Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:42 am

Don't watch it in 3D, simple!

Also, apparently Steve Jobs has just died.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:04 am

It's quite strange, having the same conversation in every single IRC channel at once.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:06 am

Hah, I can bet.

I'm not a fan of Apple products, nor was I fan of Steve Jobs, but dying of cancer at 56 is just awful.

At least his family has known for a while that it was only a matter of time, when my dad died of cancer it happened in about 3 months. :cry:
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:30 am

Great! I can't wait for Apple to now either stop being such fucking assholes or go completely out of business!
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:53 am

I doubt either will happen for a while at any rate.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:18 pm

This is one of those life changing events... I can still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard that Steve Jobs died...
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:26 pm

I read about it when I finally woke my lazy self up at noon.

...no, not exactly memorable.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:27 pm

I found out about it while reading twitter in class :P

In other news:

\o/

(doubt it will stay like that though, since I asked for the 30Mb line)

Whee look at those steam downloads go!
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:31 pm

In other news, I finally found someone to co-op Portal 2 with. I'm glad I did; the puzzles are so much better than single-player.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Feud wrote:This is one of those life changing events... I can still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard that Steve Jobs died...

Um, he was a purveyor of high-quality media consumption devices.

Unless I'm missing something?
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:31 pm

Well he did play a rather vital part in the popularization of household electronics that we deem impossible to live without nowadays. The personal computer, the portable music player, the smartphone, the tablet... He wasn't always the first and may not have got everything right on the first try, but he has managed to predict very well what people want and how to play into those needs. Part of this is because of the Apple cult which he has managed to build (everything's hip once Apple ventures into the market) but a significant other part is just plain vision.

I'm not a real Apple fan and definitely have some issues with just about any device they've made, but you simply can't deny the incredible impact the guy has had. You can try to diminish the honour by calling them 'consumption devices' but the fact remains that all that work has influenced a lot of stuff you use every day (indirectly Apple's influenced a lot of markets in ways that pushed other manufacturers in directions they're now pursuing).

Which is not to say I think his death is something to make such a big deal out of as is being done right now. Sure, the guy was important and I'm seriously doubtful about Apple's future success without this particular visionary on their side (I think they'll cope but they'll struggle), but just because he's been important in the past doesn't mean the world is suddenly falling apart without him.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:37 pm

shinygerbil wrote:
Feud wrote:This is one of those life changing events... I can still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard that Steve Jobs died...

Just the sarcasm. :wink:
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:46 pm

I have no problem with (most of) Apple's products. I think they're of high quality, and the fact that every other company is copying their products does have a reason. It's simply their complete disregard for the customer, and the fact that they make money from others' creations, that drives me insane. Also iTunes is a shiny pile of shit, and they force their iDevice customers to use is (the devices themselves are pretty smooth software-wise).
I live in Israel. I have an issue with iTunes. What are my options for customer service? You're free to look in Apple's website. Absolutely NOTHING. Nada. The only Israeli store chain that officially sells Apple products (called iDigital) would also only offer tech support during 3 months after purchase, and I think Apple does the same thing. Also Apple charges money for support. This is simply completely fucked up.
The only reason the iPhone and iPad are so successful is the App Store and its contents. While obviously I can't speak for other countries, I can tell you that I estimate 90% of iDevices in Israel are jailbroken, Installous included. This is not just a random number I threw out there, it's actually quite accurate. You know what, let's say 80%. People pay full price for Apple's obviously overpriced products, yet they decide not to pay the people who made the device actually worth buying - the app developers. Without the apps, the iDevices would be completely worthless. And sure, some people or even most people do pay for their apps, but even from that money Apple takes a surprisingly large amount. Apple are simply assholes.

I've been an owner of iPod Touch for I think a year and a half. However I have never and will never pay full price for an Apple product, ever. I got my first one (2nd gen) second hand from a friend, and my current one (4th gen 8 GB) from my ISP using a special deal involving upgrading our speed (which was of course a good thing), giving a very significant price drop (over 50% relative to Israel prices).
The only reason I have it is the wonderful selection of games it has, and I've never jailbroken the device. While it makes me mad every time I think most of the money went to Apple, I'm glad the developers at least get something for my enjoyment.

tl;dr Apple are asshole bitches, don't deserve a fucking penny.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:19 am

Feud wrote:
shinygerbil wrote:

Just the sarcasm. :wink:

Heh. I suspected as much. :P

jelco: I'm not denying his importance, just trying to put a sense of perspective on things. He was certainly no Nelson Mandela, or even Henry Ford. He's played a huge role in popularising gadgets, sure, and has definitely indirectly influenced a whole lot more, but I would be hesitant to say he truly changed the world. He didn't invent mobile phones or even portable music players - he was an iterator, a refiner, he polished things and made them idiot-proof and then sold them for lots of money. To paraphrase Eric Schmidt, he was the greatest entrepreneur who ever lived. His early MacIntosh computers were definitely more radical and revolutionary than the iPad for example, but they were certainly not unique.

Anyway, I feel bad slagging him off at this point. Nobody deserves to die of cancer at 56 or any age. :(
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Ok, is there any advantage in having a learning coding language be as obtuse as possible?

I'm currently learning scheme in class, and honestly the thing makes my blood boil. It's both hard to read and cumbersome to write, meaning I spend a lot more time trying to figure out where everything goes than what it actually does.

I get that it helps understand how the computer actually interprets the code, but I find it bizarre that knowing how it does it is more important than knowing what it does.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”