Becoming a games programmer

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5
Posts: 11553
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:44 pm
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed May 02, 2007 3:59 am

xander wrote: All computer languages are basically the same, it is just a matter of placing the semi-colons in the right place, figuring out oddities with branching and looping structures, and figuring out the idiosyncrasies of the language that you are working in.


You should try Lisp sometime. . . It might change your mind about that.

I do agree that once you know the basics of programming in a procedural language you should be able to quickly pickup any other procedural language.

Trust wrote:If you're going to learn Spanish, just to speak, and you think you might use English later, why not just learn English?


Because Spanish is sexy. ;)
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Wed May 02, 2007 5:31 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:
xander wrote: All computer languages are basically the same, it is just a matter of placing the semi-colons in the right place, figuring out oddities with branching and looping structures, and figuring out the idiosyncrasies of the language that you are working in.


You should try Lisp sometime. . . It might change your mind about that.

RPL is in the Lisp family of languages. While Lisp and RPL are quite different, there are enough similarities that, on the one or two occasions that I have dabbled with Lisp, it didn't seem too bad. That being said, I'm not sorry that I don't have to deal with Lisp ever again.

xander
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5
Posts: 11553
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:44 pm
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed May 02, 2007 5:35 am

Lisp can be programmed in a more procedural manner which isn't so foreign. However if you use it exclusively in its functional form it is quite a different animal. I actually enjoy it, but it's not well suited for much of the work I generally do, so I don't use it often.
User avatar
martin
level5
level5
Posts: 3210
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby martin » Wed May 02, 2007 8:43 am

wwarnick wrote:
martin wrote:Also, Tom's using C#, and no library - all physics functions were written by him from scratch.

I meant graphics library. DirectX, OpenGL, XNA?

wwarnick


oh yeah, graphics library is XNA, however I'm currently working on an XNA graphics engine to work with his physics engine.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
User avatar
wwarnick
level5
level5
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: Rexburg, ID

Postby wwarnick » Thu May 03, 2007 4:02 am

I'm glad it was only a misunderstanding. I apologize, I was more defensive than I should have been. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but the people discussing "easier" languages and libraries were for the most part "learning", just like me, which is why I thought this following statement was aimed at us:
xander wrote:I am beginning to suspect that many of the "developers" here are really quite self centered.

I was under the impression that anyone on this forum who actually is a real developer who has actually completed and published a game was beyond the scope of our discussion, only piping in to give advice. Thus, I'm confused who the target of that statement was. However, you say it wasn't aimed at me, and I thank you for that.
Again, I think I overreacted and I apologize.

wwarnick

Return to “Introversion Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests