New Introversion Game

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:06 am

Chris wrote:Finally, why does everyone call the 4th game UpDefWinia? I understand the reference, but the actual name has already been announced, and personally I think its a much much cooler name :)

:)

Chris wrote:I love the fact ive posted this in some random topic that most people won't even read, hehe

Chris, I never thought that I would give you one of these, but you deserve it:

xander
Rock
level2
level2

Postby Rock » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:34 am

Chris wrote: Finally, why does everyone call the 4th game UpDefWinia? I understand the reference, but the actual name has already been announced, and personally I think its a much much cooler name :)

Personally I think while Subversion is indeed a neat title, Updefwinia shall be the title given to the fourth game by the community for quite a while due to the sheer fact that most everyone uses it instead of Subversion. Sort of a cycle. Person uses name of Updefwinia, causing another person to use the title...eventually ending up for everyone calling it Updefwinia.

I blame politics.
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:51 am

Updefwinia is sort of a way to say "the fourth game". I wont call it Subversion before we get some screenshots and more information about it... Until then... Wooho Updefwinia RUULEZZ!!1!!!1!!11!
Dave2
level4
level4

Postby Dave2 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:30 am

The real question is, if it is its real name, and not all an ELABORATE HOAX, will Subversion be used to manage the source to Subversion? (I seem to remember hearing that it was with Darwinia. No idea if that was just me misremembering, or false information, or true.)
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:28 am

Chris wrote:Firstly I don't think the virus that invades Darwinia is Revelation.

Gosh, it's not so bad being wrong when I'm corrected by Chris himself. That was an honor.

I thought it was too much of a coincidence that both Darwinia and Uplink involved a virus and that Darwinia was based off a server in Uplink. I thought that Darwinia was the moment Revelation hit the Darwin server. But I was wrong.
However, note that he never said anything about whether or not the next game will be Uplink 2. He's said before that his next game should be an easy guess based on the pattern set in the past and the fact that he started making it right after Uplink. The pattern has been creating games off of existing Uplink servers. Unless someone can think of another Uplink server that could make for a good game, I still predict that it will be Uplink 2, only they'll probably make drastic changes to the gameplay, not just better graphics and a more intuitive UI. Multiplayer maybe.

Are there any other servers in Uplink that would make for a good game? What else could possibly fit the pattern?

BTW, if Uplink takes place after Darwinia, then what happened to the Darwinians that launched off into space (the internet)?

wwarnick
Last edited by wwarnick on Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:17 am

Chris wrote:Disclaimer: This isnt the "official" word on these issues. There is no official word. It's just my opinions.

Chris, you're the mind behind the games. Your opinions are scripture. That is, unless you're leading us on.

wwarnick
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:12 pm

I don't use the name Subversion because i confuse it with the source control tool.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:04 pm

mibias wrote:"the fourth game"

<the forth[sic] game>

xander
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:29 am

Well, if it is based on an Uplink server, I bet the next game is...

INTROVERSION SIMULATOR 2007!

I mean, come on, it has SO got to be based on the credits machine.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:00 pm

What is revelation?
I finally got around to finishing Darwinia its great, the last level was not too hard. Is there a guide to teach me how to use Map editer?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:04 pm

Wasgood wrote:What is revelation?

Revelation is the virus in Introversion's first game, Uplink, that was designed to destory the internet of 2010.

Wasgood wrote:I finally got around to finishing Darwinia its great, the last level was not too hard. Is there a guide to teach me how to use Map editer?

http://thenextgame.co.uk/guide.php

xander
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:13 pm

RabidZombie wrote:INTROVERSION SIMULATOR 2007!

You mean it simulates the hundreds of crack addicted monkies IV use to write their code?
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:44 pm

Chris wrote:Firstly I don't think the virus that invades Darwinia is Revelation. The virus is clearly explained by Dr Sepulveda as being some infected spam mail, which is far too primitive for the Revelation virus
Uplink is set in 2010, and Darwinia is set now.
The idea I like much better is that the Revelation virus is based on Darwinia.
There is a clear special mission in Uplink where research data is stolen from Darwin Research Associates - I believe this is the point where the hackers of 2010 break into Sepulveda's computers and steal the red virus code, which has been mutating and hardening up against the Darwinians for years and years, and Revelation is based on that. Can't quite remember but the Uplink mission description mentions wanting the Darwin research data for its ability to spread and multiply fast on the Internet - not for its destructive power, and this fits with the behaviour of the red virus from Darwinia.

Viola! So Darwinia's virus would become Revelation.

But we still don't know what happened to the Darwinian astronauts. If Darwinia really is in Uplink's universe, then the Darwinians should already be all over the internet when Uplink begins. Therefore I'm tempted to think Darwinia was merely inspired from the Darwin server instead of actually being the Darwin server. Defcon has no direct relation. Or maybe I shouldn't be taking this so seriously. I don't know. I think I've lost my soul.

I'm going to lunch now. I think I'll get a large #6 spicy chicken with no tomato and extra mayo at Wendy's, but then again, a bacon and cheddar roast beef at Arby's sure sounds good.

wwarnick
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:54 pm

however the thing is the darwinians could be considered to be the ultimate virus, so they'd have been stopped from eating up the entire interet. And actually remember that uplink is not the internet, rather the corporately built AWAN.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:27 pm

#6 at Wendy's sounds good, but no mayo.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”