Welcome Romania and Bulgaria to EU!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Star*Dagger
level2
level2

Welcome Romania and Bulgaria to EU!

Postby Star*Dagger » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:49 pm

Greetings,

Id like to extend a warm welcome to Romania and Bulgaria, the latest 2 countries to join the great experiemnt that is the EU.

it is interesting to contrast the methods of the EU versus the American Empire.

The EU has welcomed 12 countries in recent years and assimilated them peacefully. Those countries applied, got themselves up to par (or close to par) and were accepted. The US tries to invade one country and fails miserably, Iraq is close to civil war, while former Soviet bloc buffer states are now enjoying an economic, political, social and cultural upswing.

Welcome back to another European century, one where Europe leads through example and not through force. Where cooperation trumps competition, and real democracy is firmly established along with the social programs to help their people become educated and stay healthy.

So i lift my glass to a new year, welcome to our Bulgarian and Romanian friends! Europe welcomes you!

Yours in European Plasma,
Star*Dagger

P.S. Next up? Turkey, Ukraine, Belarus.... hmmmm Russia and a name change to Eurasian Union?
"The Way of the Warrior is resolute acceptence of death" Musashi
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:56 pm

Thats very interesting...

I don't really care much about EU. :)
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:58 pm

Maybe we'll all come under one country (Britain!) and defeat the evil Americans forever!

Except Xander. He's OK.
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:12 pm

prophile wrote:Maybe we'll all come under one country (Britain!) and defeat the evil Americans forever!

Except Xander. He's OK.

Just to point out something.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:26 pm

prophile wrote:Maybe we'll all come under one country (Britain!) and defeat the evil Americans and sirvoks forever!

Except Xander. He's OK.
Last edited by shinygerbil on Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:30 pm

Sirvoks is from Denmark...
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:32 pm

Yeah. I am.
el_cascador
level2
level2

Postby el_cascador » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:40 pm

I don't know if it's good that they joined.
I mean, it's not that they may not, I just think there not ready for it yet,
from what I heard 40% of the Bulgarian economy is mafia(no offence to the mafia or Bulgaria)

And imho Turkey shouldn't join at all, seeing that it's actually an Asian country, and seeing some of the cruelties that are done vs one specific group.
But then again who am I to say what the EU should and should not do...
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:54 pm

You're probably right.

I second that they might not be ready to join.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:28 pm

You guys seem to forget that Slovenia introduced the Euro as national currency as of 2007. That's another important change. It's the only country that joined 'lately' that also got approved for the use of the Euro.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Slinken
level2
level2

Postby Slinken » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:50 pm

I think its great if Turkey joins beacuse then they have pressure to do something about it I dont think it will wor just to say "you wont come in if you dont do these things" beacuse then they will (probably) never join
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:18 pm

"you wont come in if you dont do these things" beacuse then they will (probably) never join

Well, Turkey wont be getting in if it doesn't bring itself up to par with the EU regulations. In fact, thats the reason why it hasn't got in already.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Chucko
level3
level3

Postby Chucko » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:43 am

Wow time for some american bashing?
"There is no fate but what we make"
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Re: Welcome Romania and Bulgaria to EU!

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:57 am

Star*Dagger wrote:it is interesting to contrast the methods of the EU versus the American Empire.

The EU has welcomed 12 countries in recent years and assimilated them peacefully. Those countries applied, got themselves up to par (or close to par) and were accepted. The US tries to invade one country and fails miserably, Iraq is close to civil war, while former Soviet bloc buffer states are now enjoying an economic, political, social and cultural upswing.

It should be pointed out that the EU and the invasion of Iraq are two totally different concepts. The US never intended to make Iraq part of the US or have any of the political and economic intimacy that countries in the EU have. At the moment the US government is fairly isolationist and doesn't really want close connections to any other nations.

In reality the EU is much more like the union of states that form the United States than anything else.
Last edited by Stewsburntmonkey on Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chucko
level3
level3

Re: Welcome Romania and Bulgaria to EU!

Postby Chucko » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:23 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:
Star*Dagger wrote:it is interesting to contrast the methods of the EU versus the American Empire.

It should be pointed out that the EU and the invasion of Iraq are two totally different concepts. The US never intended to make Iraq part of the US or have any of political and economic intimacy that countries in the EU have. At the moment the US government is fairly isolationist and doesn't really want close connections to any other nations.

In reality the EU is much more like the union of states that form the United States than anything else.

I totally agree with stews and if I were you in europe, I would be worrying about russia considering they control 60% of your oil and are jacking up your rates. Also the U.S. never failed in the invasion, and they haven't failed in the occupation, yet. Right now it could go either way, it just depends on how much balls the government has.
"There is no fate but what we make"

Return to “Introversion Lounge”