Your favourite gaming genre

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What is your favourite gaming genre?

Shooter
7%
Arcade
2%
RPG
11%
Fighting
No votes
Strategy
52%
Simulation
2%
Godgames
2%
Sports
No votes
Combination
15%
Special, please specify
9%

Total votes: 46
jelco
level5
level5

Your favourite gaming genre

Postby jelco » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:27 pm

Jelco's Weekly Poll

Previous polls

- Your Operating System
- Your favourite genre
- Your Media Player
- Your Webbrowser

What is your favourite gaming genre?

I've already done a poll on music genres, so I thought it was time to do the same with gaming genres. The good thing about this is there are not that many subgenres, so these options SHOULD cover all. Games of which the genre is difficult to say (like Darwinia, which is a combination of many) have their own option, to avoid confusion.

Read this before posting.
- Shooter means every possible shooter genre, including shoot-em-ups, tactical shooters and FPS games (no, FPS isn't the same as shooter).
- Action/Adventure is too general, hence it's not included. Most A/A games are combinations of genres.
- Arcade generally covers everything without a proper storyline, like pinball games. If you've ever played games like Time Crisis, you might think that's arcade (because they're located in arcade halls). Those games are not. They're shoot-em-ups with a very thin plot (most are, actually).
- Platform games are included with arcade for now. The same counts for side-scrollers and puzzle games.
- Fighting covers games like Tekken. Generally it's games with fighting as the only goal.
- Strategy means every type of strategy. This includes RTS, tactical strategy, turn-based strategy (TBS) and RTT.
- Simulation covers games in which moving stuff is simulated, like trainsims, flightsims and spacesims.
- Godgames are games in which the goal for once is to build up stuff', not to destroy it. Notable examples are Tycoon games, Simcity and The Sims.

I've named the 'Other...' option 'Special...' in this case, because these are genres which can apply to almost any game of today.

The following games can cause confusion, so I've indexed them:
- GTA is generally called action. Since this is too general in my opinion, you'll have to choose something else. A combination of shooter and fighting puts it well. Please don't choose shooter in this case. Fighting puts it pretty well.
- Worms is difficult. It's a turn-based tactical shoot-em-up. In this case, both strategy and arcade are good choices. Shooter is not.

And to give two examples of the special options:
- Uplink qualifies as a special game. It's a combination of strategy, puzzle, simulation and (this will surprise most of you, I think) godgame. This is quite unusual, so combination wouldn't quite put it.
- Darwinia is an obvious combination game. Puzzle, RTS and godgame are the main genres.

Defcon is also difficult to put, because there's so much tactical thinking in it. But strategy will do.

Please DON'T say one of your favourite genres should be in there. I've tried my best on selecting popular genres, and I have to cope with a limited amount of allowed options. Vote, give your story, discuss, whatever, but saying the polls useless isn't going to help. I can't edit options after I've posted, and even if I could, I wouldn't. Keep everyone happy, including me.

My Post

Strategy, obviously. I love Darwinia and Defcon, I'm a huge fan of the CnC series, have played myself nuts on Warhammer 40k and am currently obsessed with Supreme Commander. I wonder if CnC3 will be as good as SC...
Other games I like include Worms and The Movies (with Stunts & Effects expansion). And although I generally don't like shooters (because the storylines are crap) I am unhealthily obsessed with F.E.A.R.. If you couldn't even stand The Ring (which was the main source of inspiration), don't even play the demo.
And the people out here who think Doom 3 is scary - you have seen nothing. Someone on GameSpot put it this way: Doom 3 is as scary as Hello Kitty's Island Adventure. You should go back to kindergarten if that's scary to you.

Rainbow 6 is also good, by the way, although Lockdown was disappointing. Vegas rules!

EDIT: A list of my main favourite games:
- Civilization IV
- Command & Conquer Series
- Darwinia
- Defcon
- F.E.A.R. (incl Extraction Point)
- Kingdom Hearts (II) <-- BEST RPG EVER
- The Movies (incl Stunts & Effects)
- Rainbow Six: Raven Shield and Vegas
- Supreme Commander
- Worms series (particularly FUS and 4)

The funny thing about Rainbow Six: Raven Shield it was sometimes referred to as Rainbow 6 3. That's quite confusing...
And Kingdom Hearts is the reason I'm really sorry I don't have a PS2 (PS3 will be released March 23rd over here).

Jelco
Last edited by jelco on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:32 pm

I've chosen Arcade, bacause that tends to be the type of game I play; I don't really have time for anything longer or more involving that Wii Sports. ;P
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:35 pm

There actually is a Sports option. Although you're right, Wii Sports is special :D

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:43 pm

Wii Sports happens to be a sports-oriented example that I picked. Mostly I play platformers and random games I find on the internet, along with a mix of shmups and puzzlers.

Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:44 pm

Can you explain how Uplink can be classified as a Godgame? o.O

Anyway, I don't have a 'favourite' genre, it all depends on mood and circumstance.

Pissed/Stoned with mates and a console - nothing beats a bit of DoA or another fighting game, but Halo can be fun aswell.

LAN parties, first person shooters are fun. Something like QIII or UT, pure gibbage without a massive amount of tactics

Wasting away your life - MMORPGs. I used to play CoH, loved it, but I've moved on for various reasons.

