The world is going to end.

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Postby Montyphy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:44 pm

Aaargh wrote:
Montyphy wrote:
Aaargh wrote:Until now, Einstein is COMPLETELY right.


Ofcourse, Einstein was NEVER wrong. Cosmological constant anyone? :roll:


Let me redefine my statement. THe general relativity theory of Einstein, that is used now, is completely correct.


I don't believe I said anything to the contrary.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
User avatar
DrDemento
level2
level2
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:51 pm
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Postby DrDemento » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:47 am

Aaargh wrote:And that is why QM is not the correct theorie.


No one said it was, maybe when it's finished it will be better? It does, however, concern itself with behaviour that has been observed. QT does not explain everything, but some parts of it are accepted theory, and, beleive it or not, that means that people who know a hell of a lot about it think that it is the best explanation. The topics of QT explain things that GR does not.

That is just plain bullshit. There are only 4 dimensions. THe string theory idiots say that the 6/8/10212 other dimensions are curved very strong, so we won't notice them. None of the laws of physics would be consisntent if there were more dimension, even a flatlander would knwo that there were 3 physical and 1 etmporal dimension.

Erm... Please be quiet in future. Do you understand compactification? No? Oh, I see... Superstring theory is very advanced. I'm not saying it is correct, no one is, but it is not bullshit. It is a field of ongoing reseach which has been around for fifty years or so (I think, could be a bit less) and, again, the people studying it know a lot about it. I don't think you know as much as them, so why don't you give them some credit and realise that if it looked as if the theory could never be made to work then they would have given up? Also, a flatlander would think there were 2 physical dimensions and 1 time, that's the whole point of the book.

[\quote]
Finished my rant. Any questions?[/quote]
Why don't you read up on the philosophy of science and then follow that will some pop-sci and then reconsider?
estel
level4
level4
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Postby estel » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:02 pm

Hmm... flame war impending, I fear. Calm down. Disagree with the post, not the poster.
I do agree with Montyphy though that probability is necessary and that events future cannot be determined simply by knowing the values of all the variables at the present and "fast-forwarding" them to find what will happen. This works classically, but our current best theory (i.e. quantum theory, which hasn't really been superceded yet, even if it is flawed) does show that what happens in the future can only be seen as a probability, not a certainty.
User avatar
Babylon5
level5
level5
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:30 pm
Location: Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

Postby Babylon5 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:07 pm

No, there doesn't tend to be any flame wars on the iV boards, fortunately.

Although this might change thanks to the flood of OMFGZ STEAM USERZ.
Image

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Postby Montyphy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:09 pm

Babylon5 wrote:No, there doesn't tend to be any flame wars on the iV boards, fortunately.

Although this might change thanks to the flood of OMFGZ STEAM USERZ.


Nah, they seem preoccuppied with asking the same questions over and over.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
User avatar
Babylon5
level5
level5
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:30 pm
Location: Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

Postby Babylon5 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:40 pm

Well, that aswell.
Image



No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
User avatar
Aaargh
level2
level2
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:43 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Postby Aaargh » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:51 am

DrDemento wrote:
That is just plain bullshit. There are only 4 dimensions. THe string theory idiots say that the 6/8/10212 other dimensions are curved very strong, so we won't notice them. None of the laws of physics would be consisntent if there were more dimension, even a flatlander would knwo that there were 3 physical and 1 etmporal dimension.

Erm... Please be quiet in future. Do you understand compactification? No? Oh, I see... Superstring theory is very advanced. I'm not saying it is correct, no one is, but it is not bullshit. It is a field of ongoing reseach which has been around for fifty years or so (I think, could be a bit less) and, again, the people studying it know a lot about it. I don't think you know as much as them, so why don't you give them some credit and realise that if it looked as if the theory could never be made to work then they would have given up? Also, a flatlander would think there were 2 physical dimensions and 1 time, that's the whole point of the book.


I meant there couldn't be more than 3 physical dimensions, that aren't curved. The string theory, however far-fetched, could be right. If we had 4 non-extremely-curved physical dimensions, but could only see 3, newtons law of gravity would be.

F = GMm/r^3

A flatlander would notice that the gravty follows the law

F = GMm/r^2

And would decide that there are 3 physical dimensions, but that they couldn't see the third one.

By the way, I'm saying that flash animation is bullshit, the extra dimesniosn string theory has, have nothing to do with what that flash animation says.
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Postby Montyphy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:14 am

You do realise the other dimensions described in String Theory are at the subatomic level, right?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Rock
level2
level2
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:50 am
Location: Purcellville, VA

Postby Rock » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:22 am

I can see it now...

'5...4...3...2...1...LAUNCH!'

vrrrnnn....KA-FWOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!!


'Great, Jenkins, you just destroyed the world. Way to go.'

'Well, shit.'

If they have to mention the probability of destroying the planet, I get VERY worried.

Please don't blow up the world before DEFCON please. D:
User avatar
Aaargh
level2
level2
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:43 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Postby Aaargh » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:44 pm

Montyphy wrote:You do realise the other dimensions described in String Theory are at the subatomic level, right?


Aaargh wrote:THe string theory says that the 6/8/10212 other dimensions are curved very strong, so we won't notice them.


Yup thus.

I'm sorry if was insulting, or exagerating, i'm having some troubles lately, which cause my temper (and my knowledge of english) to become bad.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests