Favourite Anime Series

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Nirvash_type_Zero
level0

Postby Nirvash_type_Zero » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:29 am

Eureka seveN
Rising Thunder MVP
level2
level2

Postby Rising Thunder MVP » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:22 pm

best.anime.ever?
Peace and Love
level2
level2

Postby Peace and Love » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:02 pm

le sigh, there just HAD to be a massive anime thread for me to list on :P

ACTION:
Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Evangelion, Samurai Champloo, Inuyasha, Naruto, Hellsing, Gungrave, Full Metal Panic, FMP second raid, Noir, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Samurai X (movie), Rurouni Kenshin, Bleach, Nausicaa, Fighting Spirit, Berserk, Last Exile, Evangelion, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Prince of Tennis, Princess 9, RahXephon, Read or Die, Wolf's Rain, Outlaw Star (first good anime I remember to hit american mainstream), Chrono Crusade, Gundam Seed,

COMEDY:
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu, Love Hina, Ouran High School Host Club, Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Golden Boy, Great Teacher Onizuka, School Rumble (season 1 +2), Fruit's Basket, One Piece, FLCL, Azumanga Daioh, Ranma 1/2, Excel Saga, Slayers, Yakitate!! Japan (it's an anime about bread lol)

DRAMA (includes romance):
The Twelve Kingdoms, Monster, Grave of the Fireflies, Honey and Clover, Gankutsuou (the count of monte cristo), Millenium Actress, Now and Then- Here and There, Ai Yori Aoshi, Chobits, SaiKano, Elfen Lied

Other (in a category of their own O.o):
Mushishi, Kino's Journey, Spirited Away, Haibane Renmei, Deathnote, Comedy (no this anime is not funny despite it's title), Ghost in the Shell, Paranoia Agent,
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:32 am

No Rozen Maiden = FAIL!!!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:20 am

Favorite Anime Franchise and one of hte most underrated (At least in the USA. In Japan, nearly everyone knows the theme music, and a new television special or movie is produced every year since the late 80's. On the air since 1971 (older than me). The master thief, Lupin III.

Unfortunately, Adult Swim had to grab the weird english dub of the second series (Less serious and with fewer brilliant stories than the first series and significant dialogue changes in the dub.) and promote it as a retro T&A series. Do yourself a favor and look up the Lupin: First Contact, Lupin III: Stolen Lupin, or Lupin III: Return the Treasure specials (Not on US DVD yet unfortunately, so fansubs may be your only hope). Also, check out the first green jacket series. If you enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, some of the stories are right up your alley. "An Assassin Sings the Blues" was great, moody story telling.

In others though,

Azumanga Daioh of course is an excellent slice of life comedy.

Chobits is one of the best series I have seen in a while. Dramatic, with loveable characters, and some of the best laughs I have had from an anime. (Watch with Japanese Audio though because some of the Dubbing doesn't quite translate right or preserve the jokes, especially in Episode 4).

Cowboy Bebop of course needs no introduction.

Ghost in The Shell: Standalone Complex Series 1 & 2 are both excellent with political thriller type plots, much deeper and intelligent than the original movie (Which seemed just your typical "what does it mean to be human" plot in an action anime wrapper, neat if you haven't seen a million and one asimovian, cybernetic beings wondering about humanity, etc. plots on sci-fi shows and the like over time. The television show goes into a great deal of depth on different issues, and interesting moral quandries in the second series.)

If I left anything out (I'm sure I did), I hope to bring it up later.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:25 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:I'm currently downloading Conqueror of Shamballa, the FMA movie

I love that film :cry:
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:59 pm

No, they're tears of joy. :D

Plus, there's moments in the film where that smiley is definitely appropriate!
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:20 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:I have to agree with Ace. There are certain animes you just HAVE to see. Personally, this list contains Rozen Maiden, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell and Akira. I still have to find a Japanese version of Akira though. I'm not going to watch the English one, I hate English dubs. So yeah, I kind of undermined myself there...

The old 89 English dub is far better than watching the film in Japanese with subs, admittedly if you buy the Akira DVD now it has a new far less archetypically 'Japanese' English dub. There's no hilarious shouting of names in strange pitched voices or anything...
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:07 pm

palehorse864 wrote:Chobits is one of the best series I have seen in a while. Dramatic, with loveable characters, and some of the best laughs I have had from an anime. (Watch with Japanese Audio though because some of the Dubbing doesn't quite translate right or preserve the jokes, especially in Episode 4).
I refuse! I saw one episode in Japanese Audio and nearly fell asleep. They sound so completely disinterested that they say the line "Oh sweet merciful Lord! It's the end of the world as we know it! They're going to destroy us all!" and anyone would think they said "It would appear all is lost. Alas.", regardless of their familiarity with Japanese. I don't care if the dub is a little over the top, at least Chii's the only frequently recurring robotic speaker.

I tend to go with comedy in anime. As such Excel Saga, Love Hina and Azumanga Daioh win in not insignificant amounts. When I get around to watching Kenichi, that will probably win too.

What I saw of Cowboy Bebop was pretty neat, same with Karekano.
palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:49 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:I heard quite some positive things about Lupin III. For me, the enormous amount of episodes is a huge drawback though. I'm currently downloading Conqueror of Shamballa, the FMA movie, and two other series, Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) and Berserk. It's taking very long, though.

Jelco

If you can track down the first series, it only has 23 episodes.

The specials are individual, each like an hour and a half or so movie. First Contact has some brilliant animation, even if the storyline does conflict with the first series (Since the movie's story is being told to a reporter by one of the characters though, there could be some lying or embelishment in there, and some scenes from the first series are combined or changed.).

Oh just a warning. The theme music you will hear most is the 2nd series music. While the first series is brilliant, the theme music is... odd.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:15 pm

Anybody ever watch The Gregory Horror Show? :)
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:28 pm

Just piping in

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a fantastic anime, but first in my book would have to be Legend of the Galactic Heroes (depending on your translation). At 109 episodes, it's truly an epic, appropriate as it's based on a well-known (in Japan) sci-fi book series.
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:32 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:I also just added Elfen Lied to my download list. I haven't seen a single episode yet, but everything I've read about it made me really want to see it!
Be prepared for an ridicilously bloody and mercyless anime. I don't mind the ecchi in that, but sometimes they take the blood just too far IMO. I rarely serve any purpose other than to make the viewer say "Oooooh, Blooood!".
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:08 pm

It was among the first animes I ever seen (in the first 10 I think) and because of the brutality, it really makes an emotional impact (you don't see innocent people die like this very often, so it's disturbing to watch).

Although there are some basic moral in the story, but they use too much blood and violence to get that through.
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:26 pm

mm Prince of Tennis
Golden Boy
Love Hina
Blue Gender

Return to “Introversion Lounge”