C&C3 vs Supreme Commander

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:25 pm

Dirty Harry Potter and Icepick wrote:the factions in SupCom are very alike, which was a let-down for me

I like that part. You really know each other's sides, which makes for equal battles. Some faction specialties are much too large in CnC (don't ask me for examples please, I just know there was something nagging me).

And the Tech4 units are the extremes of different. It will take ages to build them, but once you have one, you're the man! And taking down such a unit really gives me an adrenaline rush! (I'm talking about the Aeon UFO and the Cybran Spiderbot. I forgot the UEF special unit, sorry.)

Dirty Harry Potter and Icepick wrote:lack of micromanagement

This is the large difference in RTS style of the two games. In CnC, you can win a battle with a single unit. In SC, it is all about large scale (quoth the box "battles on galactic scale"). It's just what you prefer. And if you are a champ at µmanagement, I can see why you don't like SC.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:16 pm

aye, they're different, I actually meant to put "" around 'lack', as it's not lacking as much as it is simply not really present. that is, it's not part of the game's design. I like SupCom, I've just yet to actually have games of it with some mates.

If you by C&C mean C&C Generals: Zero Hour, then YES, that was just downright silly.. C&C3 factions seems pretty similar, but still with a seperate flavour, though, I've yet to see the Scrin, but tbh, I can't see them being much different, except they might have some kind of alternative to infantry, I dunno.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:31 pm

I was mainly aiming at Generals, yes, because it's the most recent CnC game (although it's arguable whether it is a true CnC) and I expect CnC3 to look like it. I haven't played the demo of CnC3, I just can't afford to spend that bandwidth now, but I have seen people playing it. But I can't judge if the units are the same or different that way, so I didn't mean to talk about that. Whether the faction difference was a good idea, is a whole new discussion, so let's just leave it at this.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Scrin (were they included in the demo?). I think they're about the same as GDI and NOD units, but the designs are radically different. I hope there's not too much sci-fi weaponry. Don't say SC has sci-fi, that universe is set in the 38th century. CnC3 is set on a destroyed planet.

And by the way, you're not the only one about playing SC: I have played through the tutorials and managed to get the hang of it a little, but none of my friend have the money to buy it, even though they really want it, and CPU games tend to be of a level too high for me to be able to focus.

One of my friends (who actually introduced me to SC) REALLY wants it. And the day I came to school and showed the box to him... he was OUTRAGEOUS. You should have been there, it was awesome!

I have the Cybran faction pack, by the way. I hoped to buy the Aeon pack, but it was sold out :(. Never mind, Cybrans are the dark side: it's fun to play the bad guys :P

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
faemir
level1
level1

Postby faemir » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:09 pm

after playing both briefly, I can't really say which i prefer, but since as supreme commander is successor to TA, and C&C3 successor to the previous C&C games... well def. supcom get my vote xD. starcraft is close behind ^^
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:24 pm

faemir wrote:after playing both briefly, I can't really say which i prefer, but since as supreme commander is successor to TA, and C&C3 successor to the previous C&C games... well def. supcom get my vote xD. starcraft is close ahead ^^

fix'd
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:32 pm

As you can read on my site, I bought CnC3 in Toronto (the Kane Edition, which I yet have to see in Holland) and I really like it. It really plays like the good old CnC games (instead of the crappy Generals interface) and the requirements are actually right. Supreme Commander's box is a little bit misleading: the Recommended settings are actually more like the minimum. But still, Supreme Commander wins. I'm sorry Joe, but epic battles beat Kane (although it's VERY close)!

Jelco

- Douglas Adams

Return to “Introversion Lounge”