Welcome Romania and Bulgaria to EU!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Chucko
level3
level3

Postby Chucko » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:16 am

Well considering its bush, don't expect too much intelligence.
"There is no fate but what we make"
Doc Tchitcherine
level1
level1

Re: Welcome Romania and Bulgaria to EU!

Postby Doc Tchitcherine » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:27 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:
Star*Dagger wrote:it is interesting to contrast the methods of the EU versus the American Empire.

The EU has welcomed 12 countries in recent years and assimilated them peacefully. Those countries applied, got themselves up to par (or close to par) and were accepted. The US tries to invade one country and fails miserably, Iraq is close to civil war, while former Soviet bloc buffer states are now enjoying an economic, political, social and cultural upswing.

It should be pointed out that the EU and the invasion of Iraq are two totally different concepts. The US never intended to make Iraq part of the US or have any of political and economic intimacy that countries in the EU have. At the moment the US government is fairly isolationist and doesn't really want close connections to any other nations.

In reality the EU is much more like the union of states that form the United States than anything else.

Without a doubt this is entering a slightly murky realm of discussion. The US had no intention of annexing Iraq or any neighboring states nor are we currently (to the best of my knowledge) seeking to bring any other nation or state into the fifty we've already got. And it does need to be said, in the defense of the US, the realms of politics that exist at Federal, State and Regional levels can vary vastly as they deal with different issues.

Blanket statements can't accurately be applied to any nation or group of nations, politics is a very very odd thing and depending upon individual motivations politicians can have vastly different goals. Although It can also be said that military institutions and like have minds of their own and can (at times) operate independently of their respective governments.
KingAl
level5
level5

Re: Welcome Romania and Bulgaria to EU!

Postby KingAl » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:34 am

Doc Tchitcherine wrote:...nor are we currently (to the best of my knowledge) seeking to bring any other nation or state into the fifty we've already got.

Australia - all but nominally the 51st state.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:30 pm

Really? I had no idea!

Also, what exactly do you mean? Last time I checked (admittedly, 2-3 years ago) we didn't have much relations with Australia. We're friendly, but we're not trying to bring them into the Union.
Chucko
level3
level3

Postby Chucko » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:45 pm

What about Canada? They're basically the 51st state.
"There is no fate but what we make"
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:51 pm

Chucko wrote:What about Canada? They're basically the 51st state.

They don't count, on account of the French sector.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:51 pm

Chucko wrote:What about Canada? They're basically the 51st state.

Not really. US - Canada relations aren't all that good. There is a lot of cultural similarity, but other than that there's not much there.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:40 pm

*cue our Resident Canadian*
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
el_cascador
level2
level2

Postby el_cascador » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:03 pm

Nobody should say tha invasion of Iraq worked out well, imho the situation now is much worse since the invasion,
people had a better life in the regime of Saddam, without the risk of being bombed every day

Sylph-DS wrote:
el_cascador wrote:And imho Turkey shouldn't join at all, seeing that it's actually an Asian country, and seeing some of the cruelties that are done vs one specific group.
But then again who am I to say what the EU should and should not do...

That it's actually an Asian country shouldn't matter. Not letting certain countries in just because they aren't in the right place on the map would be nothing short of racism. You are right when it comes to the cruelties though ;)

To get back on topic,
It is called the EUROPEAN Union for a reason, which is that it are European country.
And thank for agreeing on the cruelty part
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:13 pm

el_cascador wrote:To get back on topic,
It is called the EUROPEAN Union for a reason, which is that it are European country.

The United States of America includes Hawaii which is not part of either American continent.

However, Turkey is actually in both Europe and Asia as the dividing line between the two runs through Turkey.
el_cascador
level2
level2

Postby el_cascador » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:15 pm

Hawaii isnt really on a continent since it's an island, you cna say tha same for the UK and Cyprus and Malta
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:23 pm

el_cascador wrote:Hawaii isnt really on a continent since it's an island, you cna say tha same for the UK and Cyprus and Malta

Yes you can, although it is fairly common to classify islands that are on the same continental shelf as being part of the same continent. Not that it matters. I was just pointing out that it is fairly common for political unions to have rather loose titles. However as I said Turkey is actually in both Europe and Asia so none of this really matters.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:26 pm

At most, if turkey got in, the european union just had to change it's name. It's not as if it hasn't done it before

Edit:

Although:

wikipedia wrote: Morocco officially applied to join the EU in 1987 but was rejected on the grounds that it was not in Europe.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:34 pm

Chucko wrote:Wow time for some American bashing?

Does this mean the bashing of America is over?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
el_cascador
level2
level2

Postby el_cascador » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:37 pm

off course not that should never be done,
btw
i'd like to know the opinion of canadians, about them actually being the 51st state

Return to “Introversion Lounge”