Favourite Anime Series

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
jelco
level5
level5

Favourite Anime Series

Postby jelco » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:38 pm

Since it doesn't seem the current conversations are going to get very exciting in the near future, I think it might be nice to start another one.

The reason I chose anime above TV-series, is because anime is highly underestimated in my country (I think more European countries). For example, my two favourites are Shaman King and Avatar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shaman King may at first look like a series for 8-year-olds, but there's far more to the story. The main characters in it are all aged about 14, but it looks like they're at least 18 years old. They even live on their own! The largest problem is that the manga has been converted to an animated series with children in mind. In the anime, that Faust XII goes into Manta's stomach by just going in with his hand (it somehow disappears into it). In the manga, he is almost killed because he is cut open. I haven't finished the manga yet, but it's far more interesting than the anime, I can tell you.

Above all, you should try to find the original Japanese videos with English (hard)subs. The American dub (the same as the European version) is awful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avatar: The Last Airbender (named Avatar: The Legend of Aang in Europe) is a special one. The originial is from the US, and not from Japan. And that makes it scary. Because it's SO GOOD. Seasons 1 and 2 have been finished (the UK has five episodes to go at this moment, or so the website tells), and Season 3, the final 20 episodes, are airing in the US March 2007. You should really watch this series from the beginning.

I've heard many people say that the original IS Asian, because they use an Asian script. First, it's Traditional, which isn't used that often anymore. Different scripts are used throughout the series. And above all, that's because Avatar has been influenced by (East) Asian culture. Avatar is a word from Hinduism. The idea of the four elements comes from the four suns. For those who have seen 2.19 (The Guru, the S2 final together with The Crossroads of Destiny), you also see the link with the chakras.

But the main point is, it is simply very cool. Even adults like it.

Both series are underestimated in my country, but Avatar the most. It is the most popular show on Nick in the US among kids aged 6-14. Here, there are few people who know about the series (in 10 minutes, Season 2 starts here). But in the US, it airs 5 days a week at 4:30 pm. Here, it only airs Wednesday at 1:40 pm. Only the primary school kids can watch (Wednesday is the short day in Holland). Now, I only got round to watching it because I'm lucky my schedule is shortest on Wednesday. But it's been doomed right from the start here in Holland, IMAO.

Well, my question actually was, what are your favourite anime series? I'm not asking you to write complete stories like I did, but I'd love to read them.

Jelco
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:52 pm

They all suck.
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:10 pm

Prince of tennis....but i only got up to episode 104 here :/

mm just realised they made a live action film of it too....intresting...may have to somehow get that....and finish watch the series at some point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prince_of_Tennis
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:53 pm

prophile wrote:They all suck.

As long as we don't have the same conversation as on IRC, I will accept these comments. Otherwise, I will ask a mod to lock this topic.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:04 pm

Comedy
Azumanga Daioh

Action Drama
Cowboy Bebop

Romance
Kimi ga nozomu eien

IMMA CHARGIN MA LAZ0R
Dragonball Z

etc.

Right now I'm watching Serial Experiments Lain. I am fairly new with the anime scene, actually, but I'm semi-famous in the Swedish anime community. It's awesome.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:10 pm

Ah, I was wondering how long it would take for DBZ to pop up. I've seen far from everything from Z and GT, but I was actually quite disappointed. The storytelling was not good to simply poor at times, and it has been made FAR too lengthy, IMO.

I must say, that was only the case in the end of Z and beginning of GT. The beginning and ending parts were quite nice.

Jelco

PS: IMAO, the ending itself was very weak, by the way.

- Douglas Adams
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:27 pm

I hope you realize my satire.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:28 pm

Sort of.

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:47 pm

Since Azumanga Daioh was already mentioned, I'd like to recommend Midori Days, my second favorite.

A new "Handheld Collection" was just released (in USA, possibly others) which contains all 13 episodes on 3 discs.
for $30 USD.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:48 pm

I never really watched anime or manga. Can you recommend anything particularly good ?
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:48 pm

Why is it called handheld?

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Ghost Stalker
level2
level2

Postby Ghost Stalker » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:51 pm

uhmm....... Anime? I have to say.....

Naruto

and................................................................................. ......(ilovedots)....................................................................................................... ..................................................................................................................................................................................... .............................................(istilllovedots).....................

Tsubasa
Yep.
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:54 pm

NARUTO, NARUTO!
BELIEVE IT!
BELIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEVE IT!
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:56 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Why is it called handheld?

Jelco
It's just a name. The anime features a man whose hand transforms, so the word "Hand" is used a lot in the episode and disc titles.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:57 pm

Ah. Sounds like a typical anime storyline.

Jelco

- Douglas Adams

Return to “Introversion Lounge”