Picture Wars!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
User avatar
trickfred
level5
level5
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:01 am
Location: The Great White North, Eh?
Contact:

Postby trickfred » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:41 pm

dondarm wrote:Image


Image

Death by molten lava, blown SFX budget, shitty script rewrites, diva movie star, stupid Alien dog, or David Fincher. You decide.

(I actually had to put that shitty DVD in my computer to get that grab. I hope you're all happy. I feel so unclean. >:P )
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:57 pm

trickfred wrote:Death by molten lava, blown SFX budget, shitty script rewrites, diva movie star, stupid Alien dog, or David Fincher. You decide.

(I actually had to put that shitty DVD in my computer to get that grab. I hope you're all happy. I feel so unclean. >:P )

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I actually like Alien 3. It was a very different film from the first two (but the second was very different from the first, so I am not sure that it matters). It was not a perfect film, but I rather like it. Of course, I also think that Star Trek: The Motion Picture is the best of the Star Trek movies :)

xander
User avatar
trickfred
level5
level5
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:01 am
Location: The Great White North, Eh?
Contact:

Postby trickfred » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:11 pm

xander wrote:
trickfred wrote:Death by molten lava, blown SFX budget, shitty script rewrites, diva movie star, stupid Alien dog, or David Fincher. You decide.

(I actually had to put that shitty DVD in my computer to get that grab. I hope you're all happy. I feel so unclean. >:P )

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I actually like Alien 3. It was a very different film from the first two (but the second was very different from the first, so I am not sure that it matters). It was not a perfect film, but I rather like it. Of course, I also think that Star Trek: The Motion Picture is the best of the Star Trek movies :)

xander


...Sure, on days when you forget to take your medication!

You should read the original William Gibson script - awesomeness, but not economically feasible back then - it'd be a cinch to do it today though; special effects are obviously much cheaper - look at Serenity. Alien 3 was a travesty; they went through too many versions of the script while filming, and blew their budget before completion. They sewed up what they had to make it coherent as possible. Plus, Sigourney Weaver didn't help much, with her constant diva-like requests for changes, then demanding to be killed at the end, so she wouldn't have to do another one. Of course, she turned up broke a few years later and begged for another movie/job... :roll:

I hated the fact that Hicks and Newt were killed off immediately - she spent the last movie saving their asses, and that totally ruins the movie for me right off the bat, not even taking into account the dozen other problems I had with it.

The only scene in the entire movie that I do like, was in the cafeteria when the guy gets sucked up into the ceiling quite unexpectedly, and when everyone is silent, the other guy stands there and says "Fuck!", very over-exaggeratedly. That makes me crack up every time, even now just thinking about it. :D

(I won't even TOUCH ST:TMP, other than to say at least it wasn't as bad as ST5!)
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:30 pm

trickfred wrote:I hated the fact that Hicks and Newt were killed off immediately - she spent the last movie saving their asses, and that totally ruins the movie for me right off the bat, not even taking into account the dozen other problems I had with it.

But if Hicks and Newt had been around, it wouldn't have been the same movie. Try this -- take Alien 3 out of the context of the other Alien movies. You don't know who Newt is, it doesn't really matter. Assume that she has been introduced in a Star Wars style scroller, and is now dead. Would you care, then? The script is far from perfect, and the film is flawed, but it is not, in my opinion, the travesty that so many people think that it is. You are judging the film based upon what you think it should have been -- as a part of the Alien series, and based upon another script -- not on what it is. Try watching it again, but forget what you know about its background. It is not a perfect movie, but it is entertaining, and really isn't that bad.

trickfred wrote:(I won't even TOUCH ST:TMP, other than to say at least it wasn't as bad as ST5!)

I think that the same thing applies. ST:TMP would probably be considered one of the better sci-fi made, if it were not set in the Trek universe. It has a great story (even if that story is taken from a Trek episode), the FX are fairly spectacular for the time. The only problem is that the acting is so sup-par. Though that same criticism could be made of all of the Trek films with the original cast.

Now, I am not going to argue this, because it is a matter of taste, and there is no accounting for that, but I really think that you should try to seperate both of those films from the franchises that they represent. You might enjoy them more :)

xander
User avatar
trickfred
level5
level5
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:01 am
Location: The Great White North, Eh?
Contact:

Postby trickfred » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:14 pm

xander wrote:Now, I am not going to argue this, because it is a matter of taste, and there is no accounting for that, but I really think that you should try to seperate both of those films from the franchises that they represent. You might enjoy them more :)

xander


Well, I thought about it, and... Uh... no, I wouldn't.

If you remove them from their respective franchises, then all that is left is the concept of the plot. Both plots might have beeen okay if done by someone else, with different actors, a different setting, improved writing, etc... but then they cease to be the same movie. If you have to start removing things you don't like from a movie in your mind to get through it, then did you really like it in the first place?
User avatar
Serathii
level2
level2
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 11:24 pm
Contact:

Postby Serathii » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:46 pm

trickfred wrote:
Image

Death by molten lava, blown SFX budget, shitty script rewrites, diva movie star, stupid Alien dog, or David Fincher. You decide.

(I actually had to put that shitty DVD in my computer to get that grab. I hope you're all happy. I feel so unclean. >:P )



Nothing to say when something like that happens, except:


Image
User avatar
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:14 pm
Location: Västerås, Sweden
Contact:

Postby ScareyedHawk » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:02 pm

Image
User avatar
Serathii
level2
level2
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 11:24 pm
Contact:

Postby Serathii » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:05 pm

Image
User avatar
SuVir
level2
level2
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:15 pm
Location: En-ger-land

Postby SuVir » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:07 pm

Enough is enough. I have had it with these mother****ing snakes in these mother****ing bananas!
User avatar
Serathii
level2
level2
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 11:24 pm
Contact:

Postby Serathii » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:21 pm

Well you can't have a banana come out of a snake, can you?
It just has to be this way.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:40 pm

Image

^^ Beats snakes, but is beaten by vv

Image

xander
User avatar
Serathii
level2
level2
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 11:24 pm
Contact:

Postby Serathii » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:47 pm

I know a better ray...
Image
(Sign isn't an entry.)
Image
User avatar
DrDemento
level2
level2
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:51 pm
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Postby DrDemento » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:52 am

SuVir wrote:Enough is enough. I have had it with these mother****ing snakes in these mother****ing bananas!


I don't care who's in that movie, it sounds sooo stupid that it just HAS to be good! Anyone seen it yet?
User avatar
Serathii
level2
level2
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 11:24 pm
Contact:

Postby Serathii » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:04 pm

I heard it got bad reviews.

My friend saw it, I'll ask him.
User avatar
DrDemento
level2
level2
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:51 pm
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Postby DrDemento » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:41 pm

I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be a spoof, but I can see how it could be taken to be one!

Return to “Introversion Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests