Becoming a games programmer

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:37 pm

xander wrote:C# is part of .NET, isn't it?

Yes. Strictly .NET.
xander wrote:You may not care about those OSes, but I have to say that one of the things that I really like about IV is that they serve those markets, as well. As far as I am concerned, as a Mac user, .NET and everything it contains is entirely useless. C++ and OpenGL are the way to go.

Note, I mentioned compatibility as a problem. However, IV is a full-fledged business now with employees and all. Thus, porting to other os's is a possibility. For me (and others), with only one to a few people total finding time between job and school to work on the game, one os is probably all we can handle anyway for the time being.
shinygerbil wrote:I dabbled with C# and it really is a doddle. It's like child's play when compared to C++!

Obviously, dabbled is all you've done. C# is powerful. It's incompatible at the moment (who knows when the Mac and Linux frameworks will be released, if ever), and if you compared the languages bit by bit, C++ will have an edge, but C# is up there. It is not childsplay.
Stewsburntmonkey wrote:There are some attempts to bring C# and .NET to non-Windows platforms, but I think they are in the same realm as Wine and attempts to bring DirectX to non-Windows platforms.

The idea is that Mac and Linux .NET Frameworks would be created so that the software would be directly supported, but no one knows when or if that will even happen. If it does, I'd imagine xna and managed dx may be ported as well since they are both dependent on the .NET framework. Then again, for all I know, managed dx and xna are wrappers for native dx, in which case I'd be wrong.

wwarnick
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:59 pm

niksonpsi wrote:I've tried XNA (Beta)

It's not beta anymore.
niksonpsi wrote:do I really need to download C# Express to use it? Because I have Vstudio 2005 and XNA needs c# 2005 xpress...

Yes because xna studio professional(?) hasn't yet been released. Only express is available at the moment. I feel for you because I have VS '05 Pro. Express feels like a step down. However, professional will be released in due time. Patience, grasshopper.

wwarnick
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:03 pm

I tawt I saw a fanboi! I did! I did! I did saw a fanboi!

xander
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:18 pm

Fanbois forever!

wwarnick
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:53 am

There's a reason I pronounce 'C#' to rhyme with 'simplified, de facto proprietary rehash'.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:41 am

KingAl wrote:There's a reason I pronounce 'C#' to rhyme with 'simplified, de facto proprietary rehash'.

Since when does 'sharp' rhyme with 'rehash' :/
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:46 am

I've always pronounced it C-Hash, knowing full well that I'm wrong.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:52 am

Darksun wrote:
KingAl wrote:There's a reason I pronounce 'C#' to rhyme with 'simplified, de facto proprietary rehash'.

That's the (admittedly, bad) joke. I pronounce it C-hash in a derogatory capacity.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:31 pm

Darksun wrote:

FAIL
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:38 pm

getting *slightly* off topic there, anyway, I thought some of you may be interested to see the very earliest alpha version of the physics engine my friend is programming in C#, he's doing physics and I'm doing graphics - so there may be a graphics demo soon :D
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:34 pm

*BUMP*

so, has anyone watched the video (martindevans.googlepages.com and the link is in the latest entry)? what do you think??
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:46 pm

martin wrote:what do you think??

I think you're an idiot for using grey text on a generally white background. Would have made sense for the game window to be bigger. Also, how are the objects stopping if friction isn't being modelled?
Last edited by Montyphy on Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:24 pm

I don't think there's any need for namecalling.
In reality there would be no friction, but as its a physics simulation, you can pretend there is, which is exactly what he did. For a small demonstration, this setup is just fine.
I'm curious, martin, what language and library are you using?

wwarnick
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:36 pm

wwarnick wrote:In reality there would be no friction, but as its a physics simulation, you can pretend there is, which is exactly what he did.

I think you misunderstand. In martin's blog he said friction and rotation isn't modeled. If friction isn't being modeled why do the objects decelerate?

wwarnick wrote:I'm curious, martin, what language and library is Tom using?

fix'd

KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue May 01, 2007 3:17 am

Montyphy wrote:
wwarnick wrote:In reality there would be no friction, but as its a physics simulation, you can pretend there is, which is exactly what he did.

I think you misunderstand. In martin's blog he said friction and rotation isn't modeled. If friction isn't being modeled why do the objects decelerate?

There's no external motive power, of course. Don't you know your Aristotelian dynamics? ;)

Return to “Introversion Lounge”