300 Spartans

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Samuelson
level1
level1

300 Spartans

Postby Samuelson » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm

Just found a trailer on the web for "300" which is inspired by Frank Millers Comic Novel "300".

Deals with the battle of Thermopylae, where 300 Spartans and Greek soldiers blocked an army of thousands of Persians. It really looks awesome and I want it to be "uncut" when it is released in Germany. Has 2 positive aspects not so many kids in the theatre and all the good scenes are in it too :)

Enjoy the Trailer of 300. I ordered the Comic Book as soon as I watched this preview. This is on my "to watch and play" list right after Defcon :)
Tookie
level2
level2

Postby Tookie » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:29 am

I love the stylized atmosphere. Looks to be semi Historical. Some accounts are probably exagerated, but its one of Humanities gretest displays of Courage.

Definetly a must see.
"Trust is a tough thing to come by"
- R.J. Macready
Bas
level2
level2

Postby Bas » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:05 pm

"Tonight, we die in hell!"

If you're in hell, chances are you are already dead.
Samuelson
level1
level1

Postby Samuelson » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:12 pm

edit: I got the comic book, and he actually says tonight we dine in hell....
Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Postby Crusader Scott » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:09 am

I would feel better if the film was based upon Pressfield's GATES OF FIRE, but it might be good anyway. The only thing that concerns me is the look: it resembles a cross between TROY, LotRs, ALEXANDER, and SIN CITY. This film, I fear, will either be a mess of mixed genres or an instant classic. :) I'm hoping for the latter as the Battle of Thermopylae is one of the most important, and stirring, battles in Western history. And, with the looming problems of a nuclear-armed Iran, maybe just the film we need at this moment in time. :wink:
Star*Dagger
level2
level2

Postby Star*Dagger » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:44 pm

I wonder if they are going to touch on the fact that most of those guys were GAY WARRIORS!

sparta was a military society based on sending young boy awy to train to be warriors. At aroudn the onset of puberty they would have a mentor who would teach them EVERYTHING. This is a fact that many movies choose to ignore.

Yours in Spartan Plasma,
Star*Dagger
"The Way of the Warrior is resolute acceptence of death" Musashi
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:01 pm

Star*Dagger wrote:I wonder if they are going to touch on the fact that most of those guys were GAY WARRIORS!

sparta was a military society based on sending young boy awy to train to be warriors. At aroudn the onset of puberty they would have a mentor who would teach them EVERYTHING. This is a fact that many movies choose to ignore.

Yours in Spartan Plasma,
Star*Dagger

Of course all spartans were gay; thats the reason spartans died out after one generation.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:36 pm

alphager wrote:Of course all spartans were gay; thats the reason spartans died out after one generation.

Not exactly, but he is right that there were a lot of homosexual soldiers in the greek armies at those times. Apparently they fought in groups known as the "sacred band" or some such thing and they fought especially hard because of their devotion to their partners....

I must say that I've not read the comic but I'd be very interested in seeing this movie and at some point getting my hands on a copy to read, it sounds very fun. :)
Star*Dagger
level2
level2

Postby Star*Dagger » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:44 pm

alphager wrote:
Star*Dagger wrote:I wonder if they are going to touch on the fact that most of those guys were GAY WARRIORS!

Yours in Spartan Plasma,
Star*Dagger

Of course all spartans were gay; thats the reason spartans died out after one generation.

wrong.

They did have wives, which they treated dismissively at best, to have children. And they lasted much longer than 1 generation.
My point being is that the quintessential military fighting force in history was made up primarily of gay men, who took boys and help to teach them everything from warfare to sex. Now whether or not you agree with their actions, to ignore it is to commit revisionism at its worst. We cant censor historical dramas to fit our current mileau, this has been done repeatedly with movies like Alexander, Braveheart, Troy and the list goes on and on.
At least the History Channel (Hack channel is more like it) mentioned the Spartans life style, they could hardly avoid it since it was so central to their life.
It is nice to see that others also knew about this, nice to see more people getting the proper story.

Yours in Historically Accurate Plasma,
Star*Dagger
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:27 pm

You both missed my sarcasm.

To claim that the greek armies consisted purely of homosexuals, or even mostly of homosexuals is wrong.
Homosexuality as we know it (exclusive homosexuality;) was not commonplace; homosexual intercourse however was accepted even for straight men.

