Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:30 pm

I only played the Overlord demo. It forced you to HELP people. Which, I admit, is not on the list of things evil overlords should not do, but still.

Regarding Last Guardian, yeah. Although it looks like one of those games where you can just appreciate its existence without ever playing it. That reminds me, got to play the Path demo.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:34 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:I only played the Overlord demo. It forced you to HELP people. Which, I admit, is not on the list of things evil overlords should not do, but still.

I think that's the first part of the full game. What actually happens is that you save people, earn their trust, and after that you're free to loot all of what they have and slaughter them like animals. Hehe. :P Helping actually happens in quite some ways in the entire game (including Raising Hell) and all of them basically aren't much more than ways to earn people's trust in order to get what you want (money, power, and watching people burn, presumably).

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:19 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:...got to play the Path demo.

Oi! I actually bought that game, and haven't played it yet. I need to get to that.

xander
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:31 pm

Wooyay, Revenge of the Sith finished. I'm slightly confused because I thought they were actually doing pretty well in tieing together the last loose ends between II and IV until about halfway through, when everything just went absolutely bonkers. The action scenes left me profoundly indifferent (I was watching while nothing but "meh" was bouncing around my head for a while) since the tension is absolutely nowhere to be found - a battle is not interesting to watch if you already know both parties will still be alive at the end of it. The whole scene with how Anaking turned into a zombie (basically) seemed a little over-the-top and ridiculous, but I guess it will suffice. Additionally, while Portman was once of the best actors of the prequel trilogy (in my opinion) the last scene realy killed it for me, when she was saying names for the babies like she was hastily trying to fill out the last few blanks the plot had left.

Oh well, I'm not sure why I'm typing all this, I'm just echoing what everyone else is saying about the prequel trilogy. That being said, I think they're better than I expected after all the huge criticism I heard about them, with the exception of Episode I which was atrocious.

Right, back to the Sarah Connor Chronicles I guess. And the loads of anime I still have left.

Jelco
Last edited by jelco on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:33 pm

Action scenes were meh bar one. Anakin vs Obi-wan. Excellent fight.

Also awesome keyboard is awesome.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:22 pm

jelco wrote:
martin wrote:did you ever play the original overlord? in my opinion it was quite disappointing - mostly due to fairly bad game design (big complex areas with no kind of map etc etc)

I love Overlord! (And not just because it was a Dutch developer. :P) Raising Hell was just about the better expansion pack I'd seen in recent years. Can't wait for Overlord 2.

With regards to the TLG trailer, vanarbulax linked to one not too long ago. Looks lovely.

Jelco

I didn't get the expansion pack, because the original game was so annoying - it was a good concept with a bad implementation

mibias wrote:There's often a 15-30 second add video that appears before the real video is shown to you. An advertisement for overlord 2 often appears in this advertising-space.

Once xander started being confused I guessed it was that. I must admit I was a bit surprised xander would like overlord that much ;)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:21 am

vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:18 am

Two problems I have with this presentation:

1. It's coming from Peter Molyneux who is pretty much the biggest hand waver ever, promising the world at not delivering it. While he has cool ideas he oversells them waaaayyy to much (Really Peter, since fiction writers never imagined a tarted up text parser? We've had those since Zork, admittedly this uses face recognition, voice recognition, inflection and what not but I bet you it still won't understand 90% you say unless you keep to a specific syntax it wants).

2. Cool tech demo but they're releasing this as a game. If I want to talk to some kid who won't listen to half the things I say, I'd just find one in really life.

While it's fairly neat I reckon it'll have the lasting appeal that Facade had, fun to "play" properly the first couple of times, then a couple of times trying to "break" the system, then complete loss of interest.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:35 am

I hate to be the conspiracy theorist but look at the direction the kid is looking. Look at somebody on a TV looking directly at you. Because it's just a flat screen, no matter where you are in the room this person is still going to appear to be looking directly at you. The kid is looking off to one side from our point of view, and therefore is looking off to one side from the point of view of the woman doing the demo. She's also a very poor actress, which leads me to suggest that most of the stuff being demo'd there is rigged.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:19 am

RabidZombie wrote:Please add your suggestions. I don't know many good mods.

Natural Selection

xander wrote:I knew this was going to happen at some time or another, but I actually have a reason to buy a PS3 now. Or, at least, I will when this is actually released. Damn.

xander

Thanks! I had seen the previous trailer, but this one is more detailed. :)
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:11 am

vanarbulax wrote:It's coming from Peter Molyneux who is pretty much the biggest hand waver ever, promising the world at not delivering it.

Very true. Molyneux has the tendancy to overstate the game's eventual capabilities, ending up at about 50% of made promises with a few nasty catches alongside. Nevertheless, I like watching these techdemos just to keep 'dreaming' about how AI and whatever-recognition can become in the future.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:46 am

prophile wrote:I hate to be the conspiracy theorist
You don't need to be one to make the Molyneux+Microsoft => 'overenthusiastic' announcement conclusion.
Me, I'll believe that better motion based control leads to better games when I see it. If the Wiimote would have better motion detection right away, Wii Sports would have to ignore most of it, or you would never ever be able to hit the ball in any of the game modes. Well, except for bowling, maybe. People will notice that soon enough with that Motion Plus thing.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:10 am

Phelanpt wrote:

Natural Selection

Sorry, but as much as I love Natural Selection, it's not got a story mode. :P
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:40 am

RabidZombie wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:

Natural Selection

You didn't mention story mode. :P
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:42 am

Phelanpt wrote:
RabidZombie wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:

Natural Selection

You didn't mention story mode. :P

Oh whoops. I edited that bit out. :S

Return to “Introversion Lounge”