Saddam Hussein executed in Iraq

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Saddam Hussein executed in Iraq

Postby Rkiver » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:20 pm

Well the BBC have it as their main headline.

So he's dead now, but was killing him a good or a bad idea? Some say good. Some say bad. Good, he paid for his crimes. Bad, he is now a martyr to certain fruitcakes.

But what do you think? And remember, he had nothing to do with the attacks on America in September 2001, and Osama Bin Laden and him are not friends, never were, and in fact hate each other and what they stand for. (Just to clear that up for any who think incorrectly to the contrary).
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Beafman
level1
level1

Re: Saddam Hussein executed in Iraq

Postby Beafman » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:41 pm

Rkiver wrote:Well the BBC have it as their main headline.

So he's dead now, but was killing him a good or a bad idea? Some say good. Some say bad. Good, he paid for his crimes. Bad, he is now a martyr to certain fruitcakes.

But what do you think? And remember, he had nothing to do with the attacks on America in September 2001, and Osama Bin Laden and him are not friends, never were, and in fact hate each other and what they stand for. (Just to clear that up for any who think incorrectly to the contrary).

Everybody knew that Osama and Saddam had nothing to do with each other, it is just bush who wants the oil, and a military precense in the midle east. bush can have his troops in iraq for ever, because bush, congress, the senate, and the presidents to come, all know that if they pull out, iraq will go into civil war, followed by a invasion by either Iran or syria who ever takes it first. But they will not pull out before all the oil is gone.

Also bush has killed more people in his time as president then saddam himself, and no one seems to care about it.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:28 pm

'Around here' as in on the IV website (full of card-carrying Republicans, presumably?), or 'around here' as in over there on Cygnus X-1?
In any case, I'd agree that he shouldn't have been executed. It's interesting that a president supported by many evangelical Christians supports an execution - aren't they supposed to 'turn the other cheek'? Oh: no-one even try to suggest that the judgement was genuinely isolated from U.S. bias.
Last edited by KingAl on Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:31 pm

I think it was a bad idea. Mostly because it'll give the rebels in Iraq more reasons to get people to join them. I agree with whoever said something about Bush that wants oil.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:46 pm

I agree that it was a bad idea; all my reasons have already been stated in above posts. (Particularly 'martyr to certain fruitcakes.') It's not productive, it's not clever, it just fuels the fire.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:18 pm

Well I agree with the above 2 posts. Also, we dont know if he has been tortured in secret by USA. He deserved life sentence, agreed, but death is really a 'light' punishment. Because he wont feel anything at all.
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:15 pm

A black hole? Interesting.. *reads more on wikipedia*
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:17 pm

Hmm... yeah. Not 100% in favour of executing anyone if it can be avoided, but what realy annoys me is the way the media report this. I've heard "was executed for crimes against humanity" too often today, when that's a very specific offence that can only be brought forward by the International Criminal Court under the Rome Statute. Saddam was hung for 124 counts of murder. Bad enough, but not CAH.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:27 pm

Kind of agree with you, but hanging is a somewhat light punishment. You don't suffer from dieing. You suffer from life sentences.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:55 pm

You also suffer if you are slowly grated to death over a period of several years.
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:11 pm

BrianBlessed wrote:You also suffer if you are slowly grated to death over a period of several years.

Yeah. And Saddam would probably be beaten up by hes fellow prisoneers.
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:15 pm

He got the easy way out.
Nakatomi is coming
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:21 pm

Yeah, he really did. Was he hung ?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:35 pm

sirvoks wrote:Yeah, he really did. Was he hung ?

I'm sorry. My first thought when I read that was very tasteless. I'll leave now.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

lunquewill
level1
level1

Postby lunquewill » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:04 am

In a war like this, there really isn't "good" or "bad." There is "bad" and "less bad." The only good move is to not start one, especially with evidence as flimsy as that presented to the UN by Colin Powell, who resigned a very short time later, and that Mr Bush retracted as a "mistake" a couple of years ago. Saddam's execution won't change anything, though it does prevent the possibility that he will engineer a military coup, which he could do, given the rather large and heavily-armed group of people that support him and removes the likelihood that he will track down and kill any more informants, as he frequently did while he was Iraq's president-for-life.

As a note, this war isn't about oil; the US still buys much oil from Venezuela even as Mr Chevez expresses his hatred for Mr Bush. It might be about a personal retribution for a failed assassination attempt on a certain former US President who is related to the current one.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”