The Spartans were definetly not taken aback by a beauty full woman.
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:32 pm

I saw the trailer ages ago, when CAD showed it off.
Looks *very* good, though I hope it isn't botched.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:56 am

Star*Dagger wrote:Now whether or not you agree with their actions, to ignore it is to commit revisionism at its worst. We cant censor historical dramas to fit our current mileau, this has been done repeatedly with movies like Alexander, Braveheart, Troy and the list goes on and on.
At least the History Channel (Hack channel is more like it) mentioned the Spartans life style, they could hardly avoid it since it was so central to their life.

I think there are some things are worth remembering, such as what the Jews went through during the holocaust, and same with the African-Americans during the times of slavery. We owe it to them and it's healthy to remember because it wizens us. But there are some things that many of us would rather not know, and don't really teach us anything. And besides, I don't think we really owe it to the Spartans. I wouldn't call myself a revisionist for wanting to ignore that ugly tidbit of the Spartan lifestyle (I'm referring to the pedifile aspect). I'd much rather watch the censored version.

wwarnick
Star*Dagger
level2
level2

Postby Star*Dagger » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:59 am

wwarnick wrote:
Star*Dagger wrote:Now whether or not you agree with their actions, to ignore it is to commit revisionism at its worst. We cant censor historical dramas to fit our current mileau, this has been done repeatedly with movies like Alexander, Braveheart, Troy and the list goes on and on.

I think there are some things are worth remembering, such as what the Jews went through during the holocaust, and same with the African-Americans during the times of slavery. We owe it to them and it's healthy to remember because it wizens us. But there are some things that many of us would rather not know, and don't really teach us anything. And besides, I don't think we really owe it to the Spartans. I wouldn't call myself a revisionist for wanting to ignore that ugly tidbit of the Spartan lifestyle (I'm referring to the pedifile aspect). I'd much rather watch the censored version.

wwarnick

Yes most people would, thats my point. But what you are then dealing with is fantasy not a story based in reality.
I think telling the truth helps us realize that what we consider to be right and wrong, ugly or beautiful depends on our cultural norms, not some
objective 'Right or Wrong'. I think it would be helpful (maybe) to show that Gays not only can be in military service, but have excelled historically.
I am sure that with the monogamistic homophobic fascist nature of the US these days you will get the censored version, at least you have been exposed
to some alternative thoughts on it, which the movie-goers won't be and will idolize something they dont truly understand.

Yours in Anti-Censorship Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Star*Dagger
level2
level2

Postby Star*Dagger » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:03 pm

alphager wrote:You both missed my sarcasm.

To claim that the greek armies consisted purely of homosexuals, or even mostly of homosexuals is wrong.
Homosexuality as we know it (exclusive homosexuality;) was not commonplace; homosexual intercourse however was accepted even for straight men.

The Spartans were definetly not taken aback by a beauty full woman.

Not only was it commonplace it was considered the 'Superior' form of sexual intercourse. I have read the Ancient Greek, the reasoning goes as follows " How can a man be a strong warrior if he engages in sex with the weaker gender. To acheive true masculinity, a man should be with a man, only with a woman to do his duty for the Polis (city-state)"

Very misogynistic, but that was the reality THEN. I find it sad, and a bit funny to judge them by todays standards, oh these are also the group of people that invented Democracy, hehe.

S*D

EDIT: though the spartans educated and trained with women they still found men to be superior.
Last edited by Star*Dagger on Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:47 pm

wwarnick wrote: We owe it to them and it's healthy to remember because it wizens us.

Star*Dagger wrote:They did have wives, which they treated dismissively at best, to have children.

I'd dispute this. Spartans were highly elitist, and as a result women were educated and physically conditioned much like the men - on the basis that a strong matriarch would produce and raise strong children. Thus it could be argued that they were treated much better than in other Greek city states, such as Athens, which could be described as a "men's club". The fact that the Athenian drama Lysistrata (essentially about women asserting their authority through a 'sex strike') was considered so preposterous as to be a comedy highlights this.

wwarnick wrote:I think there are some things are worth remembering...but there are some things that many of us would rather not know, and don't really teach us anything.

You don't need to blatantly depict something in order to make people aware that it occurred. Thus, the issue is more censorship giving an incorrect impression of ancient societies.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”