Will Fallout 3 suck?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Gravitron
level3
level3

Will Fallout 3 suck?

Postby Gravitron » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:31 pm

I start to fear more and more...
iGAME...on the PC
Luigi300
level5
level5

Postby Luigi300 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:54 pm

Let's see.

Sequel to the sequel in an established franchise? Check.

Well, there's your answer.
Luigi for mod in 2006!
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:22 am

If it is like Elder Scrolls 3 at all, someone will be getting crucified.

They'd better not fuck it up. I'd rather it wasn't made than it getting made shittily.
Mef
level2
level2

Ahhh

Postby Mef » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:29 am

Always the latest Fallout related news... http://www.nma-fallout.com/ >> Fallot3 section is what You people are looking for...
READY:
MEF

?SYNTAX ERROR
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:30 am

That's why I have their RSS feed linked to Thunderbird!

Shame Van Buren got canned.
Gravitron
level3
level3

Postby Gravitron » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:33 am

Oh gee, Mef discovered south America.

I remember when the original owner was around, instead of the current dickhead.
iGAME...on the PC

Mef
level2
level2

Postby Mef » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:16 am

Duh - I thought You are some Fallout-noobs :wink: Sorry for proving SO DUMB :oops:

Anyway
If it is like Elder Scrolls 3 at all, someone will be getting crucified.
- shame it's so propable :evil:
Gravitron
level3
level3

Postby Gravitron » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:19 pm

Good chances they'll make it like elder scrolls, especially if oblivion makes a good cut in the bottom of their fiscal line.
For one thing, it's easier to port FPSes to multiple consoles, not just PC, and they'll want to port it.

Lets face it, we know it's coming, we don't want to believe it, but deep down we know Van Buren is dead for good and FO is fucked forever; RIP BlackIsle.

FO3 premonition:
Quest #1: Close mutant hellgate 1
Quest #2: Close raiders hellgate 2
Quest #20: Close XXX hellgate 20

Sigh.
iGAME...on the PC

Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:20 pm

Anyone who thinks they are going to make Fallout like Elder Scrolls just because TES is successful is deluding themselves.

Also, Oblivion isnt a FPS, and saying that it is is simply a sign of ignorance.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:27 pm

Oblivion is by far one of the best games I have played in several years. I don't see how using the Oblivion engine would be bad thing for virtually any game. It is a very, very well done engine. :)
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:33 pm

I didnt say it would be a bad thing, but the fact is that Fallout and TES are completely different games. Hell, i'd go as far as saying they aren't even the same genre. From what I know about how Oblivion's engine works, it would be more effort to try and convert it for a game like Fallout than it would be to create something from scratch.

And yeah, Oblivion is pretty awesome, although recent decisions by Bethesda have somewhat marred their reputation.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:41 pm

I tend to think they would be adapting Fallout more towards the engine. Fallout needs a face lift and using the Oblivion engine could do that very well. The Oblivion engine is in my eyes the best general purpose engine out there at the moment. I think it could easily be used to create virtually any game with very pleasing results. Writing an engine of that level is a very, very long and difficult process (not to mention expensive). I think it is only natural that developers try to reuse existing engines as much as possible. :)
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:11 pm

Well, I just have to say Oblivion sucked just about as much as Half-Life 2 or any other "mega game" out on the market. Probably Fallout will suck, too. Just another cookie cutter game with extra money poured into it.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:23 pm

I think virtually everyone will disagree with you there. It is true that Oblivion is a fairly standard RPG, however the evolution of the RPG is in making it more immersive and more free-form. Oblivion is a huge leap forward in both those categories. It is all about the details, and the details are exquisit. :)
Gravitron
level3
level3

Postby Gravitron » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:39 pm

Icepick wrote:Anyone who thinks they are going to make Fallout like Elder Scrolls just because TES is successful is deluding themselves.

Also, Oblivion isnt a FPS, and saying that it is is simply a sign of ignorance.

Sorry about that.
I've grown an unhealthy habbit of classifying anything which display is non-2D/Isometric as a FPS, out of contempt.

What's the correct term then? TPS? Well, it's not a shooter, so...TPP - Third Person Perspective?
I dunno...I ain't made for this 3D thing.
Too much locked in the old school.

Personally, I find general public oppinion to be something sort of normal sheep masses...which is just fine for the game's makers because this is probably the audience they were aiming for so if they please them all is good.
But I look for more, for better...some answer my needs, some don't.
Although I've found that in some areas of life, things that too many people like, are over hyped and cater to a rather low-common-dominator (with an equally matching quality).

some dude on another forum I visit wrote:I can essentially sum up my opinion of Oblivion in five words: Thank God for modding communities.

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:The Oblivion engine is in my eyes the best general purpose engine out there at the moment. I think it could easily be used to create virtually any game with very pleasing results.

Somehow I very much highly doubt it.
As always, the same recursive problem of this industry, they show you an eye candy and you become their slobbering slave.
Not that I've peered into their editing tools or source code, but my assumption of having seen better feature designed engines might not be a fiction.
Eitherway, I highly doubt it could easily create any game.
A game's engine, unless made purely by a 100% volunteer non-profit team with a non-commercial end goal in mind, is made and in such regard featurized-coded to a certain elements the game requires and no more, quite often with large portions of it being made in stiff hardcode instead of modular and outside settings input driven.
Last edited by Gravitron on Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iGAME...on the PC

Return to “Introversion Lounge”