Nostalgia - Some 8 bit games, arcade, platform, whatever. Sometimes you want to play this

I could go on and on, I like online tactical shooters ranging from SWAT to TF/TFC, I love Godgames, I was close to chosing this as my favourite genre, but often I can't be bothered putting the effort into these. I like GTA. I like Worms. I like random quick games of Defcon. I like online flash games.

In short, I like almost all genres, I really can't think of an exception
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:46 pm

TFC ruled! Still play it, once in a blue moon, but there's practically nothing but bots now.

Oh, and Soul Calibur II whoops DoA's ass.

Captin Fitz
level1
level1

Postby Captin Fitz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:47 pm

I prefer strategy games because I find that they generaly offer a deeper and more rewarding game-play experience.
I'd like to point out that when I say staregey I am talking about the proper staregy games like the Total War, Europa Universilis and Civillisation series; most other strategy games decend into tank rushes or the used of super-powered heroes (though i do have a soft spot for the Battle for Middle-earth games. I'm a huge Tolkien fan ;-] )
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:49 pm

shinygerbil wrote:TFC ruled! Still play it, once in a blue moon, but there's practically nothing but bots now.

Yeah, that's the thing, it's really hard to find a good server. I wish you could find out if the server was full of bots BEFORE joining.

TF2 is coming out soon though - it looks like they've not drastically changed the gameplay from TFC. This is a good thing.
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:52 pm

Missing option: Platformer.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:57 pm

Darksun wrote:Can you explain how Uplink can be classified as a Godgame? o.O

Uplink is all about cracking stuff. The last missions (if you choose to follow the storyline) are all about a well set up plan (both ARC and Arunmor). And those storylines are all about manipulation. As an ARC player, you have to infect a lot (like bending stuff to your will), where the Arunmor missions are all about 'healing' stuff (which can be classified as straightening things out). It's hard to explain. I'll try to explain it with Wikipedia's help.

Wikipedia wrote:Though there is no formal definition, God games are said to be generally large-scale strategic fantastic simulations, sometimes of entire worlds and populations, that cast you in the position of an entity with divine or supernatural powers. God games are characterized by that:

- Actions taken by the player tend to be optional interventions into the system of the game world, for instance in the form of miracles or invoking calamities, rather than being a necessity for its continual progression.
- The game world is relatively self-sustaining and persistent.
- As a God, the player can affect the world and influence his subjects but not directly control them: i.e. there is a minimum of "click-select-order" gameplay, unlike other strategy games.

All of this applies to Uplink. It's difficult to see Uplink as a godgame because you actually never see the world you're manipulating, and you're by far not the only influence.

I hope this explains at least something. But it's important to realise that Uplink is a game which merges different genres. That means multiple genres are partially used.

estel wrote:Missing option: Platformer.

You obviously haven't read my first post.

Some things I clearly wrote:- Platform games are included with arcade for now. The same counts for side-scrollers and puzzle games.

Please DON'T say one of your favourite genres should be in there. I've tried my best on selecting popular genres, and I have to cope with a limited amount of allowed options. Vote, give your story, discuss, whatever, but saying the polls useless isn't going to help. I can't edit options after I've posted, and even if I could, I wouldn't. Keep everyone happy, including me.

EDIT: Thanks for your support, shinygerbil. I'm happy at least someone read it.

Jelco
Last edited by jelco on Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- Douglas Adams
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Re: Your favourite gaming genre

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:57 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Read this before posting.
- Platform games are included with arcade for now. The same counts for side-scrollers and puzzle games.

estel wrote:Missing option: Platformer.

*cough*
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:02 pm

Hey, I did read your post. I just... didn't see that bit :P
It's also a poll stereotype to "Missing option" something, obviously misplaced here.
Regardless, I wasn't having a go at you or your poll, because platformers aren't my favourite genre; though lumping it with "Games without a proper storyline" seems a tad harsh on that genre ;).
I voted strategy, even though, like Darksun, I don't really have a favourite. Strategy just seems big and vague enough for my to luff it, even when most of my time is spent on the cunningly named shooters :)
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:12 pm

estel wrote:though lumping [platformers] with "Games without a proper storyline" seems a tad harsh on that genre ;).

Although I can't quickly come up with a platform game that has a good storyline, I didn't mean that. I have to cope with a lack of possible options, and platformers/side-scrollers/puzzle games just fit quite good with arcade. Games without a proper storyline was my definition for arcade games.

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:20 pm

I think I might vote for strategy, because although my favourite games vary hugely in style, they seem to bare some relation to strategy.

Worms Armageddon may well rate as my favourite game of all time (so far), since I've been a fan of worms since before it came out, and I think it's by far the best in the series and I still play it fairly regularily.

Red Orchestra's probably my current secon favourite, an FPS with a focus on teamplay and, I think most people would say, strategy. That combined with the lack of crosshairs and no 3rd person view for vehicles makes this one of the best FPSs I've played, until RO2 (hopefully) comes out with all the features missing from RO.

Defcon's currently my third favourite game at the moment, I love the strategy and the mood.

And Transport Tycoon (various versions, currently I'm enjoying OpenTTD) is another of my lasting favourites, although I generally only play it for bursts at a time.

Oh, and do Monopoly and Risk count? :D
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:21 pm

Red Orchestra is a good game, yes.

BTW, Risk and Monopoly would fit into arcade. :D

Jelco

- Douglas Adams

Return to “Introversion Lounge”