Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Uhhh, it's a motorbike dealer and I'm the only IT guy there - not many promotion prospects.

Can parsley really cover the smell of garlic?
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:22 pm

Baww.
Holiday's almost over. Lazying my ass out, the final day.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:37 pm

MaximusBrood wrote:Baww.
Holiday's almost over. Lazying my ass out, the final day.

Lulz, I'm unemployed. Everyday is lazy day.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:50 pm

/me hates school.
/me hates school to hell.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:05 pm

I shouted out who killed the kennedys, when after all it was a brain tumor.

bad joke
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:32 pm

Welcome back Jelco :)

(oh, and I have been on a almost-evangelical mission this summer (it's nothing personal :roll:) to get rid of the disturbingly commonly held myth about catching the cold because of cold weather: it is not possible to get ill only because you didn't put enough clothes on or had a 'cold breeze on your neck'. The common cold is a virus, and doesn't put itself into your nose along a cold breeze. Amen.)

Now join IRC, after you get the best of that pesky flu :P
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:11 pm

MaximusBrood wrote:(oh, and I have been on a almost-evangelical mission this summer (it's nothing personal :roll:) to get rid of the disturbingly commonly held myth about catching the cold because of cold weather: it is not possible to get ill only because you didn't put enough clothes on or had a 'cold breeze on your neck'. The common cold is a virus, and doesn't put itself into your nose along a cold breeze. Amen.)

Now join IRC, after you get the best of that pesky flu :P

Hurummph!

Also, Jelco was gone? O_o
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:21 pm

MaximusBrood wrote:The common cold is a virus, and doesn't put itself into your nose along a cold breeze.

What if somebody sneezes during a cold breeze, and you're down wind?
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:50 pm

Feud wrote:
MaximusBrood wrote:The common cold is a virus, and doesn't put itself into your nose along a cold breeze.

What if somebody sneezes during a cold breeze, and you're down wind?
Well, that would be gross and may lead to a small shouting fight depending on the kind of person you are. :D
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:31 am

... and a cold.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:09 am

MaximusBrood wrote:(oh, and I have been on a almost-evangelical mission this summer (it's nothing personal :roll:) to get rid of the disturbingly commonly held myth about catching the cold because of cold weather: it is not possible to get ill only because you didn't put enough clothes on or had a 'cold breeze on your neck'. The common cold is a virus, and doesn't put itself into your nose along a cold breeze. Amen.)
Not -just- by not wearing enough clothes and being cold. But reducing core body temperature will effect your immune system, thus make you more susceptible.

Feeling cold + being somewhere with lots of strangers = almost guaranteed sneezles
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:18 am

Cooper42 wrote:Not -just- by not wearing enough clothes and being cold. But reducing core body temperature will effect your immune system, thus make you more susceptible.

Feeling cold + being somewhere with lots of strangers = almost guaranteed sneezles

Ah, that's always the second argument reasonably-sane people hang on to when they notice that the common cold is indeed caused by a virus. There is actually pretty much nothing your body can do against a relatively new strain of cold in the early stages; it first has to build up an army of killer- and B-cells specially crafted to get rid of that specific virus. Once the virus has invaded one cell and is creating copies of itself, the 'non-specific' part of your immune system is defenseless. Furthermore, your core body temperature is so tightly regulated it will stay on 'operating temperature' even if you can barely use your hands because of the cold; you won't get that cold; you'd feel very sick (and that isn't because of a virus ;)).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:20 pm

MaximusBrood: when it is cold out, there is less water vapor in the air. This means that when someone sneezes, the droplets of water that are produced remain small, and are not coated in water that is already suspended in the air. Because the droplets stay small, they can be suspended in the atmosphere longer, thus are more likely to find other people. As the droplets are likely laden with virus, cold temperatures lead to infection. On the other hand, when it is warm out, there is more water vapor in the air, leading to larger droplets that fall to the ground more quickly, thus less infection.

xander
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:38 pm

xander wrote:MaximusBrood: when it is cold out, there is less water vapor in the air. This means that when someone sneezes, the droplets of water that are produced remain small, and are not coated in water that is already suspended in the air. Because the droplets stay small, they can be suspended in the atmosphere longer, thus are more likely to find other people. As the droplets are likely laden with virus, cold temperatures lead to infection. On the other hand, when it is warm out, there is more water vapor in the air, leading to larger droplets that fall to the ground more quickly, thus less infection.

xander

Although this does imply that walking in the rain is not likely to give a cold. Contrary to popular belief (associated to the being cold one)

EDIT: Also, for some stupid reason I got this song stuck in my head.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:01 pm

I squeezed the liver.

Priceless.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “Introversion Lounge”