Attention Mac Users

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What kind of Mac do you have

PowerPC
49%
Intel
32%
Both
18%

Total votes: 65
ShepFan
level2
level2

Postby ShepFan » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:54 pm

xander wrote:
Babylon5 wrote:xander is jealous.

Yes, I am. Even worse, three years ago, I could have topped that with my Mac II (it was signed, but my mother gave it away). Right now, I have a Quadra, a Blue and White G3, and my PowerBook G4. However, I think I will be getting an Intel Book in the spring, when the tax refund comes.

By the way, ShepFan, what is your reaction to "Frog blast the vent core!"?

xander

I had to look it up. I had left the computer game programming biz for the biomedical programming biz by the time the Marathon series came out, and Darwinia is the only game to spark my interest since I left, so I've never played the Marathon series. Sorry! Are you comparing grenade-hopping with my inattentive bare-leg-searing-while-mesmerized-by-Darwinia behavior? That seems appropriate to me!

On the other hand, if you meant to write the rarely-used taunt, "Don't frog blast the vent core!" my reaction would be (1) I wouldn't try to make anyone jealous--developers have to keep up with the new technology. At least, that's my excuse for buying new computers and I'm sticking with it! :D And (B), re-reading the thread, I'm not sure why I volunteered that information at that point. Perhaps I'd enjoyed that night's wine a bit more than I realized; perhaps I was putting my two cents into the "I wanna be a Mac tester" discussion. So, (III), please don't take it seriously! :)

-ShepFan

(bizarre numbering scheme credit- Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers, as heard on NPR's "Car Talk." Somehow it has wormed its way into my almost-daily use.)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:58 pm

That quote is a way of knowing how long a person has been using a Mac. Anyone that remembers when that game came out will run screaming when they hear "Frog blast the vent core!"

xander
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:19 pm

xander wrote:
Babylon5 wrote:xander is jealous.

Yes, I am. Even worse, three years ago, I could have topped that with my Mac II (it was signed, but my mother gave it away). Right now, I have a Quadra, a Blue and White G3, and my PowerBook G4. However, I think I will be getting an Intel Book in the spring, when the tax refund comes.

By the way, ShepFan, what is your reaction to "Frog blast the vent core!"?

xander

I knew it.

Damn mothers!

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
ShepFan
level2
level2

Postby ShepFan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:00 am

xander wrote:That quote is a way of knowing how long a person has been using a Mac. Anyone that remembers when that game came out will run screaming when they hear "Frog blast the vent core!"

xander

I bought one of the "first 90 day" 128K Macs, does that count? But all it ran at first was MacPaint, MacWrite, Microsoft BASIC, and Microsoft Excel. In those days I played and wrote games for the Apple // family. When my employer packed up the company and moved to Texas in 1988, the local game programmer market dried up, and I moved on to biotech software engineering. I'd overdosed on gaming by that point, and never got hooked again until a few months ago with Darwinia. Thankfully! :) Now I have to find a new obses... I mean, hobby.

-ShepFan
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:05 pm

I liked Marathon 2. I fooled with the physics in a way that let me perform inertialess flight techniques completely by accident!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:38 am

skull13 wrote:I liked Marathon 2. I fooled with the physics in a way that let me perform inertialess flight techniques completely by accident!

Marathon 2 was an abortion. Both the original and Infinity were much, much better. Marathon 2 made my eyes bleed.

xander
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:40 pm

Well then, that is your opinion. I don't care about your opinion and I won't be offended by it!
nfreader
level1
level1

Postby nfreader » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:41 pm

xander wrote:
skull13 wrote:I liked Marathon 2. I fooled with the physics in a way that let me perform inertialess flight techniques completely by accident!

Marathon 2 was an abortion. Both the original and Infinity were much, much better. Marathon 2 made my eyes bleed.

xander

HERESY!
I'll have your head for that!
Infinity was so confusing, no story value what so ever. I suggest playing Rubicon.
Back to the topic:

I swing both ways: I've got an Intel MacBook and a PowerMac G5 (tower).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:38 pm

nfreader wrote:
xander wrote:

xander

HERESY!
I'll have your head for that!
Infinity was so confusing, no story value what so ever. I suggest playing Rubicon.
Back to the topic:

I swing both ways: I've got an Intel MacBook and a PowerMac G5 (tower).

Rubicon is quite good. Infinity was great. Marathon 2 sucked donkey balls.

xander
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:53 pm

P-P-P-Powerbook!

EDIT: Why are you all talking about the games as if they are dead? Present tense will do nicely.
Last edited by KingAl on Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:13 pm

<snip>
Last edited by daset on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
chadr
level0

Postby chadr » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:00 pm

I have all PPC at the moment, but I'll be upgrading my desktop mac next month, and work should be replacing my mac laptop before too much longer. So... PPC heading towards intel.
nikeplektrum
level1
level1

Postby nikeplektrum » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:46 pm

Got like 6 macs and 1 pc =/

The big question is, can I usem the same key for the mac?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:52 pm

nikeplektrum wrote:Got like 6 macs and 1 pc =/

The big question is, can I usem the same key for the mac?

That is a really good question, and one that I am having trouble getting answered. ASW has their own registration scheme. In the past, they have made it very difficult for Windows users to use the same "key" as Mac users (and vice versa). For instance, you can use the same data files to play the Win or Linux versions of Darwinia, but, even with legitimate data files or the CD, you have to buy a new license for Mac. At first blush, I would imagine that Defcon won't be any different, except for the metaserver. Defcon authentication is handled by the metaserver, so I would think that, as long as you have a valid key, you should be able to play. From ASW's perspective, I can see how that would be a problem, as they are going to be investing some time and money on the Mac port, and would loose a good number of sales because of people like me who already have the Win version, and just use the same key. I guess the best answer that I can provide at the moment is: time will tell :)

xander
bombed
level0

Postby bombed » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:58 pm

Can't say I'm to worried about paying for the Mac version when it comes out even though I've paid for the Windows copy as well. I'm looking forward to having Defcon on my better computer

G4 Powerbook if you're after any beta testers ;-)

Return to “Introversion Lounge”