Great article

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
estel
level4
level4

Great article

Postby estel » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:46 pm

And the site got slashdotted again because of it :P
Ok, this might be elsewhere, but search isn't working, and there are too many threads in the DEFCON forum.

Basically, it's a great article about violence in videogames, referencing DEFCON at will: http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/27525

If we are nothing but what the media makes us, then Defcon should be quarantined, its bits scrambled, and the designers publicly executed during a prime time TV commercial break.

:D:D:D:D:D
skilletaudio
level1
level1

Postby skilletaudio » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:58 am

He does raise an interesting point, however.

The concept of "games as teachers", or 'Serious Gaming' as it is coming to be known, is drawing a lot of attention, and DEFCON might have a subtle thing to add to that.

Now that I think about it., you notice that DEFCON barely even legitimizes the violence by providing a score. In terms of the score, death = success, but apart from that, it isnt giving us visceral satisfaction(bone cracks and blood splats), nor is it giving us much direct positive reinforcement( "5 million dead, YOU ROCK!").

Now, we know that its a game, and the "lose the least" aspect of it is a part of the "schtick" to us, but what if someone played this game without any preamble or taglines? No sidelong winks with "everybody dies (smileyface)" ? I wonder, if you administered DEFCON to someone in a sort of blind-test, without giving them access to hype or the game mentality behind it, if they would find it subtly disturbing?

Its all very cold, not really fantastic, in the fantasy sense of the word. Almost more like a MAD-sim. Perhaps there is something to learn from it?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:28 pm

skilletaudio wrote:Now, we know that its a game, and the "lose the least" aspect of it is a part of the "schtick" to us, but what if someone played this game without any preamble or taglines? No sidelong winks with "everybody dies (smileyface)" ? I wonder, if you administered DEFCON to someone in a sort of blind-test, without giving them access to hype or the game mentality behind it, if they would find it subtly disturbing?

Hell, I've been a part of the hype since the first announcement of Defcon's existence. I know and love the schtick. I still find the game disturbing. I kid you not, I had a nightmare last night in which a mushroom cloud sprung up over Reno. Scared the bejeezus out of me when I woke up.

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”