Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Jordy... wrote: we want to believe in a society that we can form at our whims

I kinda like a society that is a bit more slow to change than that. There is stability in a society that doesn't change with every fickle notion and popular notion.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:54 pm

In case you're wondering why you were briefly banned this (European) morning, that was me! I did it because I hate you all!

(No, sorry, I picked the wrong priority between diligence and speed when banning a bestiality spammer. I got him, though!)
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:00 pm

We love you too bert. You and your rather coarse banhammer. :)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:10 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:In case you're wondering why you were briefly banned this (European) morning, that was me! I did it because I hate you all!

(No, sorry, I picked the wrong priority between diligence and speed when banning a bestiality spammer. I got him, though!)

You stupid ass-hole. Hey Bert! If I recall correctly you are a board-gamer? I was wondering if you ever played Dominant Species and whether you play on BSW? Or am I confusing things here and aren't you a board-gamer at all?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:39 pm

The problem with the word "normal" is that it does make explicit what "normal" is relative to. Normal people have jobs, get married, raise children, watch television, play computer games, and so on. When you refer to someone as "abnormal," there is a suggestion that they are incapable of participating in society in the way that a "normal" person would. Moreover, by claiming that someone is abnormal because they use a wheelchair or have autism, you are implicitly suggesting that the person is nothing more than their disability---you deny the entire range of human experience and replace it with a pigeonhole.

xander
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:29 pm

xander wrote:The problem with the word "normal" is that it does make explicit what "normal" is relative to. Normal people have jobs, get married, raise children, watch television, play computer games, and so on. When you refer to someone as "abnormal," there is a suggestion that they are incapable of participating in society in the way that a "normal" person would. Moreover, by claiming that someone is abnormal because they use a wheelchair or have autism, you are implicitly suggesting that the person is nothing more than their disability---you deny the entire range of human experience and replace it with a pigeonhole.

xander

I completely agree with the first part, and am even willing to buy into the second part, but I do think it's a little exaggerated.

I did deduct his sisters existence to her being handicapped, because it was relevant to my question. How does her handicap influenced her state of happiness compared to before her being handicapped, in the case she was not handicapped before.

But this does not mean I denied her entire range of human experiences and only focused on here inability to be normal. Rather, I was comparing the entire range of human experiences being handicapped to the entire range of experiences not being handicapped. And referencing to the standard as normal people, and the non-standard experience implicitly as abnormal.

In my opinion I did not spoke of her looking trough a pigeonhole, but much rather had an altered vision of her existence, which I think is entirely justified because she does deviate in an abnormal way from how mainstream people experience there lives.
And let's be honest, putting her on a plateau in front of the stage also stresses she is "different" or abnormal, because other people don't get such a luxury. And the possible extra attention she will get from the performers also stresses her difference. And I believe, in many cases, from what I've heard, handicapped people rather be dealt with normal, and not be treated with pity or euphemisms.

"When you refer to someone as "abnormal," there is a suggestion that they are incapable of participating in society in the way that a "normal" person would."
And I fail to see what is false about this suggestion?
Because someone in a wheelchair probably has a live that deviates quite hefty from normal people, not to least the dependence such a person has on other people. Raising children will be a lot harder, or impossible on your own, at least at certain age phases. And finding jobs will be harder and getting married, I imagine will also be harder.
But so what if someone fails to meet the standard? I hardly see how this can be seen as a offence to someone.

On contrary, I would be inspired and admire her if what I had heard would hold true.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:46 am

Frustrating fact in Napoleon: Total War- It doesn't matter if you have a six to one kill/death ration if they outnumber you seven to one. :(
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:51 am

I've finally gotten around to sorting out my finances by switching bank accounts and as a result I'll be netting more than £400 ($630) extra over the forthcoming year.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:21 pm

You know, I'm starting to wonder how much my college coleagues must hate me.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Have you been doing far too well in your tests again Xoc? :P
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Well, that too, but in this particular case was more because I spent an exercise class correcting everyone (including the teacher) and I was visibly the only one that had any idea what was wrong.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:27 pm

You were probably also the only person that was enjoying himself.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:18 am

The City Generator would make for an awesome screensaver.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:52 pm

microchip08 wrote:The City Generator would make for an awesome screensaver.
This came up in my mind as well. So awesome.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Off to reinstall Defcon now it's attached to my Steam account. There are an awful lot more deadlinks than I was expecting when it came round to installing my favourite mods.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”