Doesn't lack of correct grammar bother you?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Testrie
level3
level3

Doesn't lack of correct grammar bother you?

Postby Testrie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:32 am

Omg have u evr seen how ppl can have such bad grammer online even in other forums I get annoyed at them and i am glad that introversion forums is one of those pllaces where good grammer and spelling is actually recommended don't you think? what do u ppl do when ur on different forums and someone just has terrible grammer and spelling?
I tend to want to quote them, editing the quote so that its correct grammar and putting my corrections in bold and commenting on how good their grammar is in the body of the post along /w wutevar I wanted 2 say in the post so what do you do when ur on othr forums?

gah. That hurt a lot just to type a post like that. Let's hope I'll never have to do that again...

elyea
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:55 am

Well... how insightful.
MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:34 am

Y'know, I write for a living.

I'm one of those people who doesn't find it horrible or insulting or rude to have a mistake corrected, and though I'm sensitive to the feelings of others, I don't generally stop myself from handing out quick corrections for common mistakes.

The only thing I truly find sillier than getting over-the-top offended or defensive when someone corrects some typo or outright mistake, or just plain bad spelling and grammar, is being offended or bothered by someone else's bad typing or grammar.

Seriously.

(of course, I have to admitt that when someone does get snippy about grammar -either about it being formally correct or about the freedom to communicate worse than a trained monkey- I do tend to enjoy it. From a purely entertained-by-irony point of view. :twisted: )
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:40 am

MoonHill wrote:...I have to admitt that...

ZOMG he cant sppel!

I object to people misspelling things and using bad grammar because it demonstrates self-absorption and laziness. If they expect people to take them seriously, then they have to have the consideration to actually make what they say understandable.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:03 am

I try not to abbreiviate you as U that gives you away as under 20. Usually anyway. OMG and lol and wtf are okay because they are saying a whole phrase in 3 letters.
Testrie
level3
level3

Postby Testrie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:15 am

MoonHill wrote:Y'know, I write for a living....l

I didn't say anything about getting bothered by bad grammar...
well, I do get annoyed sometimes. but only if is something like
omg i can't figure this out i got the game and now it crashes wtf i am pissed off and i think that introversion is trying to steal my money can someone help me?
(just an example. no one ever said this... hopefully)

I even saw someone append "what is beta" to the end of a sentence on a forum about a game that was in the beta testing stage. It was screaming "runonrunonrunon"... I had to say something.

elyea
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:01 pm

All bad grammar achieves is hard to read text.

Therefore, only the people whom type badly loose out, as we then fail to bother to listen.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:21 pm

RabidZombie wrote:All bad grammar achieves is hard to read text.

Therefore, only the people whom type badly loose out, as we then fail to bother to listen.

Quite true. I know when I see absolute rubbish typed I automatically either ignore it completely, or assume (be it correctly or incorrectly) that the author is a flaming idiot.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:29 pm

I'm not too fussed over spelling to be frank, but only because there are certain words I couldn't spell to save my life. Grammar is important though, it's impossible to read posts without it (or a good enough attempt at it).

Oh and Tomatoe's piss me off no end.
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:46 pm

At high school, my English teacher would rant for hours about how Americans spelt colour, humour or armour without the 'u'. Also, he would rant on about the spelling of words like realise. If you spelt is with a 'z' instead of the 's' he would almost bring out the cane. This a great way to get out of doing any classwork, whilst he ranted and ranted. Personally I don't care ;)
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:05 pm

I like proper grammar and spelling, though I'm really not picky if other people use it or not, it just makes it easier to read if they use some.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:44 pm

desktopsimmer wrote:At high school, my English teacher would rant for hours about how Americans spelt colour, humour or armour without the 'u'. Also, he would rant on about the spelling of words like realise. If you spelt is with a 'z' instead of the 's' he would almost bring out the cane. This a great way to get out of doing any classwork, whilst he ranted and ranted. Personally I don't care ;)

What is so silly about this sort of thing is that both -our and -ise were changes made to English after the Norman conquest to make it look more like French. Historically -or and -ize are more traditional/proper English than -our and -ise. In fact the Oxford English Dictionary didn't even list -ise words until quite recently.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:16 pm

MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:38 pm

Testrie wrote:
MoonHill wrote:Y'know, I write for a living....l

I didn't say anything about getting bothered by bad grammar...

Uhm... it's the title of the thread...
MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:39 pm

Rkiver wrote:
RabidZombie wrote:All bad grammar achieves is hard to read text.

Quite true. I know when I see absolute rubbish typed I automatically either ignore it completely, or assume (be it correctly or incorrectly) that the author is a flaming idiot.

Precisely my position.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”