Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:49 pm

It is Christmas yayayayayq! Anyone here celebrates christmas as a barbarian ritual? Basically the Celts among other tribal nations among the year zero or so, I think, thought that the light comes into the dark on earth, a connection from the cosmos with the earth, the earth breathing in cosmic energy. December 21 is the day that there is the least sunlight on the northern hemisphere. So Christmas symbolizes light coming to earth for some people.

Anyone has heard of this and celebrates it with this intention?
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:22 am

My reasons for celebrating christmas?

1. It's a good excuse to get together with family and eat a lot of unhealthy food.
2. Presents are nice.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:24 am

Jordy... wrote:It is Christmas yayayayayq! Anyone here celebrates christmas as a barbarian ritual? Basically the Celts among other tribal nations among the year zero or so, I think, thought that the light comes into the dark on earth, a connection from the cosmos with the earth, the earth breathing in cosmic energy. December 21 is the day that there is the least sunlight on the northern hemisphere. So Christmas symbolizes light coming to earth for some people.

Anyone has heard of this and celebrates it with this intention?

There is pretty good evidence that solstice celebrations were co-opted by early Christians to create the holiday of Christmas. Most cultures, especially in high latitudes, celebrate the solstice (the shortest day of the year). As Christianity spread, the adopted many pagan traditions in an effort to get converts (Easter has a similar story).

xander
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:42 am

Yea, I've heard the same story, personally I like the pagan tradition and explanation better. The American tradition, in my eyes has stray far from the source, although coming together with family and friends enjoying your time is of course never a bad thing. Though I wish it could happen more often then just these holidays decided by a ....my lack in english vocabulary, prevents me from expressing what I think of the church..
harold32001
level0

Postby harold32001 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:29 am

{Eek, Greek spam!}
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:37 am

Reported.

In other news, should I buy two 500GB HDDs and RAID 0 'em, or should I buy one 1TB HDD?
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:13 am

microchip08 wrote:Reported.

In other news, should I buy two 500GB HDDs and RAID 0 'em, or should I buy one 1TB HDD?

1TB as a single drive. When you RAID 0 things, you reduce the MTBF of the array by the number of drives in it. So it's safer just to have a single 1TB HD.

NeoThermic
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:43 pm

My last dream was to shot an unknown woman in the mouth.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:40 pm

You don't wanna know one of my last dreams, it was pretty sick, that's why I'm going to tell it..:

I was at the dentist and he wanted to give me a tranquilizer but I said, if you can do without it I prefer that, he looked funny at me with a misunderstanding smile (I did not know then, yet, what he was up to, I thought I was just there to fix some holes in my teeth) and then he suddenly launched the tranquilizer needle into my mouth, where it came into collision with the tip of my tongue.

Then, he began sawing into my skull with a saw and I understood why he wanted to tranquilize me and why he thought my question was funny, like if I thought I could bear trough this without it...

When he came to the bone of my head, it gave a really weird feeling, my head was vibrating in a weird way and I could hear the noise it made. He sawed a little more and I listened a little more, then came the moment I thought I could not bear this any longer and thus I wanted to hold up my hand, indicating that this was too much for me to handle. However, I thought to myself, just bite trough this, it has to be done, so I sat there, grinding my teeth.
When my skull came off, I think he did something with my brain, but I'm not sure what it was.

When I woke up, I was kind of scared, I thought perhaps maybe somebody wanted to do this to me, I still have that feeling a bit.
However, I try to put things in perspective for myself and perhaps this is something that already happened to me, since sometimes I seem to lack some parts of a human brain...
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Jordy... wrote:When I woke up, I was kind of scared, I thought perhaps maybe somebody wanted to do this to me, I still have that feeling a bit.
However, I try to put things in perspective for myself and perhaps this is something that already happened to me, since sometimes I seem to lack some parts of a human brain...

I'm sure you're reliving a memory, not dreaming in that scenario. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:40 pm

xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:51 am

Well it's official. Lucy can run Crysis with everything set to "Very High" with very little trouble (in her monitor's native resolution of 1440x900). Looks like I'll be upgrading the monitor(s) before I'll have any need to upgrade the graphics card.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:42 pm

A little over three hours until hell breaks loose here on campus. Gonna have a lot of fun VJing here. :)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:27 am

Well it's been awfully quiet in here, but happy new year folks! The Uni NYE party lasted until 6:30 so I just got home, was about to unpack my PC again (part of my VJ kit) when my alarm clock went off. I know it's not uncommon for students skipping a night's sleep but this feels a little strange. Being inside the whole time due to the party meant I didn't get out until dawn - meaning I have not seen a single firework. It sure doesn't feel like a January 1st.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:50 am

Alright, screw it. Triple post!

Jelco

Return to “Introversion Lounge”