Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:08 pm

I bought a fender squier jazz bass.
now I just have to learn how to play it decently
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:59 am

xyzyxx wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:
xyzyxx wrote:The third episode was disappointing. I often enjoy unexpected twists in a story, but not such a blatant (and unexpected) sad ending as this.

Just watched it.
I didn't find it that disappointing, although I definitely wasn't expecting it. It's weird caring for characters this much, and being so shocked and sad when they die/go evil. :(
Is it Joss Whedon's style to come up with the worst (saddest) possible ending? Nobody is happy in the end. Both the hero and villain are defeated, so to speak.

I also wasn't disappointed. I mean let's be honest, what really makes villains, villains? The really believable ones have some sort of 'excuse'. Maybe it's just the start?
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:08 am

Only a while to go. I am useless in work today till we know. Maybe I should have taken the day off.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:07 pm

Three blackbird chicks dead in two days and I feel like it's all my fault :(
Sunday 6 AM: the parents nesting outside our bedroom window make a lot of noise, waking me up. I go out and check, but see nothing, so I go back inside, assuming it's blackbirds fighting among each other.
Later that day, our upstairs neighbour is outside, screaming a bit, because one of the chicks had just fallen out of the nest. We see three of them. One is dead already, its head some meters away. Either a rat or a magpie got it already.
One looks healthy and developed enough to survive, so we catch it in a cardboard box, release it in a safer place of the backyard, and build a wall so it does not wander off (there's some stairs it would not be able to climb).
One is clearly not yet ready for the world outside the nest. There's still lots of naked skin, and it can't even sit on flat ground. We watch it from a distance, and it does not call out for its parents, so they ignore it. We take it inside and try to care for it, but we're not equipped for emergency bird feeding.
This morning, our other neighbour notices a squeaking coming from one of the cellar windows: somehow, the last chick must have gotten over the barrier and fallen down. Darn. The parents hear the screams, of course, but as far as we could tell, they didn't dare to fly down to their child. The owners of the cellar are not there, double darn. We break into the cellar (hint: a lock is useless if you can just screw off the hinges it fixes the door with), catch it again with the cardboard box, put it outside into the safe place, build a barrier in front of the window and "lock" the cellar again.
Some hours later, it's clear that it too will not call out for its parents any more. It just sits there and gets weaker and weaker. Maybe it was injured when we caught it, or just shocked (but the cardboard box method had worked twice before). We take it inside, too, but it's already too late to help.

Good news is that I found out how it got over the barrier. It didn't. The one that fell into the cellar was a fourth fledgling we missed earlier, it probably was hiding behind one of the large flower pots when we checked earlier. Judging from the parents' activity, the second one is still alive and well.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:08 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Three blackbird chicks dead in two days and I feel like it's all my fault :(

The first couple of times I read this sentence, I thought you were referring to goth girls. :\

xander
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:19 pm

xander wrote:
bert_the_turtle wrote:Three blackbird chicks dead in two days and I feel like it's all my fault :(

The first couple of times I read this sentence, I thought you were referring to goth girls. :\

xander
He probably wouldn't have been quite so sad if that were the case.

</joke taste="poor">
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:22 pm

If you replace "blackbird" for "goth" the story becomes rather amusing.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:44 pm

Funny that you mention it, there also appeared to be an invasion of those here on the last weekend. Coincidence? No way. I'll blame it on them with their satanic death cults then!
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:10 pm

We got the mortgage. :D
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:14 pm

Congrats, homeowner!
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:17 pm

Congratulations! :D
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Congratulations.

And, I must say that I've gotten stuck on she. The coloris track on the coloris album by far my favorite. Love the intro. The only complaint is that the tracks are way to short. *hits repeat button on winamp*
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:57 pm

Yay! Mortgages are fun!

xander
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Mortgages can be fun...we stick every spare penny in as overpayments (well apart from Cava, camera, California , IV game money :wink: )...it's a longer strategy but means we pay off the mortgage 12 years early and save about 60grand.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:20 pm

Rkiver wrote:We got the mortgage. :D

Huzzah! Congratulations, I want to get a mortgage sometime....

Return to “Introversion Lounge”