you? Well two can play that game... :twisted:

Trident wrote:whaaaaat?? bwahahahahahahahahahaaahahaaaaaaa....ah.aha..ah...ok, ok, ok, ....pst'-hahahahahaha...

ok,ok, now, i think the reason for the lack of minority players is just that minority players is just not all that popular in areas like Canada, Russia, Sweeden. In fact much my team is made up Sweede's, but nobody cares. it's where your from or what you look like. believe me racism is a issue, expecially in Canada.
So, the NHL is racist.

By the way i havn't heard of Beckham either, boy did i pick the wrong sports.

Taken completely from your post (Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:57 pm). I very distinctly remember saying I did not want to see men prancing about in funny pants on ice skates. The minute baseball begins using ice skates is will be the minute I stop watching. :D

The moral of the story is, don't cut and paste my stuff to say something different then what I intended, and I won't do the same to you. That being said, I am glad I tossed in the part about ice skates, otherwise you would have had me cornered. :D
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:04 am

that was only cut no pastie pastie.

Baseball on iceskates....hmmmm....now that would be something to see, i better get George Steinbrenner, and Don Cherry on the line.

and by the way i'm still caublasian :wink:
Last edited by Trident on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:14 am

Trident wrote:Baseball on iceskates....hmmmm....now that would be something to see, i better get George Steinbrenner, and Don Cherry on the line.

and by the way i'm still caublasian :wink:

Now that I think about it, it would make sliding into the bases MUCH more interesting!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:15 pm

Trident wrote:your telling me this can run 100m in 10 seconds?

looks like a damn good athlete to me :P

No I am not. Like I explained at great length in my post different athletes have different skills. There is no one single skill that one must have to be considered an athlete. A lineman in American Football is a strength athlete for the most part. Their skill is being able to keep other massive guys from getting past them or in being able to get past other massive guys if they are on offense. I guarantee you that if you put virtually any NHL player on the line at an NFL game they would get crushed in short order (and I won't want to see any of the linemen on skates). These guys are completely different athletes to runners. The runners in the NFL are the running backs and wide receivers (and some of the defensive positions as well). A lot of NFL players were track stars before they moved to football.

Trident wrote:
Stewsburntmonkey wrote:That's funny because hockey is really just soccer on ice where you use sticks instead of feet.

Trident wrote:that was wrong in so many ways.

How? The games are almost identical as far as basic concept and rules.

As for the roughness of respective sports, I don't think one sport being rougher than another is any way to judge anything. I don't know that brutality has any value. That said the number of injuries in a typical NFL games is significantly higher that that of an NHL game.
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:33 pm

Yeah, I'll admit that there different disciplines and some can do things that others can't. I guess if all you have to do is stand there and lean forward, you'd want to be a big fat guy. Up until two years ago the rules of hockey where a little different, once allowing much more body checking it was the job of the Enforcer [url]=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enforcer_(hockey)[/url] or 'goon' to basically go out there and smash players to the ground. Now the rules have drastically changed making the game more about speed and puck-handeling, eliminating the need for the enforcer.
What I was really saying was that hockey players train the hardest, because they play the hardest game. There for making them the most in shape athletes in the world. I on't care what anybody says there is no game on the planet that is as fast paced or intense as hockey
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:49 pm

Trident wrote:Yeah, I'll admit that there different disciplines and some can do things that others can't. I guess if all you have to do is stand there and lean forward, you'd want to be a big fat guy.

Clearly you are clueless about American football. . .

Trident wrote:Up until two years ago the rules of hockey where a little different, once allowing much more body checking it was the job of the Enforcer [url]=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enforcer_(hockey)[/url] or 'goon' to basically go out there and smash players to the ground. Now the rules have drastically changed making the game more about speed and puck-handeling, eliminating the need for the enforcer.
What I was really saying was that hockey players train the hardest, because they play the hardest game. There for making them the most in shape athletes in the world. I on't care what anybody says there is no game on the planet that is as fast paced or intense as hockey

That is highly debatable. I would challenge you to provide any evidence to support that. Personally I think boxing is much more demanding and challenging than hockey. Hurling and Jai-Alai are both much faster paced than hockey.
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:06 pm

Ah.. but bare knuckel boxing is pratically a part of hockey
JUST_WATCH

and the difference between boxers and hockey players is that boxers only actually have to compete every few months, hockey players do it every other day.
::EDIT::
Yes Jai-Alai has the fastest traveling projectile of any sport, but thats the ball not the player. Another fact is that speed skating is the fastest a human can travel under his own power.

::EDIT::
hockey_training and these aren't even the pros.
another note is that when interviews are given to players AFTER the game they are usually riding a exercise bike.
Last edited by Trident on Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:21 pm

Trident wrote:and the difference between boxers and hockey players is that boxers only actually have to compete every few months, hockey players do it ever other day.

But they train constantly. There is no real off season in boxing. I just mention boxing because it is generally considered the most demanding physical sport.

Trident wrote:Yes Jai-Alai has the fastest traveling projectile of any sport, but thats the ball not the player. Another fact is that speed skating is the fastest a human can travel under his own power.

Not really, skiers can achieve much higher speeds than any skater (though admittedly gravity is the dominant factor here). Sprinters can generally move faster than hockey players (although speed skaters can be significantly faster). Cyclists also move much faster than any skater. Cyclist are generally considered to be the fastest athletes who rely solely on their own power.
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:29 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Not really, skiers can achieve much higher speeds than any skater (though admittedly gravity is the dominant factor here). Sprinters can generally move faster than hockey players (although speed skaters can be significantly faster). Cyclists also move much faster than any skater. Cyclist are generally considered to be the fastest athletes who rely solely on their own power.

You said it,gravity. Cyclists fall into a different category as theyrely on massive gears to magnify the amount of force they input into the machine, machines don't count.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:32 pm

Trident wrote:eyrely on massive gears to magnify the amount of force they input into the machine, machines don't count.
Did you ever do physics? It doesn't quite work like that, but there's no denying it's an awful lot more efficient than anything like running.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:42 pm

Trident wrote:You said it,gravity. Cyclists fall into a different category as theyrely on massive gears to magnify the amount of force they input into the machine, machines don't count.

Skaters rely on skates to provide a largely friction free surface. That is a mechanical advantage just like gears on a bike are.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:23 pm

/me hands Trident a shovel.

Just keep on digging...

xander
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:29 pm

"Speed Skating, the fastest a human can travel under there own power" to quote the Guiness Book of World Records.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”