Makers of viruses, I will kick you in the eyes

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Napalm Sushi
level2
level2

Postby Napalm Sushi » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:55 pm

It's a bastard, isn't it?
STOKE-ON-TRENT HIT: NO-ONE IMPORTANT DEAD
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:43 pm

xander wrote:What did you learn? That you should be using a Mac?

Montyphy wrote:Stop encouraging people to get Firefox! If FF becomes more popular than IE more "hackers" will start targeting its exploits.

Substitute "Firefox" with "Mac", "IE" with "Windows", and ""hackers"" with "hallowed warriors of righteousness".
timonator
level2
level2

Postby timonator » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:02 pm

it didnt take 6 hours to get the virus off of your computer. it rather took 6 hours to get the virus off of your windows.
computers can also run linux and bsd and all the good stuff out there, you know?
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:17 am

yes yes... i know... that is also what i meant
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:37 pm

Any decent anti-virus would of put a stop to that infection before it got to the point of requiring a format.

NeoThermic
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:00 pm

yea, but it cheated me... i opened the file, and suddenly my virus program's real-time protection popped up with 12 things it considered as a threat. Tt blocked 11 of the 12 threats but the last one it could not block... but then suddenly my firewall blocked messenger?! i removed the blockade, and a bot started to send the link to everyone on my messenger. If i just listened to my firewall...
davejk
level1
level1

Postby davejk » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:11 pm

Linux ftw, but when I have to use Windows I use NOD32.
svack
level1
level1

Postby svack » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:23 am

I used to use FF, but I use Opera now, no real reason for the switch, just felt like a change
timonator
level2
level2

Postby timonator » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:45 pm

as long as you stay with a browser that does not cause pain to web developers (like i myself sometimes am) that's absolutely fine.

also on the Fx exploits stuff: the thing with Fx exploits is that since Fx is open source.
why is that good you ask? exploiters will much more easily find the exploits they are looking for you say?
well, that's true, but also look on the other side of the medal: programmers all over the world (a craploadic amount of them) can, and do, look at the code.
exploits can be immediately reported on the mozilla bugtracker. BugZilla is quite effective for the workflow of the devs. devs will get emails telling them about the new exploit that was noticed and the devs can try to fix the exploit themselves. however: if the exploit is simple of the person who found it is experienced he himself can just send a patch, have it approved by other users and the devs and all users will be happy.

omg. i am such an FOSS fanboy!
W31RD0
level3
level3

Postby W31RD0 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:54 pm

Am I the only one in here using Avant browser?
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...
Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
timonator
level2
level2

Postby timonator » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:05 pm

you may be using "Avant Browser", but it's no different from using IE. at all.
at least from a webdev's perspective

same goes with CoolBrowser and whatever those crappy things are called
Sr_Dela
level2
level2

Postby Sr_Dela » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:35 am

Yeh, I got a virus some time back. In retrospect I deserve to have gotten it for how stupid I was. The thing is my computer didn't come with a boot disc, I had to burn backup dics myself which I never got around to doing :lol: . So when I got the virus, in desperation, I got a pirated version of Windows XP Pro, whereas if I could find a damned pirated version of Windows XP Media Center, I could put my LEGAL code in and everything would be fine... but that wasn't the case.

Long story short, I'm kinda forced to get Vista when it comes out. Shame that I'll be wasting alot of the features that come with a Media Center computer, but, eh, my own fault.

Oh, and before I'm told to get a Mac or run Linux:

1) Got a mac in the living room that cost as much as my PC. ....it sucks ballz.

2)I almost switched to linux out of desperation. But I'm not just gonna browse the internet and play games (since I'm not a coder or programmer or into open source), I have alot of valuable software running for Windows. I don't want to find the equivalent of those for Linux if I switched.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:06 am

Sr_Dela wrote:Got a mac in the living room that cost as much as my PC. ....it sucks ballz.

Damn, that's gotta sting.

In other news, I'm back onto Windows - only slightly because of the fact Defcon's coming out...
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:51 am

timonator wrote:the thing with Fx exploits is that since Fx is open source.
why is that good you ask? exploiters will much more easily find the exploits they are looking for you say?

Yes. Just like a Mac vs. Windows, FF is hacked less because it has less users. Yes, open-source allows people to find the holes and patch them up quicker. But holes keep coming, and hackers always find them first. If Firefox ever gets enough users to really compete with IE, it will be equally hacked. And about FF being a better browser. I personally haven't yet had trouble with IE displaying a site incorrectly, but I have with Firefox. This is because most web developers build their websites primarily for IE because, again, they have the largest user-base.
You can hate Microsoft all you want, but until someone gives me a really good reason to switch to a Mac or Firefox, I'm sticking with what works best and is most practical: IE and Windows.

Linux has uses, but only if stability and performance are a must and compatibility isn't necessary. However, compatibility is often the most important part, and Windows is stable enough and performs plenty for my uses.

wwarnick
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 am

He he, don't format, thats the last resort.
First things first, boot up in safe mode.

You want to back up anything crucial, and fast.
( And no i don't mean pr0n! )
( Yes i DO mean your defcon authkey... ) *cough* not really.

/me unloads his brick carrying truck onto xander and his not very trusty mac... *Each brick leaves a unique impression.*
|_ Mid speech btw. :P

Do a system restore, fixes almost anything, and fast...

Do virus scans, and adware scans, find the pif, and kill it for good.
( Use winAXE.exe or winBUTCHERSKNIFE.exe ( not really. )

You want to THEN, find your msn, uninstall it.

By the way, don't call it a virus, its slightly worm like, but its mainly a trojan.
I wonder if it could be classified as a worm by its msn spreading method?

Meh, you get the point, ask for help if u need it.
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"
"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."
"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."
"Sure you will."
"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"

Return to “Introversion Lounge”