Good, I mean GOOD retro vector game-remakes.

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Mef
level2
level2

Postby Mef » Wed May 03, 2006 11:09 pm

I know I'm so bad for double-posting (oh xander please don't yell at me...) but I recently found a pearl among trash and am willing to share the good news (halleluya man!):

http://ainc.de/Games.htm - Tsunami 2010, excellent Tempest remake - total eye candy and good scene_type music (even additional tunes to download and supports custom mucic as well). About the same 'cool level' as Gridwars (mentioned before as great example of good modern remake).

Screenshot:Image
The game won 96k (96k!!!) compo on 2003...
ghostDancer
level2
level2

Postby ghostDancer » Thu May 04, 2006 1:11 am

hey yo can give a try to this one Torus Trooper

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/tt_e.html

and they have some more games in their page

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html

i hope you like them, there are versions for linux too
Mef
level2
level2

Postby Mef » Thu May 04, 2006 2:23 am

"Neon" style rox :twisted:

Many thanks

:moans "more..." in the same style as zombies moan "brains...":
Durandal
level0

Postby Durandal » Thu May 04, 2006 1:56 pm

I think this came up in the old thread, but Ovine's remake of the C64 game Cholo is great, though you seem to be focused mainly on arcade games so it might not be your thing, really. (BTW, anyone still have a working C64? I've got one of those "portable" executive deals, at the least, and maybe a "normal" one too if I can ever find it. Not to mention my Atari 2600 is still in working condition :D ) I guess Cholo isn't exactly a vector game since the polygons are filled, but still, nice retro feel to it and a good game to boot. Ovine's other remakes are nice too, but nothing else even close to a vector game, really. I enjoyed Imogen though.

Also, not a remake at all and not really vector, but it is arcadey and has a sort of retro styling to it, so you might like every extend. A good summary of the game is that the goal is to blow yourself up causing the largest chain reaction you can, hopefully netting yourself extra lives in addition to points. :shock: Great fun.
Mef
level2
level2

Postby Mef » Thu May 04, 2006 2:34 pm

though you seem to be focused mainly on arcade games so it might not be your thing, really.

No, not really - it just happened that most classics are arcades, since nothing more sophisticated was possible back then (with few exceptions).

isn't exactly a vector game since the polygons are filled, but still, nice retro feel

It doesn't need to be "pure"vector - it's just the matter of flashy "neon" style typical for vector classics, great playability, preferably scene music and in case of arcades - insane pacing

All in all, very nice work finding these ones - Thanks. I have C64 in great shape but power supply is smoked :cry: and well, in Poland disk drives were quite unaccessible so I'm stuck with Datasette - all of this causing me to use emulator instead of original machine.

(I also have working ZX Spectrum, Atari XL/XE and Polish computer MERITUM also build on Z80 - All 3 from my Grandpa who loved them very much back in 80's)

Contribute more and more people 'till Mef burns himself a CD with remakes collection... :evil scientist/madman/"ruler of universe wannabe" chuckle:
READY:
MEF

?SYNTAX ERROR
Durandal
level0

Postby Durandal » Thu May 04, 2006 6:52 pm

You could probably fix the power supply, actually, though finding a disk drive probably isn't worth it.

In fact, a quick google search turned up this Finnish website with a C64 service manual. The page I linked there has the circuit diagram for the power supply, along with a description. So long as it's only a power supply problem, you should be able to get that C64 working again, and have true SID sound. Or I guess you could buy a hardSID card and just pull the chip from your C64. Whatever.
Mef
level2
level2

Postby Mef » Thu May 04, 2006 8:00 pm

I have propably all posible manuals/ fix guides/ error faqs but this gives me shit since I am not talking about broken internal power supply part(s) like the common SID related failure You pointed. I am talking about AC adapter, I mean THIS thingy:
Sorry I did not express my thoughts better before but aparently my english still isn't as good as it should be...

Also:
1) some 10 maybe 15 of my casettes survived to this day and I have almost no way to acquire new ones.
2) disk drive IS essential when You want to play really cool stuff (Turican, Last Ninja, Alter Ego etc).
3) this however does not concern me coz I wouldn't have any disk version games
4) there are 15000+ games and utils in various formats on the net...
So I'd better stick to emulator :P

P.S. Don't Google, there isn't any better site with C64 documentation:
http://project64.c64.org/index.htm

Return to “Introversion Lounge”