Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:40 pm

let us know if you get fired and/or assumed to have quit
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:02 am

Behold, the crane: (yes, it even turns 360)'

koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:35 am

You've built it too close to the wall, it won't turn anywhere without hitting it. Should have put it on rails so you can roll it backward and forwards.

Probably a bit late now, you'll need to build a bigger crane to lift the smaller one onto the rails.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:46 am

koshensky wrote:Should have put it on rails so you can roll it backward and forwards.

Hmm, I didn't think of doing that. I shall have to send in the demo crew and start over ... in a week or so.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:19 am

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/the-zomb ... of-america

This will get you killed.

They ran gross numbers, rather than figuring out how those numbers actually applied by ratio. For example, Hopper is saying that California is great since it has so many gun stores. But it has one gun store for every 17,000 people, Idaho has one for every 1,700. Sure, on paper California's number is larger. But in practice? Goodbye Hollywood.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:26 am

Well, I live in #5 and was born in #3, so I think I'm good. I mean, Rick survived Atlanta being a total idiot; he even missed an opportunity to drive a tank through zombies (assuming it had fuel, etc).

Also, DayZ and (maybe) WarZ look like fun.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:21 pm

I don't know, looks kind of fair to me. I think the key thing is to make sure you've got your guns prior to the outbreak. There's nothing more awkward than needing to go out into a zombie apocalypse to buy yourself a sniper rifle because you weren't prepared.

Obviously the gun thing is pretty useful, but it looks to give much more weight to military bases and hospitals - which are much more useful in the long term. The last thing you need is a bunch of looters with guns shooting each other for the last loaf of bread.

Then again the military always sucks at stopping zombies, so maybe that wouldn't work.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Wouldn't less hospitals be safer? They will wind up being completely over run by zombies and survivors so they are dangerous places.
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:40 pm

Feud wrote:http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/the-zombie-states-of-america

They ran gross numbers, rather than figuring out how those numbers actually applied by ratio. For example, Hopper is saying that California is great since it has so many gun stores. But it has one gun store for every 17,000 people, Idaho has one for every 1,700. Sure, on paper California's number is larger. But in practice? Goodbye Hollywood.

Zombies are harmless as individuals or in small groups---they are too slow to be dangerous (unless they are 28 Days Later rage-zombies). Hence the greatest danger is from large groups of zombies. Large groups of zombies form in areas of high population density, i.e. New York, LA, Chicago, &c. The safest place to be is far, far away from other people. Even better is a place where it is possible to grow things. Scavenging supplies only works for so long---you are better off in a place like the rural Midwest. Also, guns are overrated in a zombie apocalypse---you are better off with a bladed weapon or baseball (cricket) bat. A gun with no ammo is useless, and they make too much noise.

zjoere wrote:Wouldn't less hospitals be safer? They will wind up being completely over run by zombies and survivors so they are dangerous places.

I believe that the idea is that hospitals contain supplies. One would not want to be in a hospital, one simply wants to be near a hospital.

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:54 pm

xander wrote:Zombies are harmless as individuals or in small groups---they are too slow to be dangerous (unless they are 28 Days Later rage-zombies). Hence the greatest danger is from large groups of zombies. Large groups of zombies form in areas of high population density, i.e. New York, LA, Chicago, &c. The safest place to be is far, far away from other people. Even better is a place where it is possible to grow things. Scavenging supplies only works for so long---you are better off in a place like the rural Midwest. Also, guns are overrated in a zombie apocalypse---you are better off with a bladed weapon or baseball (cricket) bat. A gun with no ammo is useless, and they make too much noise.

I agree with all of this, except with the issue of being better off with a bladed weapon or bat.

I certainly think that a bladed weapon should be had on hand regardless of if you have a firearm. Quiet, effective, doesn't run out of ammo. But, depending on the gun, if it runs out of bullets it is still a big hunk of wood and metal, and a highly effective bat. Put a bayonet on the end, you've got yourself a poker.

Just have to choose your tools properly. ;)
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:20 am

The mere existence of the Humble THQ Bundle is both interesting and worrying.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:01 am

Xocrates wrote:The mere existence of the Humble THQ Bundle is both interesting and worrying.

I prefer the term "frustrating", as I have three finals, three receptions, a wedding, moving, a honeymoon, and Christmas in the next four weeks. Free time, what's that?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:11 am

Just means you don't take full advantage of Steam sales :P

Still kind of tempted to get it for the soundtracks though.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:02 pm

Feud wrote:http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/the-zombie-states-of-america

It shows a distinct lack of any kind of geographical reasoning.

I would like to know not only gun shops / supermarkets per population, but per square mile too (i.e: How far will I need to go to find the next one if the one I'm at is unsafe / already cleared).

It also doesn't provide details on how urban a state is. Like xander says, urban areas are likely to be the most dangerous.

Some states / counties have an 80% and above level of urban population. Others are much, much more distributed. This is meaningful not only for the relative safety of an area, but in realtion to the shop stas: In more rural areas I'm more likely to find weapon stores and supermarkets in less densely populated (and thus safer) areas.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:06 pm

Zombies have super human strength, I would rather have a gun and fight from a distance then go hand to hand combat.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”