300 Spartans

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:21 am

Star*Dagger wrote:They were Gay (or as one of my fans on this boards so correctly pointed out) Bi-sexual.

S*D
Well? Which one? Being gay and being bisexual is hardly one and the same...
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:34 pm

Star*Dagger wrote:They were Gay (or as one of my fans on this boards so correctly pointed out) Bi-sexual.

S*D

You still have not provided a citation. While you have now conceded, in part, that I am correct in my understanding of history, you have not yet provided a citation. As it is not my field, and I do not know where to go for such information, I am going to continue to insist that you cite your sources. Please direct me to a peer reviewed article (or three) that discuss the sexuality of the Spartans.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:38 pm

xander wrote:As it is not my field, and I do not know where to go for such information, I am going to continue to insist that you cite your sources.

Irregardless of your field, any form of argument you wish to make on a high enough level must be backed by citations. Even if you're setting out to prove everyone wrong, you have to cite those who believe what you're trying to prove wrong :P

NeoThermic
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:41 pm

Check out my poll about the movie Death Proof in the introversion lounge
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:27 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Irregardless [. . .]

Not a word. . .

Trident: Don't be an ass. There is no need to promote your poll in other threads.
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:31 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Trident: Don't be an ass.

but thats my favorite pastime
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:39 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:As it is not my field, and I do not know where to go for such information, I am going to continue to insist that you cite your sources.

Irregardless of your field, any form of argument you wish to make on a high enough level must be backed by citations. Even if you're setting out to prove everyone wrong, you have to cite those who believe what you're trying to prove wrong :P

NeoThermic

The bit about my field is, actually, part of the point that I was trying to make. I don't know what the consensus of the historical community is with regards to the sexuality of the Spartans. My impression, from lay texts, was that they were largely heterosexual, but that older soldiers had homosexual relations with younger soldiers, with a definite power imbalance as part of the relationship. I don't feel that I need to cite anything, because I am not trying to prove anything wrong, I just want to know where to go for the information that Star*Dagger keeps repeating. Because history is not my field, I haven't a clue where to look, which is what I want from Star*Dagger.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:01 pm

xander wrote:The bit about my field is, actually, part of the point that I was trying to make. I don't know what the consensus of the historical community is with regards to the sexuality of the Spartans. My impression, from lay texts, was that they were largely heterosexual, but that older soldiers had homosexual relations with younger soldiers, with a definite power imbalance as part of the relationship. I don't feel that I need to cite anything, because I am not trying to prove anything wrong, I just want to know where to go for the information that Star*Dagger keeps repeating. Because history is not my field, I haven't a clue where to look, which is what I want from Star*Dagger.

xander

Of course, I was just agreeing with you. Star*Dagger does need to cite his sources.

Stewsburntmonkey: It's a non-standard formation of a double-negative word. It's still a word though. If you want we can take this into a new topic? ;)

NeoThermic
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:40 pm

Look guys, I think you've all proven Star*Dagger doesn't have a clue what he is talking about, and there isn't much point left here. :)
Star*Dagger
level2
level2

Postby Star*Dagger » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:47 am

Except for the little part about it being True, which no matter how many people come on here and say its not, doesnt change what happened in Sparta.

Yours in Correct Historical Plasma,
Star*Dagger

P.S. For xander and the others dying for citations, simply google it. Most of the best material is still in Ancient Greek so enjoy.
"The Way of the Warrior is resolute acceptence of death" Musashi
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:52 am

Star*Dagger wrote:P.S. For xander and the others dying for citations, simply google it. Most of the best material is still in Ancient Greek so enjoy.

Well, if there's that many sources, you won't have any problem linking to a few. See, you're the one making an assertion, of which we've called you on it. Thus you have to provide sources, not us. Telling us to "google it" doesn't cut the mustard.

Time to put your links where your post is!

NeoThermic
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:54 am

Indeed. Star*Dagger, if you want to have a reasonable argument, then the burden of proof is very much on you. If you reply without actually fulfilling this request, then I can only assume you've made up the sources to which you allude.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:05 pm

Star*Dagger wrote:P.S. For xander and the others dying for citations, simply google it. Most of the best material is still in Ancient Greek so enjoy.

Generally speaking, Google does not return results from peer reviewed journals. As I have repeatedly asked for citations to peer reviewed articles in respected historical journals, Google is not a good place to look.

xander
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:16 pm

xander wrote:

Generally speaking, Google does not return results from peer reviewed journals. As I have repeatedly asked for citations to peer reviewed articles in respected historical journals, Google is not a good place to look.

xander

Google Scholar does. . .

-----

However telling others that they should do your research for you isn't a great way to go about things.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:20 pm

Stab! Stab! Stabbity stab stab stab!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “Introversion Lounge”